News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[feature request] end-to-end journey simulation

Started by asaphxiix, January 20, 2013, 02:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

The basic idea is for there to be a way to view the details of a journey between to indirectly connected stops. Currently, this information is only available for directly connected stop, and thus, one has to manually regard every link in the routing chain to figure out problems and misconducts. The ability to view the journey details (connecting stops and travel durations between them), either by a query or an information arrow from the 'via', 'destination', 'origin' lists in the station window would be very helpful for this purpose, and also nice and cool to see on its own.

I was going to publish this in extension requests for ST standard, but then realized there are no waiting or travel times there, so it doesn't seem very relevant (although could still be nice, I suppose).

I was also thinking since all the data exists, this is mostly an interface feature, so it shouldn't be very hard to introduce?

jamespetts

Hmm - this would potentially be an extremely long list: imagine a massive map covered with cities, all connected to each other, each with large intricate 'bus networks. This might entail a list with dozens of thousands of entries.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

I see your point; A thousand stops would mean a million entries in total, but must it be a single list? If it were separated to a list for every station, then that list would be no longer then the stations list. A query, filter or even mere sorting tool would of course be helpful in this aspect, so it would be quite manageable, wouldn't it?

I do think this point is quite important for game play transparency -journey time calculaltion determines routing, and without it the player is almost completely blind not only to the reason for routing problems, but it is even hard to monitor the routing itself.

unless people think that not having this option is a better realism for real life problems of transport companies? I do not disqualify such an argument, but I can't think of one.

jamespetts

A nested list as you suggest would probably work and be useful, but it would be quite a bit of work to implement, and it is not a priority at present. I shall keep it in mind, however. Thank you for the suggestion!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

At least with the static routing such tables are available in Experimental. It should be much easier to generate such lists than in standard.

jamespetts

I do wonder how this might work when we take into account the walking time from each building to each possible starting stop within an expanded radius of probably three or four kilometres...

asaphxiix

yes, that will be a quite a change in the way routing works, wouldn't it?
But I think this potential feature would still be only slightly less useful, if at all, if, say, the original idea of showing routing between stops alone is implemented.