News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Floating Buldings

Started by RealAmerican1776, August 12, 2020, 11:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Hello, I was just going though the form and stumbled upon an old topic about over the water buildings and was just wondering if there has been any progress. I think it would be neat to see especially for lighthouse and lightships.

Here is the old Bishop and Clerks Lighthouse in Massachusetts located about two miles off the coast and in a very dangerous stretch of water.

And here is an older picture of the lightship Nantucket which was sunk by RMS Olympic sister ship to the Titanic.

Now wouldn't it be nice to have these in a pakset?

jamespetts

I am not familiar with the old topic. This is not something that I am aware of being in development; may I ask who was developing this? It may have been abandoned by whoever it was some time ago.

As to the substance of this, a lighthouse is not really floating, as it stands upon rock. Lighthouses do exist in some paksets (pak128, I believe); they are set to spawn only on the coast.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

RealAmerican1776

Oh I don't remember, The topic dated back to 2008. So the people who were developing it probably are not doing it anymore.

RealAmerican1776

Quote from: jamespetts on August 14, 2020, 05:54:19 PMa lighthouse is not really floating, as it stands upon rock.
That's not always the case. What about this one:

In Mobile Bay Alabama. That's not standing on rock sticking out of the water. What a lonely life that must have been huh?

jamespetts

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on August 14, 2020, 06:16:03 PM
That's not always the case. What about this one:

In Mobile Bay Alabama. That's not standing on rock sticking out of the bay.

That does not look as though it is floating, but rather anchored to some rock underneath the surface of the sea.

In any event, this feature is not a priority at present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

RealAmerican1776

No I know, I was just curious. It would be a neat feature though.

freddyhayward

Floating industries, at least, already exist in Pak128.Britain-Ex, such as the oil rig and fishery.