News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Railway catenary cannot be replaced using ctrl-drag

Started by Vladki, December 25, 2019, 10:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just wishlist item. (Also I dont know if it works in standard).
This would be useful especially when upgrading from 3rd rail to 3rd rail + overhead catenary.

jamespetts

Can anyone confirm whether this is different to the position in Standard?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

iirc this is the same in standard but in standard it is not as important as one rarely downgrades catenaries and upgrading does not require ctrl at all.
In extended there are some "downgrade" situations, that are actually upgrades e.g. upgrading from AC catenary or AC third rail to AC catenary+third rail.
Extended should take care of catenary constraints in the first place and speed in the second place when upgrading, that means electrification providing two types of electrification is consired "better" than electrification providing only one of these, no matter the speed.

CK

Quote from: Freahk on December 26, 2019, 08:59:45 PM
iirc this is the same in standard but in standard it is not as important as one rarely downgrades catenaries and upgrading does not require ctrl at all.
In extended there are some "downgrade" situations, that are actually upgrades e.g. upgrading from AC catenary or AC third rail to AC catenary+third rail.
Extended should take care of catenary constraints in the first place and speed in the second place when upgrading, that means electrification providing two types of electrification is consired "better" than electrification providing only one of these, no matter the speed.
Not to mention fourth rail removal, which did occur on the North London Line and the Watford DC Line (except for sections shared with London Underground) and which would result in lower maintenance costs.

jamespetts

I can see that it would be worthwhile to allow CTRL+drag for catenary - it can be added to the very long list, but quite when I will be able to get to it I cannot say.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

*dig*
I ust just launched standard for another reason. I can now confirm the above mentioned "greater max speed wins" rule applies for upgrades.
However, force-replacement using ctrl works there either, so I have now sorthed this one in as a bug rather than a feature request.

I am aware James just implemented forced upgrade without using ctrl at all.
Imho generally breaking the "better object wins" upgrade logics is not a good idea as it is inconsistent to any other upgrade behavior, e.g. stops, stations and wayobjects in standard.

I am also aware that the current way to determine the "better" wayobject in extended is not quite straight forward as constraints are involved, however this is another topic that already has a thread on its own.

Can anybody confirm ctrl+upgrade was already implemented to standard before extended started diverging?
In that case it would be a bug in extended, otherwise we should try to locate that change in standard and merge it into extended.