News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Djohaal's assorted Stuff

Started by Djohaal, April 09, 2011, 01:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djohaal

So I decided to recycle my development thread for the monorail cleanup so I can put all my works in a single place.

Without further ado:

QuoteSchwebebahn Adjustments

This little update cleans up the Schwebebhan sprites a little. They have transparent spots in the source, alongside some excessive diagonal struts, which while realistic, cause unecessary clutter in the renderer when making downsampled images for zoomed out views. This edit seeks to remedy that issue by keeping only the orthogonal struts and fixing the transparent spots.

I also adjusted all the ways max speed to be = 120km/h so no longer your elevated urban suspended monorails are limited to 70km/h
[size=78%]

Final version. As you see I didn't tackle the glitched depot yet because that's still somewhat beyond my skills (I have no idea how the front-back layers work or how to arrange the sprites in a sheet) but hopefully I'll get there someday.

Download Links:

Compiled Version

Sources

[/size]

Station Retirement Adjustments

This modification fixes the following stations which have retirement dates but have no analogous replacement:

Coaltrainstop.dat - No "modern" bulk loading station
Container1TrainStop.dat - Gets replaced by a more crowded version, while essentially the same thing, I kept it for sandbox purposes,
Almuthof_StationBlg.dat - Preserved for architectural style.
airport1990_big_postofffice.dat - Retires at 2040 god knows why
airport1990_small_postoffice - Same

Download Link (source only)

If there's interest in making those changes official please do tell me what needs to be done to incorporate them into the official pak128 build.
My building projects are currently on hold until i can figure out a better workflow.

Zeno

Wow, that's amazing man! It looks really cute :)
In order to match ST size... open the gimp, measure, if too big then make it smaller, go to the gimp, meaure... not very scientific, but works :P

DirrrtyDirk

Very nice indeed. The problem is, in Simutrans scale, there won't be much left of all the amazing little details, I'm afraid.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

Really impressive. What software do you use, Djohaal?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

IgorEliezer

Really it's a nice start for pak512.  ;D

Djohaal

Quote from: Zeno on April 09, 2011, 09:35:21 AM
Wow, that's amazing man! It looks really cute :)
In order to match ST size... open the gimp, measure, if too big then make it smaller, go to the gimp, meaure... not very scientific, but works :P

The question is, I don't know in which axis to measure.  ;D It can also be downsampled to proper size, it might blur some details but smart filtering can fix it.  Chopping it up for the game to read is the main mystery for me.

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on April 09, 2011, 10:53:03 AM
Very nice indeed. The problem is, in Simutrans scale, there won't be much left of all the amazing little details, I'm afraid.

Actually those little details do matter. At very small scale they get turned into very subtle noise, shades and patterns, which help to ease the look of the buildings and gives them a bigger sense of texture and shape. The final result while not as detailed still keeps a certain pleasantness to the eye which is different from flat-drawed objects.

Quote from: vilvoh on April 09, 2011, 11:39:09 AM
Really impressive. What software do you use, Djohaal?

I used 3dsmax and vray for this one.

Quote from: IgorEliezer on April 09, 2011, 11:59:39 AM
Really it's a nice start for pak512.  ;D

Does the simutrans engine support that?  ;D

http://i.imgur.com/qKnYQ.jpg Full size image

All four views, this one is pretty much finished. Just gotta resize and dice, help would be appreciated.

Zeno

Djohaal, you can pick one of those views and put it over an existing tile template, which you can pick from this gallery. If needed, you can use the gimp to put some of these tile templates together to get (example) a 2x3 tile template, then put your building on top. The result will be self-explanatory :)
Btw, at first sight I would say it's a bit too tall, but I might be wrong (it's just a first sight impression).

Djohaal

Quote from: Zeno on April 09, 2011, 05:13:02 PM
Djohaal, you can pick one of those views and put it over an existing tile template, which you can pick from this gallery. If needed, you can use the gimp to put some of these tile templates together to get (example) a 2x3 tile template, then put your building on top. The result will be self-explanatory :)
Btw, at first sight I would say it's a bit too tall, but I might be wrong (it's just a first sight impression).

The result is all but self explanatory for me. I'm trying to use tilecutter atm, but not with much sucess.

