News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Bridges

Started by The Hood, December 10, 2011, 10:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Please do send the XCF - that would be helpful. Canals should in principle have the same range of elevated ways as any other type of transport - certainly, most things that can be a aqueduct should be able to be an elevated way for canals.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

I'm just working on an equivalent version for bridges, then I'll upload the two together.

The Hood

Quick update: I've now made bridge versions of the xcf files and made new graphics for the three arched bridges so that they are consistent with the new elevated ways. The xcf files are in the git repository. Overview of technique:

For each bridge you need to copy the following layers to a new png file, in this order:
1) background layer
2) track layer (depending on which track colour you want)
3) rail image (depending on which track you want - wssr does not need a rail image)
4) brickwork layer (depending on the colour of the brickwork you want)
5) snow layer (if snow image)

Obviously we can create loads of variants using this. The ones I've done have created the track layers using the colourisation of the tracks from the wssr images as described in kierongreens "New Graphics" thread. The brickwork is altered from the "Brick" layer (the original render output from the original brick viaduct) according to the following settings:

Masonry: colourise Hue: 40 Sat: 25 Lightness 0
Dark Brick: colourise Hue 10 Sat: 40 Lightness -45

Next I'm planning doing a similar trick with the concrete rail bridges in order to create consistent bridge and elevated way graphics for faster tracks, all using the same concrete bridge deck.

jamespetts

Thank you - this is interesting. Might I ask how the technique might be adapted to aqueducts?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

If you look at the xcf file you will see. For the bridge deck you may be able to reuse the existing layers, or perhaps simply cut and move them wider or narrower (I'm hoping this will work when I come to doing more narrow gauge bridges). Alternatively start with an existing bridge and use the "f" tool to cut away unwanted bits. I'm currently making a new concrete deck in blender, copying the deck into GIMP and removing the central section this way so the track layer will show through. Tracks and deck are obviously on different layers so can be aligned separately, which was something that was not working well when I tried to do everything correct first time in blender.

Obviously you will need to replace the tracks layers with a water layer - for the elevated ways this will simply be a case of copying the entire image from the standard way file (minus background colour) onto a new layer and moving so it aligns properly.

The time-consuming part is setting up the bridge structure/deck - once you've got those in place and copied the way layer, it is quick to produce lots of different graphics.

The Hood

Update: completed concrete elevated bridges and ways. Available in 175, 200, 225, 320 km/h versions to match tracks.

kierongreen

jamespetts

Junna

Have they been added to any source-file library yet?

The Hood

Not yet - I'm still making tweaks and will release all the rail bridges and updated tracks in one large bundle.

greenling

The Hood
The photo from the New concrete elevated bridges and ways are nice.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

This should complete the rail elevated ways set - an iron girder elevated way and bridge loosely based on the Liverpool Overhead Railway.

kierongreen

jamespetts

sdog

This looks very good out!

Combuijs

Quote from: sdog on January 25, 2013, 11:14:04 PM
This looks very good out!

You should go to the doctor, you've walked into a contagious illness   :o
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Junna

Quote from: The Hood on January 25, 2013, 10:11:14 PM
This should complete the rail elevated ways set - an iron girder elevated way and bridge loosely based on the Liverpool Overhead Railway.

Apropos of the LOR, some units like those originally used on it would be useful as early EMU's.

The Hood

We probably do need some early LOR units for that now. I'll try to remember to draw them when I get round to doing surface stock for the tube. Anyway, here's the latest work in progress - a concrete elevated way for roads ideal for doing motorways with:

jamespetts

Ahh - Spaghetti Junction!

greenling

Woh
The Hood
You have make nice Roads.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

diesseits

@TheHood Excellent. Any hint when these may be included in the nightly build?

The Hood

Fairly soon. For road I want to add a cheap iron girder structure (similar to the one I have just made for rail so it won't take long) and a wooden structure. I don't think there's much need for different road elevated ways as (A) they were not important historically before the motorways came along and (B) most people are more bothered about trains in game. I intend to run an update when I've done those two.

greenling

The Hood
That the Bridge cam soon in the Pakset it Cool.

Bear789

Looks great!

My two cents about el roads: while definetly not a priority, it can be good to have at least one for each era: they are the only way to build a diagonal bridge, or a bridge that doesn't require a starting slope. Not something that you do commonly, but can be helpfull in some circumstances (for example when you build a railway in a trench through a city).

The Hood

Well, here's an earlier one: a lightweight iron girder road bridge/elevated way...

jamespetts

Very interesting! Out of interest, are there any specific prototypes for this?

The Hood

Not that I'm aware of - I don't know of too many non-concrete elevated roads. It was just a case of recycling graphics from the railways and the tarmac road - it's certainly a plausible structure.

The Hood

Next one: a wooden trestle road bridge - this will give a continuous range of elevated roadways on the timeline now.

jamespetts

Hmm - did such things exist back then...?

The Hood

I'm sure they did somewhere or other. I can't imagine they'd be particularly useful in game as rails will be far more important, but equally I'm sure there are niche uses.

ӔO

they would be excellent for spanning a bridge diagonally, or making compact bridges that are easier to replace.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Here are some narrow gauge bridges - there are also elevated way variants for them:

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

greenling

The Hood
The Bridge looks very cool out.
It makes the Narrowgauge more usable.

The Hood

Quote from: ӔO on February 11, 2013, 09:41:12 PM
that was quick!

I had all the parts and the xcf set up already from standard gauge bridges - it was just a case of substituting the narrow gauge tracks on the track layer. Unfortunately the wooden one will take longer as it doesn't have a ballast track as a base...