News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Problem with multi-tile city building generation

Started by nrg, September 21, 2020, 08:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrg

I've created a couple of multi-tile buildings and noticed that all of the buildings created through city growth (including the grow city tool) are only facing south or east.  It doesn't seem to matter what size the building is or where the nearest road is.  The buildings (3x1, 2x3, 3x3, and 4x3) have four directions defined and can be placed manually with no problem, including with the direction set to "auto".

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. It was not me who wrote the multi-tile city building code, so I do not know how this works. Given the amount of time that I have available at present and the long list of pressing Simutrans priorities, and the relatively minor nature of this issue, I am afraid that I will not be able to dedicate time to looking into this in the foreseeable future.

However, if anyone else would like to look into this, that would be very much appreciated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

I think extended's multi-tile city building code was different from standard. I don't know how it's different but I haven't seen any major conflicts in this with the ongoing integration work from standards. But I skip commits that are completely separate from the GUI and BUG (and compilability) as much as possible. I hope someone can check it.
If possible, maintenance will be easier if the specifications are the same as the standard. I don't understand if the difference is necessary.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

Extended incorporated and earlier version of the patch which was broken in some places and did not handle roatable buildings correctly among other issues. (Like no way back to single tile and vice versa.) In the end, I had to rewrite it almost entirely, very little was left of the patch originally (which is the one in extended, as far as I know.)

The standard patch has been tested very much due to pak128.German and pak192.comic both containing multitile rotatable citybuildings. This means that the relevant commits in standard are spread through some revisions, unfortunately. Maybe most easy is to generate a diff between before and current state. (svn diff -r123:HEAD)

Since it just concerns the placing of the buildings, the standard code should work, even with extendend.

jamespetts

Prissi - that is helpful, thank you. This may well be able to be fixed as the merge work goes ahead, especially since the town building code remains mostly unchanged from Standard for now.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on September 27, 2020, 11:33:20 AMMaybe most easy is to generate a diff between before and current state. (svn diff -r123:HEAD)

Since it just concerns the placing of the buildings, the standard code should work, even with extendend.
No changes related to multi-tiles have been incorporated yet. This is because what I've done so far (changes to networks and GUIs) isn't directly related to the multi-tile buildings code, but I'd like to look into the multi-tile buildings code. It would be very helpful if you could tell me which file to look at, when, the commit number, etc. If I could know the filename, I would be able to find out what to change from the diff.

According to my memorandum, these may be involved in commits that haven't been incorporated yet, but I'm not sure.
8749, 8783, 8792, 8794, 8905, 9163
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

THe changes are entriely in simcity.cc and the hausbauer.*, I think and some tiny stuff might be in gebaude.*