News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Boats, barges and ships

Started by The Hood, September 27, 2009, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Two more river buses - the River Runner 150 and 200 series which both operate on the Thames.

sdog

A hover craft landing dock would be a nice adition :-)

Tilting the concrete slab, to create an incline leading to the water. Slicing the back of the building to leave something that's just a facade and portal. (to be joined with a fitting station building on the adjacent tile. If blend files are available and blender set up perhaps not very difficult.
(Not trained to do it myself though, sorry.)

The Hood

Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, moving onto seagoing catamarans, the "Our Lady" class of 1986 which were used by Sealink between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

AP

Hovercraft dock: see picture here. It's just a particularly wide slipway. There are 3 of them on the Solent, at Southsea, Ryde and Lee (where the hovercraft museum is, where they keep the baby hovercraft inside the belly of the big cross-channel car carrying hovercraft!)

At the risk of causing chaos - don't forget technically hovercraft can drive on land as well...  :o

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

treiskin

Here is a suggestion for a catamaran ferry. The sea cat (image as an attachment) is a trans channel ferry that serves a Dover to Calle, France. I hope you add it as a ferry!

sdog

Quote from: The Hood on November 26, 2012, 10:21:17 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, moving onto seagoing catamarans, the "Our Lady" class of 1986 which were used by Sealink between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6771/hscourlady.jpg

please see attached image*, as an illustration of what i meant. The correct term is as AP pointed out slipway.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*a manipulation of yours.

ӔO

pretty cool

no, make that very cool
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

greenling

nice very nice.
I hope that i nearly have time to play simutrans.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

The Hood

Continuing with small catamarans, the FastCat class of 1996 which superceded the previous catamarans on the Isle of Wight route.

greenling

The Hood
This ship looks very hot out in the Yellow color.  ;)

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

And to complete the set, the most modern Solent catamaran, the Wight Ryder:

jamespetts

greenling

The Hood
Cam the ships at monday in the svn?

kierongreen

The Hood

Onto larger ocean-going catamarans - the Incat 96m catamaran with a capacity up to 900 pax.

jamespetts

greenling

The Hood
The SWhip on the Photo looks very good out. :thumbsup:

The Hood

A more modern and larger version of the above - the Incat 112m catamaran:

And an earlier 74m version (1990):

The Hood

This board has gone very quiet, but at least the shipbuilding continues apace... Next up the Stena Line HSS 1500 class catamaran:

jamespetts

A seriously impressive developing variety of catamarans!

The Hood

This isn't technically a catamaran (despite the SuperSeaCat branding!) but a fast ferry: the MDV 1200:

jamespetts

Very nice! You have been busy...

The Hood

Now to make a set of cross-channel ferries. Starting with the most recent, the 2011 "Spirit Class" used by P&O. For the RoRo ferries I am coding them as passenger vehicles with three optional mail, piece and cooled goods holds, using the same idea I've just introduced for early sailing ships. This is to represent the fact that HGVs can and do use these ferries.

jamespetts

greenling

Super.
That go very fast with the Painting.

ӔO

wow, someone has been busy this month!

great work

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Turns out modern ships are quite quick to make because they are quite simple shapes. Here's a couple more - the P&O Super European ferries. Originally built in 1991 as freight ferries (i.e. for HGVs) some were rebuilt in 2003 as conventional passenger car/HGV ferries. This would be good to replicate in experimental.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 18, 2012, 02:36:16 PM
Turns out modern ships are quite quick to make because they are quite simple shapes. Here's a couple more - the P&O Super European ferries. Originally built in 1991 as freight ferries (i.e. for HGVs) some were rebuilt in 2003 as conventional passenger car/HGV ferries. This would be good to replicate in experimental.

Looking lovely! May I ask - is the second graphic the rebuilt version of the first (or vice versa)?

Edit: Incidentally, there is much to be said for having these HGV ferries as having a much lower loading time, but much lower capacity, than, say, container ships (and container ships in turn having a substantially lower loading time than conventionally loaded ships).

The Hood

James, the second image is the original freight version, with the HGV deck visible and substantially less passenger accomodation. It would make sense to me for RoRos to have lower capacity and faster loading time than container ships as you suggest.

Next up, the P&O Pride class of 1987:

ӔO

Yes, RORO type ships should be convenient and handy to use between low volume points. Container ships are, ideally, suited for high volume transport.

Colour safe chart:

AP

Do we yet have simple cross-river type ferries? Chain ferries, that sort of thing? There were obviously a lot of them at one point in the uk, before big bridges were possible/affordable... still a few operating.

sdog

Quote(and container ships in turn having a substantially lower loading time than conventionally loaded ships)

with your industry obsolescence code in experimental you have the necessary tools now to introduce containers as an actual cargo type. Such that old factory requiring piece goods closes down, new factory requires goods to be delivered to and from as containers. Except raw materials and perhaps end consumers this could apply to practically all goods.