News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Cross-compiling for Windows on Linux

Started by Matthew, August 06, 2020, 04:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Using the guides kindly provided by other Simutransers, I can now build on Linux. But I can only connect to Bridgewater-Brunel using Windows, so I would like to learn how to cross-compile. This might, in the long run, help me to understand why my VM lags so badly. I prefer cross-compilation to compiling on VS because I know that my Linux builds work and if I can test my setup by trying to replicate the B-B builds.

According to an earlier thread builds for Bridgewater-Brunel must be built using GCC, even for Windows. My understanding is that B-B does this on Linux.

Presumably it is not just as simple as changing OSTYPE to mingw64 in the config.default file? That's seems too good to be true.  :P Based on the guide to compiling Standard on GCC on Windows, it seems that I'll need to install the mingw64 packages. Anything else? I use SDL2 on Linux; is that the best choice for Windows too?

Please point me to an existing thread if one exists, but I could not find one covering this particular combination of platforms.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

There is a thread on this somewhere, although I cannot remember where. It should be from circa early 2017 if my memory serves me correctly, although it may be a short while before or after that if it does not.

This cross-compiling is set up on the Bridgewater-Brunel server (this is how the nightly Windows builds are produced); but I recall that it took many months of intensive work to get this set up.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Github actions builds standard simutrans on github as release automatically. I am pretty sure that script can be used for experimental as well. (And so does pak192.comic as well, including building its makeobj before.)