News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Compact City Cluster generation?

Started by Mazze, March 14, 2014, 07:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazze

Hello together,

I wanted to setup a game (year 2005) where some of the up to 2048 cities would form clusters like in the real world. But every time, there are more than 10 tiles between the cities, if not more. Instead, I would like some of them to be very close, if not border on border then maybe only a few tiles away.

I already tried to set city_isolation_factor to 1 (minimum), "Cities like water" to 0, number of cities to 2048 and with 130 big cities and 90 clusters a cluster size of 100 or 10. I don't see the effect I desire.

Does someone know if a closer cluster is achievable?

Thank you for your help, and have a good time,

(Lions_)Mazze

PS: Sometimes even on a big map not all 2048 cities are created, even though it would seem there is more than enough room on the map ...

MCollett

Quote from: Mazze on March 14, 2014, 07:20:26 AM
PS: Sometimes even on a big map not all 2048 cities are created, even though it would seem there is more than enough room on the map ...

That can happen if you make the cluster size small: there may be enough room on the map, but there isn't enough room in any of the clusters.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Mazze

Quote from: MCollett on March 14, 2014, 09:28:34 AM
That can happen if you make the cluster size small: there may be enough room on the map, but there isn't enough room in any of the clusters.

The problem also seems to appear in other conditions: When setting the number of clusters to zero, I cannot get 2048 cities on a 2048^2 map, even though there is much landscape left. Try out for yourself, maybe you can find some settings that work out.

But possibly this is a bug ...

Regards,

Mazze

jamespetts

There is also a city separation factor that requires cities to be at least a certain distance apart: if not enough cities can be built, only a reduced number of cities will appear.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mazze

Quote from: jamespetts on March 15, 2014, 11:56:04 AM
There is also a city separation factor that requires cities to be at least a certain distance apart: if not enough cities can be built, only a reduced number of cities will appear.

So you do not mean city_isolation_factor (as I mentioned in my first post) but something else that cannot be changed by the user?

Are you able -- with any settings -- to create a 2048*2048 map with 2048 cities? I am not, and I don't know why...

Thank you for your efforts!

Regards,

Mazze

jamespetts

I must confess, I have not looked in detail at the city placement code - I was indeed referring to the city_isolation_factor.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.