News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Where are the translation files in Ubuntu?

Started by margaret, June 05, 2019, 02:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margaret

Dear all,

I have installed Simutrans from the Ubuntu 18.04 deposit with the package manager Synaptic.

I would like to carry out some changes in the Catalan translation and test them in the game but I haven't been able to find where the ca.tab file is located in my computer, although the language is available in the game.

Does anyone know where should I look for the translation files?

Thanks!

Margaret

makie

i don know where in  Ubuntu 18.04 deposit

but normally for the program:  /usr/share/simutrans/text/ca.tab
and for the pak: /usr/share/simutrans/pak/text/ca.tab
and for the pak128: /usr/share/simutrans/pak128/text/ca.tab

you can use https://translator.simutrans.com for translation

margaret

With your tip I could finally find it. :)

It's in /usr/share/games/simutrans/text/ca.tab and /usr/share/games/simutrans/pak/text/ca.tab

I didn't find any pak128 folder but I don't think I need to.

Thanks!  :)

makie

Then you do not play or have installed pak128.

If you use  https://translator.simutrans.com for translation, you can help the Simutrans community.

margaret

Yes, it seems I need to ask here for a user. :)

I essentially wanted to change the town names, because it was a bit annoying that they were called "This doesn't exist! This doesn't exist" (in Catalan). :P

I tried playing in English but then they were all called the same ("simcity") which was worse because it was quite confusing.

In my opinion, you should consider leaving the original town names in German in unfinished translations, it would make it more playable in those cases. At the end, the translation of the city names is not that important as long as game controls are.

Leartin

citynames are not really translated, but picked from a list of available names. In the same folder you found ca.tab, there should be files called citylist_##.tab, where ## is the language. There probably is no list for catalan there. Changing the language after a city was founded does not change it's name, so switching to english only changed the displayed indicator that there is no name. For your current map, I'm afraid you'd have to name them manually.

I attached a list of catalan districts blatantly stolen from wikipedia. Can't test right now (at work), but if you add that and start a new map/found a new city, you should get catalan names.

margaret

Nope.

At the end of the file
/usr/share/games/simutrans/text/ca.tab there's a section with variables called "%?_CITY_SYLL" and the game is using whatever is in there to create compound city names, some variables take part in the front of the name and some variables in the end of the name.

Several of these variables had the text "This doesn't exist" (in Catalan). I changed them to sensible things and now the generated names make sense.

I'm sorry but it doesn't seem the software is using anything else for the city names. They are all combinations of what is in there. In any case, it's enough for me.

I don't have any saved map. I started playing, saw this, and stopped playing... But there's no way I'd do this by hand if I had. xD

Anyway, it's working now. If you want me to change it for the Catalan community, someone will have to give me a user in the translating tool.

Cheers!

margaret

In any case, I didn't see any "citylist*.*" file in the text folder where the ca.tab file is located. Although other languages have a subfolder and inside I do see a citylist file.

As I say, it's working now for me. I'll consider creating a list of Catalan towns sometime in the future but that's not urgent anymore.

I suggest you check other languages without citylist files because they may have the same behaviour and, as I said, it makes the game quite unusable, which is a pity.

Leartin

Quote from: margaret on June 05, 2019, 10:55:25 AM
I'm sorry but it doesn't seem the software is using anything else for the city names. They are all combinations of what is in there. In any case, it's enough for me.
[...]
In any case, I didn't see any "citylist*.*" file in the text folder where the ca.tab file is located. Although other languages have a subfolder and inside I do see a citylist file.

Simutrans can create city names two ways. If there is a citylist_##.txt file for the chosen language, city names are read from this file. Otherwise, random city names are created from the syllables given in xx.tab.
Both translations and citylists can come either from the game itself, or from the pakset in use. Translations and citylists of a pakset have priority over translations and citylists of the game. Since I mostly play in German or English, to no surprise there were always citylists available in the paksets, and I was unaware the syllable-method was part of the game translation since I never used it.

Chances are you are in the text-folder of the game, not the pakset. There are no citylists (though it is the place to put them to make them available for all paksets), and the citylist-file you saw in the subfolders is probably citylist_filter.txt, which is not a citylist, but the translation file for the help page concerning the ingame-dialog showing a list of all cities on the map. Sorry for the confusion.