News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

The United Kingdom of Germany and Northern Ireland

Started by Mariculous, April 21, 2020, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Just a little off topic fun.

It's not April's fool day, so did I miss something?
See the attachment. Reads like "it seems like you are located in the The United Kingdom of Germany and Northern Ireland"
Guess they missed a comma.

Vladki

Well, the English royal family has German roots.

Ters

England, Wales, Scotland, Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia, and Northern Ireland?

Quote from: Vladki on April 21, 2020, 05:06:25 PM
Well, the English royal family has German roots.
Just as long as Queen Elizabeth lives. Soon England will be on Danish hands again! With interests.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, we're almost getting to my heritage, which is Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English, a little German, a little less French, and a few other minuscule possibilities. :)

So I must declare myself Benevolent Dictator!

Vladki

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on April 22, 2020, 09:01:57 AMWell, we're almost getting to my heritage, which is Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English, a little German, a little less French, and a few other minuscule possibilities. :)
English kings claimed French throne for quite a long time (maybe still do). See the fleur de lis on many royal insignia...

Ters

Quote from: Vladki on April 22, 2020, 10:25:15 AM
English kings claimed French throne for quite a long time (maybe still do). See the fleur de lis on many royal insignia...
I think they dropped the claim when they helped restore their former enemies to the French throne after the French Revolution. So they kept it up for around 500 years. However, there is a rival claim to the English throne that apparently still claims the French as well.

The Danish kings claimed kingship over the Goths and the Wends slightly longer. I guess few people knew who the Wends were by the end. The Swedish monarchs had similar titles in the same period, but they actually did rule over some Goths. (The Swedish king is still king of the Goths. They just stopped making a distinction between Swedes and Goths, apparently.)

DrSuperGood

I am guessing the message is trying to say that the system was unsure where you are located and wanted you to confirm which region/language to use. It listed all countries/regions it thought you might have been located in.

By the looks of it the dialog was not proof-read properly and so was misleading. At the very least there should have been some commas I think (not too sure about German grammar).

Ters

For my interpretation, there should by a comma. I put them in when replacing Germany with the previously British occupied states.

For the the interpretation in the topic's title, I think there might be missing at least an s.

My guess at how the message came to be, is that a similar message had been developed for users from the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. When something similar was made for Germany, the message was first translated as it was. But when they were supposed to replace the name of the country, they failed to erase the old one somehow. How they failed to notice, is a mystery.

Mariculous

Yes, there is a comma missing.

Quote from: Ters on April 23, 2020, 05:40:51 AMMy guess at how the message came to be, is that a similar message had been developed for users from the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.
I think so, but that takes the fun out of it ;)

Ters

A missing comma can sure lead to lots of funny interpretations. And it's the way I read most news. The titles have usually been treated rather badly in order to fit. I pick the most ludicrous interpretation, and just assume that was what happened. For some reason, I haven't seen that being used actively for click-baiting reasons. It is too hard to make them up deliberately, I guess. I can't even make up any examples myself.