Zeno

I would not use tilecutter until you have the right thing done. I think you should try to fit it into a 2x1 tile space, which looks to me the more convenient size for this building. 2x1 is near half size than now.
Also you can take a capture of another building inside the game then use gimp to put your building next to it and compare. That will help with sizing.

Djohaal

Quote from: Zeno on April 09, 2011, 05:57:41 PM
I would not use tilecutter until you have the right thing done. I think you should try to fit it into a 2x1 tile space, which looks to me the more convenient size for this building. 2x1 is near half size than now.
Also you can take a capture of another building inside the game then use gimp to put your building next to it and compare. That will help with sizing.

I managed to get it on the proper size. How to dice it up on the tiles and assemble the source image/dat reference is still a mystery for me.

I managed to get it in-game. And yes it is a bit oversized. Time to retrofit this into a 2x1.  ;D

Retroffited, now with adorable red shingles roof.

Final version, pending resizing, cutting and game implementation.  :)

update: It seems either tilecutter didn't like the building or I'm too dumb, because it's not cutting it properly at the moment.

Implementaiton sucessful. It needs some more work though, I'll shrink it some 5% of the base size and add paving around it. This will take a while though and my schedule is busy this week :(

Ashley

Looks great :)

If you're having problems with TileCutter please do let me know which bits you found difficult and I'll try and improve the interface to make it easier :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Fabio

Awesome!!!

And nice to have attracted new painters, too!!!

Welcome, Djohaal!!!

Zeno

Hey Djohaal, that fits in size much better now!
Anyway, I'd use not-so-redish shingles (IMHO they're too shiny) and maybe lower only a bit the roof's angle would also help, but overall is outstanding :)

VS

I'd second the redness feeling, and perhaps think about the roof window. Something tells me that it might not reflect so much sky blue...? The final rendition is jarring.

Otherwise, a masterpiece :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Djohaal

Yes the redness needs a touch of desaturation and the window needs some touch-ups too, although I think I'll do away with it, I'm not happy with the result. However I'm a bit overtasked this week, but I'll resume work as soon as possible.

Djohaal

Just because I feel like bumping my own thread  :D

A quick job on the water tower, still gonna detail the building under it. This will be one of the water towers buildings for the water chain. I plan on making a brick reservoir and another modern tower, alongside with a bigger water supply for bigger cities. The water source building design still is pending.

Zeno

Looks promising :) Gonna be very big? Maybe 2x2??

Djohaal

Quote from: Zeno on April 17, 2011, 03:32:34 PM
Looks promising :) Gonna be very big? Maybe 2x2??

Probably 1x1, low consumption like the gas stations. A 2x2 one with higher consumption will be made, and will probably require trains to supply it.

Markohs

it whould be great to leave the blender source archive of these models and all future ones archived somewere for the time I have the time to come back to Simutrans3D and use those models. :)

Djohaal

Bump for justice as I decided to center all my stuff on this thread.

greenling

That it a very good idea Djohaal.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Djohaal

Updated with the retirement fix for stations. I'd like to know what is the procedure for changes to commit to the official pak128 build. Also forgive my ignorance, but why hasn't the maglev pack from SNFOS been incorporated as part pak128?

VS

The procedure to commit is to be a team member ;) SNFOS is not included, because, well, the big boxy bright-coloured strong-outlined things fit better into a comic pack...

Buildings in last generation should not really retire. That's for the airports (fixed in svn). As to the other things, I am not sure if "never retire anything" is the way to go. The menus should not be full of stuff. Almuthof retires on purpose, for example, because... why build it all the time? Same for coal station. Adding a tipple as timeline successor would be way better than keeping some item alive just because one might want to build it later.

Regarding container stations, I think it would be better to merge the two (lower capacity gfx as ends), as there is little point in having both, differing only in level. Players either have to carefully optimize their money, and will go with some even more low-cost solution, or they can spend big bucks and do not choose. So the only difference is looks, and there is not that much difference...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Djohaal

I really like the maglevs, but I can understand where you want to get. For the container stations, if you want to play purely by the numbers it is pointless, but I like to use both of them to give my stations some variety on their looks.

Menu clutter could be avoided if we could have the game randomly pick the variants of a same station block for different tiles, for instance.

