News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Insolvency and takeovers in multi-player games

Started by jamespetts, January 05, 2020, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have now implemented this feature on the insolvency branch (not the sophisticated asset purchasing GUI, just the basic feature as originally described).

Would anyone like to test this with a self-compiled build before I integrate it into the master branch?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

I have now merged this feature, which will be available in the next nightly build. Translation texts are now on Simutranslator for localisation.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

I had not been able to test this yesterday, but I just did now.
There is an issue with the public player going on. Correctly, public player cannot be taken over but public player can take over other companies, including their vehicles.
It might be considerable to allow public player taking over player infrastructure but not to take over vehicles.

Another one just arrived in your mailbox, for reasons...

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on May 31, 2020, 03:45:44 PM
I had not been able to test this yesterday, but I just did now.
There is an issue with the public player going on. Correctly, public player cannot be taken over but public player can take over other companies, including their vehicles.
It might be considerable to allow public player taking over player infrastructure but not to take over vehicles.

Another one just arrived in your mailbox, for reasons...

The public player's status has changed in that the public player is able to be played just as with any other player, allowing the building of vehicles and depots: there was no reason to maintain the old distinction prohibiting this. It is intentional that the public player can take over other companies fully in this way. This allows the simulation of transport nationalisation that occurred at various times in history.

If anybody designs an asset selecting GUI as discussed earlier in this thread, we should be able to simulate the privatisation process, too.

The other matter has now been dealt with.

Mariculous

Another issue appears with private gates.
These are not adjusted in a way allowing the new owner of the company to pass these if he was not allowed to do so before.
In case of third party players gates this might be arguable but it's fine.
In case of private gates of the company that was taken over, these should be adjusted.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on May 31, 2020, 05:53:03 PM
Another issue appears with private gates.
These are not adjusted in a way allowing the new owner of the company to pass these if he was not allowed to do so before.
In case of third party players gates this might be arguable but it's fine.
In case of private gates of the company that was taken over, these should be adjusted.

Can I clarify - suppose company A takes over company B. Before the take-over, company C had allowed access to company B, but not A. I had designed the system so that, after take-over, company C automatically gives access to company A. Is it this that is not working, or do you mean to describe some other configuration?

Mariculous

Edit: To clarify, I guess we are talking about entirely different things.
You seem to refer to general acces permissions, I was refering to private gates/private road signs.

No.
C is mentioned third party. It is arguable to also grant Player A permissions on Cs gates, as players might abuse takeovers to gain permissions to a company they want to corrupt, but on the other hand, such permissions might be essential for some routes to work properly.

In any case, on takeover former signs of player B that allowed player B to pass, should allow player A to pass after the takeover.
This does not involve any corruption potential but will weaken the pitfall of strange routings when taking over a company.

I had taken over a company which resulted in a lot of "no route" messages.
I quickly noticed that this was due to private road signs of B that are now owned by A, but had not been adjusted to allow company A to pass.

jamespetts

Thank you for the clarification - I think that I have now fixed this. I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.