News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Inconsistent coordinate display - (XX,YY) vs <XX,YY>

Started by Ranran(retired), November 15, 2020, 04:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

I've always been concerned about this. I would like to raise this issue at the opportunity of GUI update work. Why simutrans people~. (Jason screams)

Currently, the following two notations are mixed for coordinate display.

NotationDisplayed dialogs
(XXX, YYY)
(XXX, YYY, ZZZ)
Title bar(building info), Connection factory list(Factory info, Station detail), Message centre
Schedule
<XXX, YYY>Singnal info, Cargo info(destination detail etc)
Why simutrans people~. (Jason screams again)
Generally, the notation should be unified in one game.

(XXX, YYY) is used in many dialogs. However, ( ) is also used in many places when writing numerical values or supplementary information together.
I think <XXX, YYY> has a history of being used to avoid confusion with them. For example, Destination building <XXX, YYY> (City name)
Considering that, I think it would be better to unify it to <XXX, YYY> style.

What do you think about this? (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Matthew

In English and Mandarin, it is usual to write (x,y) coordinates in brackets (parentheses).

But I do not have a strong opinion about this.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ranran(retired)

Thank you for your opinion. I think it's a mathematical expression rather than English or specific language. Also in the program it is an array of two or three.
I'm not sure if that is necessary in the in-game display. Someone has previously used the <> notation in extended. I remember seeing the <> for coordinates in another game, but I can't remember for sure...

EDIT:

For example, the signal box list and depot list display city names, region names, and coordinates to indicate whereabouts.
The signal capacity and the number of connections are displayed in parentheses.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Roboron

I've always seen coordinates expressed as (x,y).

However, I don't think it is confusing to change it to <x,y>. Specially if it can help distinguishing between coordinates numbers and other kind of numbers place together.

Mariculous

I have never seen an <x,y> koordinate notation in mathematics nor in everyday use.
Simutrans is the only place where I have seen these and I was in fact a little confused. I assumed it was a koord, but as it used a different notation, I also assumed there must be be something special about it, which seemed to be wrong.

Thus, I a gree with Ranran, we should use a consistent notation.
Imho that notation should be (x,y) because that's a very common notation in everyday use.