News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

The Simutrans Forum Stats

Started by IgorEliezer, March 19, 2013, 12:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Do you pay attention to the forum stats?

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?action=stats

To be honest, that thing looks like a hellish soup of numbers. But... behold, I made some graphics:

(click to expand)

I've been following it for ages. Interesting to see how it behaves as the time passes by, and how certain things influence the stats.

The highlights:

- New posts/topics: May, June and July are the least active months, probably due to summer vacations. Winter months (near new year's eve) are the most active, why? ;)
- New members: big drop in 2011. Probably due to anti-spam measures. Small peak in November 2012, not sure why; I would need to check out the posts of this period to see.
- Most online: there's no consistent behavior.
- Page views: surely there's a steady increase of page views. It may show how the forum has been accessed by visitors from the Internet (and how we are known in the Internet) since a small amount of visitors opt for creating a forum account (~5%). The peak is in November 2012 with 1,096,183 views. There's a possibility that March will close with 1.1~1.2 M views.
- All: The graphs start from November because the forum crashed at 10-October-2009, hence it can't return any stats prior to that date.

Combuijs

QuoteNew posts/topics: May, June and July are the least active months, probably due to summer vacations. Winter months (near new year's eve) are the most active, why?

For obvious reasons, I think. Most people have nice things to do out of the house in summer (spend the evening on the terrace with a glass of wine etc.), but when winter comes in, it's back to the computer again and playing games again. Quite natural. (That is, for us on the Northern hemisphere. Those antipodes might think differently... Or better, think the same, but do it at an opposite time of the year... Just an indication that most of our user group is from the Northern hemisphere. Anyway, who want to stand on their heads all the time...  8)).
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Spacethingy

Quote from: Combuijs on March 19, 2013, 12:36:26 PM
Spend the evening on the terrace with a glass of wine etc...

...with a laptop playing Simutrans of course! A favorite summer pass-time of mine! Sunset and pak128, what more could a guy want?

Never realised we had a stats page, thanks for the link (I'm doing a stats degree, never say no to raw data...  ;D ).
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Sarlock

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 19, 2013, 12:24:57 PM
- Most online: there's no consistent behavior.

How many of those are actual readers and not bots?  If you look at what many of these "users" online are reading, they are reading topics that are several years old.  Possible, but that many?

Thanks for the graphics, I love data :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

Quote from: Sarlock on March 19, 2013, 05:18:02 PM
How many of those are actual readers and not bots?  If you look at what many of these "users" online are reading, they are reading topics that are several years old.  Possible, but that many?

That depends on the topic. Help topics can be very helpful and popular year after year, but if the visitors are reading lots of old of off-topic stuff, they're most likely bots.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Sarlock on March 19, 2013, 05:18:02 PM
We don't know how many of "visitors" are actually humans, we ban IPs, hostnames and users as much as we can when we spot them as spambots. The forum also tracks spiders and indexers; as of this post, there are 4 spiders indexing the forum right now (1 Omgili, 1 Google and 2 Baidu). But, if we look closer, there's a slight similarity between "New Topics" and "Most Online": peaks and troughs somewhat coincide with each other even thought they look different at the first glance (see graphic attached). We can infer that more new topics/posts attract more readers to the forum, plus ~99% of topics/posts are made by humans.

EDIT: New graphic.

greenling

Hello IgorEliezer
gives here in the forum a tool how can view all exits threads?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

IgorEliezer

"exits threads?"... what do you mean by "exits threads"?

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

greenling

Yes i want view on all existing thread out the forum.
and sorry that i at 20:46 have get tipping faults.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

IgorEliezer

There are almost 10,000 threads in the forum, precisely: 111,987 posts in 9,703 threads. It's impossible to see them all at once.

You can use the search tool if you want something specific. http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?action=search;advanced;search= . Or simply browse the forum.

IgorEliezer

March is over. At least for the forum.

And my forecast failed:

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 19, 2013, 12:24:57 PMThe peak was in November 2012 with 1,096,183 views. There's a possibility that March will close with 1.1~1.2 M views.
Monthly Summary    New Topics    New Posts    New Members    Most Online    Page views
February 2013        135                1,659             44                       83                  1,014,945
March 2013             142                1,647             55                      114                 1,057,000

ӔO

might have had something to do with simcity blunder?

or maybe something to do with our site moving after having issues with it.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Vonjo

Quote from: IgorEliezer on April 01, 2013, 12:12:31 AM
March is over. At least for the forum.

And my forecast failed
No Slashdot effect? ;D

IgorEliezer

We had a significant change in the stats:

Monthly Summary    New Topics    New Posts    New Members    Most Online    Page views
April 2013                132                1455            50                      106                 879674
May 2013                101                 1420           37                       112                 865514
June 2013               120                 1374           45                       190                 916948
July 2013               184               2026           35                      134                1540577 <-- the last summer was that bad for you?
August 2013            174                2119           47                       113                 1407698
September 2013      176                1963           45                       132                 1318671

greenling

Hello IgorEliezer
Yes i have view in the The Simutrans Forum Stats that we have a break in by the view on of the threads.
And i have remark that i under the 10 ten of the most onlined user stay.
And i have beginning to check old threads after old pakfiles on there never on more think.