News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Mercedes Citaro

Started by Izzy, January 08, 2009, 08:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy

I've create Mercedes Citoro bus in 2 lenght versions
Pleas have a look an tel me is it ok and is it good enough for official pack.

[attachment deleted by admin]

VS

Good start! But it is very "boxy". There is already something called "citaro" included, so take a look at that and you'll see what I mean.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Izzy

I have based my painting on real bus. I now there is bus in the game named Citaro but in my opinion it dosen't look like real Citaro
I can name my bus using full name Mercedes O530 Citaro and Mercedes O530L Citaro.
My bus look boxy becaus original is boxy. I think every contemporary city bus in 128 pak sale will look boxy maybe some UK dubledeckers will look diffrent.

vilvoh

wOw!! it's really nice...I don't see it boxy but perhaps it's due to that beautifull color scheme. It's simple, bright, plain but with contrast...good choice. IMHO, you should add more detail to the sides, some ads or small decoration. Anyway, the front part is really well painted. Again, two thumbs up for this excelent begining. Have you included special night colors for windows and lights?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Well... looks like there are more types.
http://images.google.cz/images?q=mercedes+citaro

Anyway, as long as the roof is just a homogeneous area, it looks bad. All big areas with single colour look bad. Or artificial. Usually when looking at anything, there is not a single colour, and seeing it in game feels wrong (unless the style is deliberately chosen - like comic pak).

I understand that you used player colour, and can't vary it or it looks like ****. But you must try to do something. Highlights of edges, air conditioning, blah blah... experiment... the basis is definitively not bad, but it is still missing some polish.

EDIT: perhaps the boxy" feel comes for corners and edges. Just try to use some highlights there and see if it looks better?

BTW, one thing more: there is really low contrast between glass and its frame. Maybe it is intention- then it's ok. Just saying.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

TonyBzt

Quote from: Izzy on January 08, 2009, 08:47:04 PM
I've create Mercedes Citoro bus in 2 lenght versions
Pleas have a look an tel me is it ok and is it good enough for official pack.

I think it's very well. It could be included into the upcoming pak128.german. We need a lot of modern objects.

The Hood

You could add some dirt on the roof - that will make it less homogenous and boxy.  Easy to do by adding a texture if you painted using blender!

Izzy

Thank you all for your comments.
Reason why I have chosen this bus is because it is probably most popular modern city bus in Europe and it have got many versions.
My plan is to create 9m O520 Cito, 18m artic O530G Citaro and 20m 4 axle artic CapaCity but before I start further development i wonted to now is it worth it.
It is no my intention to create buses which looks good in the game but buses looks as much as possible similar to real versions.
I was considering to add more details but this is extremely small scale so with more details it will look "messy" in my opinion.

I want to finish at least this ones but I don't want to spend time to try match data to existing buses, so PLEASE! if Zeno or VS could create some template or some kinde calculator to work out vehicles data.

By the way that is not my first development. Because I am bus lover to transport passengers in simutrans I am using only buses and because the was no suitable vehicles for me in the game I have created Setra 431 dubledecker coach but I think it was too big for official pak so before new development I wanted to be sure that my work will be used.

Cheers     

jamespetts

Your model looks quite reasonable - I think that the roof is fine, but that it might benefit from more detail on the window areas. I should love to see an articulated Citaro in the London red livery :-) Would you consider releasing an open-source version of your Citaro that could be included in PakBritain?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

I have not tried it in game yet (no pak) so I can't really say how much it fits the scale - but just a quick look says it is too bulky.

Izzy

Final version at last.
I have made some changes according your comments

Enjoy!!

PS
UK version of O530 i O530G hopefully tomorow

jamespetts

Excellent! Definitely improved. Can we take it that this is an open source release?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

VS

Oh, that is certainly better :)

DirrrtyDirk

Yes, those are very good, indeed!

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Izzy

I am happy that you like it.

Yes, it is open source

Like I said UK version of citaros done.

Enjoy!

emaxectranspoorte

They are really nice. Excellent work. :) IMHO.

jamespetts

Izzy - excellent! Glad that they're open source. Although, I thought that the UK ones were all red...?

Izzy

Red buses are at london almost everywere at UK buses got mixed colours.
Actually my citaros livery is based on new national express livery for buses and is similar to arriva livery.
I have used player coours so if you want red bus just choose suitable colour at player colour menu.

jamespetts

Ahh, player colours? I didn't realise. That's very helpful - thank you :-)

Zeno

Very nice, and better in-game running through my streets ;)
As I see everybody likes them, I can generate some balanced values (running cost and purchase price) for your buses if you want, Izzy.
Nice work, don't give up!

Izzy

Power and vehicle weight are original exept CapaCity I was very supprised taht Mercedes is using exactly same engine like in Citaro G so I make it almost 2 tons lighter than real bus. Price and running cost are based on data from B10 Kaisei Bus.
I think better balanced values could be good idea.

Zeno

Using your physical parameters I get 1.11 cr/sq for each of the buses and 0.29 for the extension.
Then the purchasing costs would be 15 610 00 cr for the O530, 15 970 00 for the O530G and 2 290 00 for the O530G extension.

gertl

The Download link doesn't work ???

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Which download link? But I tried the various .zip links in this thread, and they appear to work to me...

Diegote

gertl

But, When i Download it , there came a Error message that the zip folder is not working

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Isaac Eiland-Hall