Djohaal

So.. the dead still live!

I present the great bronze teapot.

This monumental monument ( 8) ) is a tribute to all the brave explorers of the 3d-to-pixelart workflow. I've managed to adapt Sarlock's guide to 3dsmax which improved my workflow by a 100%. This teapot monument is a 2x2 monstrosity which I made to test out some different approaches to rendering trees and specially the 3d-shadow-to-sprite and edge darkening reduction workflow. You can see it worked superbly well, I'll share the secret once I sort some mysterious weirdness that happened with this thing (also after I finish the other views. I accidentally saved the merged layers PSD and lost all my work on this). It also has a silvery line of misalignment which needs solving too. I wonder if I could add a smoke sprite coming out of the spout.

Sarlock

Well done!  Your render came out very nicely.

The trees look nice... it's hard to do a rendered tree without an alpha channel.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Djohaal

Another idea I'm tossing around. I think it's past time pak128 reached the atomic age!

Currently planned to be a 3x3 but I'm not too sure, might be a little underwhelming. I picture a chain like this:

Uranium/Thorium? mine -> enrichment plant (bulk goods)
enrichment plant -> Nuke plant (Fuel rods, maybe a specific car, or peice goods. Will be weird if it hauls wool on the route back. Glow in the dark sweaters anyone?)
Nuke plant -> Nuclear waste disposal. -> Again nuclear load, can't be hauled in conventional stuff.

Also this would be a very low-troughtput system as nuclear plants need to refill their fuel every 5 or 10 years in real life. Goods would be sent on small scale.

Another idea would be fusion power plant after 2030's. It could be linked to the water chain I was working such as:

Water plant -> Deuterium Production -> Fusion plant -> Nuclear waste disposal (fusion also produces lots of fertilized nuclear waste due to neutron escape, however it's all short-lived nuclear material that becomes safe in 50-100 years)

Can we render custom smoke sprites? We might need a better/bigger sprite for the cooling towers.

Vladki

Hi, nice graphics.

Simutrans power plants cannot produce any waste or other byproducts. Only electricity and smoke... I tried to code such thing and it produced waste but no electricity.

Sent using recycled electrons.

Djohaal

Two more renders. Switched it to 4x4. The overall modelling is done, now I just gotta add the details.

So power plants can't produce waste, what a pity. Maybe uranium ore + chemicals -> fuel rods -> nuclear plant. Would be a good use for the extra chemicals I always have lying around.

Also can we make "inverse" production chains? A single resource producer for several (small) consumers? I was thinking about adding grocery stores or something of the kind.

Vladki

Wow really nice. I just feel that there are too few cooling towers. Czech and slovak nuclear plants have two per reactor. And also a small regular chimney, but I don't know why...

There should be no problem having one factory/farm supplying many small shops. Have a look on pak128.britain or search for my addon 'samoska'

Sent using recycled electrons.

gauthier

First time I see this thread ... all your work is really amazing !

Djohaal

Ptchoo! Still not too happy with the aslphalt texture at the parking. Might just make a mask and blend with pixel art asphalt. The area without floor will be transparent to blend with the terrain. I also adjusted the texture of the cooling towers in the second render.

Sarlock

Really nice texturing, well done!

Nitpicking... the shadows on the two cooling towers is not consistent.  I assume this is due to the angle of the sun lamp - perhaps the sun is too close.

Sun in pak128 is 60 degrees, due south.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Djohaal

EDIT: GAH forum mauled my post. Here we go again.

Sarlock: Well spotted! I fixed the sun's distance already.

I've been trying out adding a outline effect to make the render a little more similar to pak128's hand-painted assets.

Toned down outlines, seem better:

gwalch

Second version is better, because first one seems to be for comic paks !
Good job anyway :)
French Elements Creator :
-By Rail with trains and trams : X3800 Picasso and BB36000 Astride - trams from Nantes, St Etienne, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Reims...
-By Road with Trucks : Main painter for the "french trucks company", with trucks from 50ies (Willeme "Squale Nose") to 2000 (Renault AE500 "Magnum) and a lot of trailers... and with Trolley and Buses : Irisbus Cristalis, Man Lion's City, Irisbus Magelys...
- Industry : Collaborator for french food with Wine and Cheese...