News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Pak Sweden Servergame with Experimental Devel-new

Started by Ves, August 30, 2016, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

Pak128.Sweden-Ex online servergame

As you might have noticed, there is a servergame featuring the Devel-new branch of Simutrans Experimental using the Brittish pakset. This server has now been extended to even host a small map featuring Pak128.Sweden-Ex, also using the Devel-new branch. To cope with the new features, there is a new branch for pak Sweden on the github called "Half-height".

The purpose of the servergame is initially to test the signalling as to find out what works and what doesnt in the relation between the implemented working methods and the swedish signalling practice. At the moment, there are some bugs in the signalling on the Devel-new branch, but they will be sorted out eventually.

Additionally, the servergame may be subject for any discussion that might help Pak128.Sweden-Ex to go further!

The game is running in sand box mode, as to allow everything to be built and tested.

To find out which version the game is currently running, read the README.txt at http://server.exp.simutrans.com/.
Also, you will find the required pakset and executable at there.

Server adress: server.exp.simutrans.com:13355

So get hold of the required files and log on to that server! :)

Also, big thanks to Vladki for maintaining the server!

Milko

James, Ves, Vladki.

What do you think about create a new forum section in Simutrans experimental\simutrans experimental pakset for Pak sweden-ex?

Giuseppe

Ves

If you guys are ok with it, that would be most appreciated!
Maybe the threads about the pakset from this forum (basically all threads except the "Finns det några fler...." And "Svensk översättning....") could then be moved along to help populate the new forum?

Vladki

jamespetts

Quote from: Milko on August 31, 2016, 08:20:10 AM
James, Ves, Vladki.

What do you think about create a new forum section in Simutrans experimental\simutrans experimental pakset for Pak sweden-ex?

Giuseppe

This is a very good idea indeed - this pakset is an interesting and worthwhile new development and deserves its own forum.

Incidentally, the download link appears to be broken.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Quote from: jamespetts on August 31, 2016, 10:53:03 PM
This is a very good idea indeed - this pakset is an interesting and worthwhile new development and deserves its own forum.

Incidentally, the download link appears to be broken.
The entire server.exp.simutrans.com seem to be down. It seems highly likely that it's related to the current forum-issue.

Vladki

Server was up all the time. Problem was with DNS settings. Server and pak set updated, restarted.

Ves

jamespetts

We do not seem to have a Pak128.Sweden-Ex subforum yet, so forgive me for making a general observation about this rather splendid nascent pakset here instead for the time being, it not being clear where else that it might go: the Simutrans way of doing town names is a little odd and does not work very well with country specific paksets. Because I am using the English language, I get towns named from a list of real British towns, giving me a very Nordic Sheffield and Manchester in amongst fir trees and fjords.

In Pak128.Britain-Ex, I get around this by removing the list of names, and instead using, in the English translation texts, a whole series of very British name components, from which the town name generator will then splice together names from two parts to create an array of potentially many tens of thousands of realistic sounding fictional town names.

At present, the name generator is very simple (pair a random first half of the name with a random second half of the name, and do not repeat any names), but even this allows splendid variety. One day, it would be good to make it more elaborate, although this is a very low priority. It would be splendid if the same could be done with the Swedish pakset, giving realistically Swedish names (and perhaps, in the English translation text, Swedish names with the spellings as would be written in English, if different) so that the towns appear correctly named for the landscape. It would be much more evocative of Sweden to see towns with fictionalised names such as "Flenburg", "Kungenholm" or "Osthalla" (as might be created by inputting fragments of real Swedish town names into a simple two part name generator as used by Simutrans).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

im using a list that features all swedish settlements with more than 1000 inhabitants I think. I could make that mandatory for all languages by default? The english translation of names only applies to a very few handfull of names, so I wonder if it would be worth it. There already is some swedish sounded syllables in Simutrans, but I got a bit immersion breaked that it was not the real names. However, would you recommend me to use those instead of the city list?

For now, I will copy the list I got to all languages, then one can remove it to something else if it is their wish.

jamespetts

Whetether to use fictional rather than real names is a matter of taste, I suppose: I prefer realistic fictional names because this is a fictional world, but, either way, Swedish sounding names would work better than UK names.

Ves

Vladki, could your restart the server with the latest build and latest pakset? Note that you need the latest makeobj to compile the pakset (due to alpha images).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

(This thread has been moved to the new board for the pak. Just a heads up. Apologies to everyone who sees this message multiple times)

Vladki

It seems that you have renamed the signals. My copy of the server game loads token block signals instead of track circuit. Do you have some compat.tab?

Ves

Sorry about that, there is a compat.tab located in \text\
It will get in the build when using the windows batch-file, but I dont know if you need to modify any linux-files?

