News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

How do we turn the streetlist on and off?

Started by Matthew, August 03, 2019, 05:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Some paksets come with streetlist files to provide stop names. I think turned them off several years ago. Could anyone please tell me how to (re)enable the streetlist function?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

I am not aware of any setting as such to turn them on and off: usually one disables them by deleting streetlist_[LANG].txt (e.g., for English, streetlist_en.txt). If you had done this, you would need to find the correct version of streetlist_en.txt for your pakset, and put it back in the pakset's ~/text folder.
Edit: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated the file names as *.tab rather than *.txt
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on August 04, 2019, 10:17:52 AM
I am not aware of any setting as such to turn them on and off: usually one disables them by deleting streetlist_[LANG].txt (e.g., for English, streetlist_en.txt). If you had done this, you would need to find the correct version of streetlist_en.txt for your pakset, and put it back in the pakset's ~/text folder.
Edit: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated the file names as *.tab rather than *.txt

James, thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I have done a clean install, including streetlist_en.txt and I still don't see the street names. I will carry on tinkering and hopefully I will work out what mistake I've made.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Quote from: Matthew on August 20, 2019, 04:15:14 AM
James, thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I have done a clean install, including streetlist_en.txt and I still don't see the street names. I will carry on tinkering and hopefully I will work out what mistake I've made.

One thing that you may want to check is how many stops that you are placing in a town. The code has been updated fairly recently to use the names in streetlist_en.txt only when a certain pool of more generic names has run out. This is to ensure that the first few stops built in a town (which will be the only stops if the town is small or has a limited transport service) have realistically generic names, such as "Anytown Railway Station", "Anytown Victoria Railway Station", "Anytown North Stop", "Anytown High Street Stop" and so forth. Only larger towns with multiple stops exhausting the generic list will invoke the non-generic names in streetlist_en.txt. If it were not done this way, the first names in a town would be names such as "Anytown Pied Pigeon Street Railway Station", which would make no sense for the very first railway station (or similar) in a town. Is this perhaps the effect that you are seeing?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.