News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Tunnel errors.

Started by jarauh, August 25, 2008, 08:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarauh

Building tunnels leads to error messages that are not very conclusive. As many issues need to be considered when building tunnels it would be nice to have a special "tunnel help" page and a link on every error messages. For example building a tunnel entry always builds one square into the tunnel. If there already is a track at this place at this tile, there is an error message.

(pak64 at 100.0)

prissi

Write a better help text. The help is nearly always outdated.

Kgm13

how difficult is it to write the help text, as i would like to do this
Reality Is An Illusion Caused By Lack Of Alcohol

prissi

These are just ASCII files in text/en/ (or english)

vilvoh

As difficult as take one existant, modify it, save it with another name and add a link from the ingame help homepage. The text inside help files is pseudo-html. You can found them at simutrans/text/language_you_have_selected. The file where you must add the link to the tunnel one is general.txt, which is the ingame-help index.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Kgm13

ill have a go when i get home :)
at work at the moment,
Reality Is An Illusion Caused By Lack Of Alcohol

Colin

Quote from: jarauh on August 25, 2008, 08:16:29 PM
Building tunnels leads to error messages that are not very conclusive. As many issues need to be considered when building tunnels it would be nice to have a special "tunnel help" page and a link on every error messages. For example building a tunnel entry always builds one square into the tunnel. If there already is a track at this place at this tile, there is an error message.

(pak64 at 100.0)

Can't say I've come across this one. I build tunnels everywhere including great lengthy ones under a thousand K's of sea, or land, never have a problem.
One thing that does need more explanations though, especially for new members is, "How to build underground lines using the Tunnel Tool". As in, when you have built an underground rail line, you want to add lines underground, but not appearing to exit the underground. Like building underground stations.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Ormac

He might be having difficulty understanding the meaning of errors such
as "tunnel must start on single way" or "no Suitable Ground" though it would help everyone if these were clarified or made easier to understand at some time in the future.

Ormac 8)

Simutrans Reference Material Blog SRM very wet ink
Download Simutrans Reference Material from http://docs.simutrans.com

prissi

These are actually internal game text. Making better error messages in translator is possible. But they are aparent "English enoguh" for no one to bother :(