News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Boats, barges and ships

Started by The Hood, September 27, 2009, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Another HGV ferry: the Townsend Thoresen "European" class of 1975. On the right is the original livery and on the left is the more recent P&O livery.

jamespetts

This is a rather splendid selection of boats! You have been busy.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

Hello The Hood
Is it possible to release the new vessels for all types of freight?
I have get a Little freight transportproblem in my pakset what i develop.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Greenling, the ferries will only be coded to take mail, piece and cooled goods. However there is nothing to stop you editing the dats if you want to make your own versions.

Last one for tonight - the BR Sealink "Horsa" class:

jamespetts

A very nautically productive day - magnificent!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

greenling

The Hood
yes that do i then the png and dat update on the new funktion.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

kierongreen

Good work :) Come Christmas holidays I really must get cracking on blender!

jamespetts

Quote from: kierongreen on December 19, 2012, 08:23:15 AM

I have a similar plan! I shall look forward to your output...

The Hood

Quote from: kierongreen on December 19, 2012, 08:23:15 AM

Exciting - what are you planning on drawing?

Next up the British Transport Commission's "Lord Warden" of 1952 - one of the first RoRo ferries. Shown on the right in original livery (as will be in standard), in the middle in BR sealink livery, and the vessel on the left is a Sealink British Ferries version of the Horsa.

Milko

@The Hood

Your models are amazing! The level of detail is superb, the colors perfectly in line with the rest of the pak! A job really well done!

Giuseppe

The Hood

Quote from: Milko on December 19, 2012, 04:06:10 PM
@The Hood

Your models are amazing! The level of detail is superb, the colors perfectly in line with the rest of the pak! A job really well done!

Thanks - but given I drew a lot of the rest of the pak, it would be odd if it didn't fit!

Here's the Southern Railway's "Invicta" of 1939 - a traditional passenger ship for cross-channel duties. Also carries mail in Simutrans, and I've done a sealink livery too (not shown here).

EDIT: two more:

SR's Isle of Thanet (1925)

SECR's The Queen (1903) - the first cross-channel turbine ship

greenling

Thank you for this very nice ships.

kierongreen

CalMac ferries I promised months ago are the plan!

The Hood

I'll look forward to those then.

Completing the channel ferries set, these are really a bit of a guess - a paddle steamer (date 1853) and a screw steamship (approx 1880) to fill in the timeline. The paddle steamer can take all goods types.

jamespetts

An impressive expansion of useful shipping!

The Hood

I've rescaled a number of the above images to make them larger - some of the earlier ferries ended up too small I think.

In addition, here's a cargo steamer from the 1870s...

jamespetts

Delightful!

Edit: Would you be able to upload the .blends at any point...?

greenling

Wooh. That´s go very fast the Ship building.
:o :o :o :o :o (some Friends look too.)

The Hood

Now for some tugs and barges - a wooden paddle steamer tug (1816), a steam tug (1841) and a diesel tug (1935) intended for large rivers/estuaries (e.g. Thames/Clyde).

greenling

Quote from: greenling on December 20, 2012, 01:22:35 PM
Wooh. That´s go very fast the Ship building.
:o :o :o :o :o (some Friends look too.)

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 20, 2012, 05:44:41 PM
Now for some tugs and barges - a wooden paddle steamer tug (1816), a steam tug (1841) and a diesel tug (1935) intended for large rivers/estuaries (e.g. Thames/Clyde).

Very interesting! I visited the Canal Museum in London earlier to-day; barges were often used on the wider canals of London. Are these intended to be a different sort of barge to those used on London canals - even larger, perhaps?

The Hood

They are intended to replicate ones I've seen on the Thames in London, but judging by their size they could be used on larger canals. By all means add various different types when you do your canal project.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. Would you be able to upload the .blend files?

The Hood

Just pushing them now (had to remember hjow to use git)...

https://github.com/JamesHood/pak128.Britain-blend-files/tree/master/boats

Any others you need?

jamespetts

It's probably better to upload all of them, in case anyone (including me) wants to make anything and use them as a base. You already have the narrowboats, do you?

The Hood

All of the boat blends should be there

jamespetts

greenling

excuse me.
blend files are the same who png files?

jamespetts

No - the .blend files are files produced in Blender, a 3-d modelling programme. In Pak128.Britain, graphics are produced by making 3-d models in Blender, then rendering those models  from different angles to create two dimensional images of the sort used by Simutrans. The .png files are the two dimensional images.

In order to produce new graphics, the best thing to do is to edit existing .blend files used to produce some of the existing graphics, then re-render the images to produce new .png files.

greenling

Can you for me try to translat blend files in png files?

The Hood

Greenling, the png files you see in SVN are all generated from blender. The blend files are so other people can use the existing 3D models and adapt them to create new models of their own which they then render into png files. The blends in that folder already have pngs made from them. If you want to adapt your own 3D models, download blender...

greenling

The Hood
it blender heavy to Learn?
and gives blender for windows 7 64bit?

The Hood

kierongreen

Built in the mid 1970s CalMac's Island Class vessels were based on WWII landing craft. They serve on the west coast of Scotland, including providing a lifeline link to some islands in the Inner Hebrides and are capable of taking up to 6 cars or one lorry in addition to 30 or so passengers. The bow loading ramp means that they need minimal facilities to dock, usually just beaching themselves on a simple concrete slip. However the design also means that any vehicles need to reverse down the slip onto the boat (speaking from personal experience this can be a bit tricky and nerve wracking!). Most are now retired, however a couple are in service, although probably not for much longer!

The Dat isn't balanced - introduction year, speed, tonnage and passenger capacity should be correct (although the capacity is theoretical, usually the number of vehicles on board would limit the comfortable capacity to much less than 75). Retire date is set as the introduction for the Loch Class vessels (similar, but slightly bigger and double ended, to follow shortly...).

Hopefully I've aligned the images correctly, I've set the scale to be half the normal railway vehicle scale and this seems to fit in reasonably with other ships. The livery is roughly speaking what they would have had when they were introduced.

jamespetts

Very useful! We do need some island ferries to go with The Hood's excellent longer distance vessels.