News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

How to set up a Simutrans-Extended server

Started by jamespetts, February 26, 2011, 02:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

To play Simutrans-Extended over the internet, it is necessary for there to be a server running Simutrans-Extended in server mode. To run a server, run Simutrans-Extended with the "-server" switch at the command line (in Windows, set up a shortcut with "-server" appended to the end of the "target"). The clients can then connect to the server using the server's IP address or DNS name (if any). The default port of 13353 will be assumed unless otherwise specified.

Although it is possible to use the normal Simutrans-Experimental binary (Simutrans-Extended .exe in Windows) for this, if running the server on a remote system as a "pure server" (in other words, one which will only be used as a server, and not played locally), and it is recommended that all servers for public games be set up this way, then you should use the special command-line only version of Simutrans-Extended . This version has no graphics, so it will run faster on the server. The graphics on the clients will be unaffected.

It is important to note that this version will not work unless a pakset is pre-selected in simuconf.tab, as the graphical menu for choosing a pakset does not work in this version without graphics. To use this version of the server, you will need to add the following line to the base version of simuconf.tab (i.e., the one in your /simutrans/config directory, note the one in a pakset subdirectory):

pak_file_path = pak128.Britain-Ex/

The above line can be modified as required if a different pakset is chosen, for example:

pak_file_path = pak.64-exp/

The Windows distribution comes with a shortcut with the recommended command line settings to start the game, being: -log 1 -debug 5 -server 13353 -lang en -load network1. The "-load network1" switch causes a saved game of the name "network1.sve" in the default saved game directory to be loaded. This again can be changed as desired.

The Windows distribution also comes with "Nettool-Extended", which is a command line toolkit for administering Simutrans-Extended servers remotely. It is possible to compile this for other platforms, such as Linux, although no pre-compiled binaries are available for other platforms at present. Nettool-Extended works in the same way as Nettool for Standard.

To set up a network server, it is necessary first to create a saved game in single player mode, then upload it to the server, then run the Simutrans-Experimental server with the command line switch to load the appropriate saved game. You should also change the server_comment = Testserver-Ex line in simuconf.tab to identify your server uniquely.

There is a web page specially set up for Simutrans-Extended servers in particular at http://server.exp.simutrans.com:8080. This has been kindly set up by Timothy for use by all operators of Simutrans-Extended servers, and all public servers should be announced on this website. This will enable players to find the server automatically from a list when loading the game.

Note that it is not possible to connect a Simutrans-Standard client to a Simutrans-Extended server or vice versa.

For more information on setting up a Simutrans server, see: here (although note that those instructions are for Standard not Extended, albeit there is little difference between the two in terms of how to set up a server; the differences are explained above).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Note: Nettool-Experimental is now available. It is packaged with the Windows binaries. Nettool is a command line Simutrans server administration tool designed for the remote administration of Simutrans command line servers. Nettool-Experimental works with Simutrans-Experimental servers. Documentation on the use of Nettool-Experimental is available at the command line on executing the program without any command line parameters.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

I have produced a default configuration file for compiling a no graphics server in Linux, a copy of which is attached.

vzrenggamani

Ehh... i have configure The simuconf.tab to automatically load pak128.britain ex then i launch the simuexperimen server command line and the game show error message " cannot load cityrules.tab "
anything help ?

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

jamespetts

Do you have that file in your pakset config directory?

vzrenggamani

Quote from: jamespetts on January 22, 2016, 08:49:30 AM
Do you have that file in your pakset config directory?

Yes I do . i downloaded the simu experimental complete version

jamespetts

Can you copy and past your entire set of command line parameters?

vzrenggamani

I am using simuexperimental command line server executeable .. no parameter i have configure

jamespetts

Ahh, that is probably the problem, in that case. You need something like this for a command line server:

...Simutrans-Experimental-command-line-server.exe -log 1 -debug 5 -server 13353 -lang en -objects Pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.1 -load [savedgame]

(where [savedgame] is the name of the saved game that you have set up for the server).

vzrenggamani

Thanks... its work :)
Prefer using CL than a executeable file ^_^

jamespetts

Excellent - glad that it works. Happy playing!

Junna

Nettool download for windows gives dll errors, requiring libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll, and even when those are supplied, crashes with (unable to start application correctly 0x000007b).

jamespetts

Are you sure that you have the correct versions of those files?

Junna

I don't, but I don't know how I would get them -- I tried those I found on my computer, and then tried to download some, but it crashed with all of them. And since no versions are included with the download or on the nightly server, I don't know how one would get the right versions.

jamespetts

Junna

That's pthread, not the ones that nettool claims to be missing, which are, as I said, "libstdc++-6.dll", "libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll", which I added to the folder after searching for them elsewhere on the computer.

jamespetts

Ahh - I think that the issue may be that the Windows nettool has to be compiled on Visual Studio because I cannot get cross-compiling to work for some reason, so you will need the Visual Studio 2015 redistributable package, which can be downloaded from Microsoft's website.

Junna

What sort of dependencies are required to compile nettool?

jamespetts

I cannot recall from memory - it is likely to vary depending on the he environment.

Phystam

How can I build no-window server using makefile?

prissi

Unless extended has a totally different system:

./configure
make

will do the job.