Vladki

I just had to rename it to lower-case.

Anyway I have noticed that the 3-state track circuit block signals have swapped aspects. IIRC it should be caution=2x green and clear = green+white, but it is the other way round. And did I notice correctly that you put smaller light where it should be blinking ?

Server game updated and restarted. Transparent signal lights look nice on snow. ;)

Ves

That is extremely odd, I cannot immediatedly find any faults in the datfile, and I havent changed that part either lately. Which signal in particular is having the issue?

Yes, I made the dessicion that a blinking light is smaller than a solid light, however that doesnt apply to the alpha-flares. This is to differentiate the states as they otherwise would be similar to other states. One time in the future, when animations is brought to signals, the "-blink.png" files will become obsolete as all the graphics should be in place in the original png's to create blinking effect and all lights will be lit up accordingly.

Thanks to renaming it to Lower-case!
Is it a general thing that Linux needs lower-case?

Vladki

Quote from: Ves on September 16, 2016, 10:45:42 PM
Thanks to renaming it to Lower-case!
Is it a general thing that Linux needs lower-case?

Linux (or Unix in general) is just case sensitive. So whatever you put in .dat file must match the real file.
In case of compat.tab - it is probably somewhere in the source code.
In general - most files on linux are in lower case, just to make it easier to type them...

That is extremely odd, I cannot immediatedly find any faults in the datfile, and I havent changed that part either lately. Which signal in particular is having the issue?

check the line to Dingtuna North on the server.

Ves

Quotecheck the line to Dingtuna North on the server.
I think this is a bug in the game!
edit: Bug report established!

I will try to remember being consistent with lower-case from now on.

Ves

Vladki

This is the debug output from failed server:

ERROR: rail_vehicle_t::activate_choose_signal():        could not reserved route after find_route!
For help with this error or to file a bug report please see the Simutrans forum:
http://forum.simutrans.com
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:       write packet_id=9, client_id=0
... repeated cca 20 times ....
Message: network_command_t::rdwr:       write packet_id=9, client_id=0
FATAL ERROR: vector_tpl<T>::[] - 7koord3d: index out of bounds: 77 not in 0..75
Aborting program execution ...

For help with this error or to file a bug report please see the Simutrans forum at
FATAL ERROR: vector_tpl<T>::[] - 7koord3d: index out of bounds: 77 not in 0..75
Aborting program execution ...

For help with this error or to file a bug report please see the Simutrans forum at
Aborted (core dumped)

Restarted with freshly compiled server binary (pakset was not changed)

jamespetts

If you can upload a saved game in which this error can be reproduced, that would be very helpful.

Vladki

Unfortunately I do not have the save any more - I restarted the server and connected so it got rewritten. But since then it runs fine.

Vladki

I cannot restart the servergame - it segfaults. I tried to start it with older savegame, but it segfaulted too.

Reading menu configuration ...
Warning: tabfile_t::read:       No data in "# menuconf.tab"
loading savegame "Swedish_servergame_1"
Midi disabled ...
Calculating textures ...done
Warning: karte_t::load: disconnecting all clients
Warning: nwc_routesearch_t::reset:      all static variables are reset
Floating point exception (core dumped)

I'll try updating to latest commits, tomorroe or tuesday. It's too late now.

jamespetts

Can you check that you have upgraded to the latest code? I had this problem earlier to-day, but have fixed it since.

Ves

Oh, Im sorry, I just assumed that you used the lates (at the time) commit and had forgotten to update the readme, so I used that to connect. That might indeed have compromized the savegame! I will pay further attention to that in the future!

Vladki

Ves

Vladki, would it be possible if you could start a new swedish servergame from scratch? It feels like the current savegame is full of corruptions etc, and it makes the game crash on exit. The same size as the old one is fine!

And a happy new year! :)

Vladki

Quote from: Ves on January 01, 2017, 03:48:52 PM
Vladki, would it be possible if you could start a new swedish servergame from scratch? It feels like the current savegame is full of corruptions etc, and it makes the game crash on exit. The same size as the old one is fine!

I have the same crash with pak britain. It does not crash if the game is played locally (off-line). But I may try to start another clean game to see if it crashes too.

Same to you.

Vladki

Quote from: Ves on January 01, 2017, 03:48:52 PM

I have tried a clean save game - the one with which we started the swedish server, and it crashes in the same way as described in http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15940.0

Ves

Ves

When I connect to the servergame, it appears to be the same one as usual, or did I do something wrong? I expected a clean map! :)

Vladki

clean map is on port 13354. Do you want to start from scratch?

Ves

Yes, that was the intention!

edit:
However, its fine also as you made it now (clean game on 13354)! :)