News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[patch] the territory filter on the attraction list

Started by Ranran(retired), May 12, 2020, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Hello, attraction everywhere have been closed now... Don't be crazy(´・ω・`)
Yes, we have simutrans!

Anyway, If the factory list, city list had a territory filter, the attraction list should have it as well. I know you request that.
Let's do this. Sprinkle hot water and wait for 3 minutes ... done! Please taste it.

Did you think that simply ending with a territory filter? - No way.
Naturally, Japanese products have many extra functions. So it's Jalápagos.

Bonus 1, I also added a display and sort of the passenger transportation results.
Bonus 2, I changed to a more intuitive display by using symbols instead of color bars.
A symbol indicates whether or not it is connected to the network. The passenger symbol indicates that the attraction building is connected to the passenger network.
If it's all a network of other players, it's translucent.
Whether it is crowded or not is indicated by making the number of the added passenger transportation actual number purple.

So far, we've used a single bar to represent both passengers and mail congestion.
It was so colorful and not intuitive that it was hard to understand, IMAO.
Do we need mail congestion display for attraction list? I removed it. (´・ω・`)
There is no indication of mail demand or number of mail deliveries there.
As it suggests, I don't think mail information is important for attraction building.
In fact, the Britain pak has a lower mail demand for attractions buildings.

Added translation terms
sort_pas_arrived
Show only cities within the active player's transportation network

I also edited the Japanese help text. But I can only break the English help text, so it would be helpful if someone corrected it.
Multilingual youtuber says the google translate from German to English is over 90% reliable but less than 40% translates Japanese to English.
I think it's true. She is so stupid that she never asks back for missing information...

Here is the repository for this patch:
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/territory-filter-on-attraction-list

This patch requires the Territory list on citylist patch as it uses common functions.

I hope this improvement will make your game a little more comfortable.
I would be happy to hear you guys opinions. Thank you.

See you next patch! (´・ω・`)らんらん♪

EDIT:
Note that the "territory" here refers to the passenger transportation network.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Mariculous

Quote from: Ranran on May 12, 2020, 12:24:08 AMBonus 2, I changed to a more intuitive display by using symbols instead of color bars.
Thank you so much for this!
Usability is what simutrans, especially extended lacks most. Any patch in a more intuitive direction is a really good patch.

Quote from: Ranran on May 12, 2020, 12:24:08 AMWhether it is crowded or not is indicated by making the number of the added passenger transportation actual number purple.
Ah, I was just about to ask why some transportation numbers are colored, whilst others aren't. That's not intuitive.
However, it's much better than before in any case, as it's easy to remember the meaning of this.

My thoughts on further improving this:
Using the "turned away" icon to indicate overcrowding might be better.
I am not even sure if actually showing the current overcrowding status of a stop is what we are really interessted in. Overcrowding usually appears for only a short time. If we didn't look at the list at that time, we won't know there was overcrowding.

Showing "turned away", if at least one passenger turned away in the current month, would give us a IMO much better overview of attractions whose servive needs some adjustments, either increasing stops capacity of serving it more frequently.
We could also show the "gave up waiting" icon if at least one passenger gave up waiting. However, I have never seen this on any stop yet, so passengers must be waiting pretty long to trigger that action.
I'd not consider showing "too slow" or "no route" icons, as the cause for these most often is not the service of the attraction itself, but the overall service of the whole transport chain.

Quote from: Ranran on May 12, 2020, 12:24:08 AMDo we need mail congestion display for attraction list?
I am not quite sure, but if we need it, we could go for an icon of multiple stacked up envelopes.
Stop stats need a "turned away" mail stat and icon as well as "gave up waiting" as both are possible for mail.
The only thing that cannot happen to mail is "Too slow"

Quote from: Ranran on May 12, 2020, 12:24:08 AMI hope this improvement will make your game a little more comfortable.
It definitely will! I really enjoy these little usability patches!

Ranran(retired)

Thank you for your feedback.

QuoteI am not even sure if actually showing the current overcrowding status of a stop is what we are really interessted in. Overcrowding usually appears for only a short time. If we didn't look at the list at that time, we won't know there was overcrowding.
This is a lack of explanation of the game specifications. The specification currently is as you say, and I have not changed the judgment part.
if (halt->get_pax_unhappy() > 40) {

The variable name is confusing, but it's the number of "turned away" this month. That is the answer of this display.
I think there is room for improvement in this.

QuoteUsing the "turned away" icon to indicate overcrowding might be better.
I also think that using the symbol is the better to understand because the purple is also a little difficult to recognize and it indicates the occurrence of "turned away" as described above.

QuoteWe could also show the "gave up waiting" icon if at least one passenger gave up waiting. However, I have never seen this on any stop yet, so passengers must be waiting pretty long to trigger that action.
I'd not consider showing "too slow" or "no route" icons, as the cause for these most often is not the service of the attraction itself, but the overall service of the whole transport chain.
One of the challenges of the anomalous status symbol is that the display can be annoying if the anomaly belongs to another player. There may be multiple connected stations.
Regarding the turned away indicator, I will add a check to see if it is another player's station that is causing the congestion.

Ranran(retired)

Now the territory judgment on the factory list is smarter. ;)

Previously it displayed all the factories connected to own freight stations and public freight stations.
This improvement will display the factory connected to the station under the following conditions:
1) Active player's freight station
2) Freight station where the player's freight line or convoy is operating
For example, previously all fishing grounds were displayed, but from now on only the fishing grounds you are fishing are displayed.

It uses common functions, so please incorporate it at the same time as the attraction list improvement or afterwards.
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/territory-filter-on-fablist-rev

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you very much for this. This does greatly improve usability of these lists.

The improvement is sufficient that any further minor changes can be made after incorporation; I have therefore incorporated the combined territory filter branch to master.

Thank you again for your work on this: this is splendid.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Since I was splitting into multiple branches, it seems that the changes for two dialogs have been leaked from the incorporating. I pull requested it.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on May 16, 2020, 11:35:16 PM
Since I was splitting into multiple branches, it seems that the changes for two dialogs have been leaked from the incorporating. I pull requested it.

Thank you for that - now incorporated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.