News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

mixed_load_prohibition and universally usable vehicles.

Started by Vladki, October 23, 2020, 06:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

There is a lot of vehicles, that can be used quite universally. Simple open wagons or lorries can carry bulk goods, as well as long goods, or even piece goods (barrels). Now that we have mixed_load_prohibition this could be feasible to allow more cargo types (freight=) in the same vehicle.

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on October 23, 2020, 06:38:02 PM
There is a lot of vehicles, that can be used quite universally. Simple open wagons or lorries can carry bulk goods, as well as long goods, or even piece goods (barrels). Now that we have mixed_load_prohibition this could be feasible to allow more cargo types (freight=) in the same vehicle.

This is an interesting thought, although the same vehicle cannot have multiple types of goods (e.g., both bulk goods and piece goods), although they can have more than one of the same type (e.g. grain and coal, both bulk goods).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jonbridg

I like this idea, Drop-side lorries and Open railway wagons can carry practically anything. Naturally the lack of roof/tall sides would restrict the capacity, so dedicated wagons would remain the most efficient transport for large consignments.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2020, 10:18:24 AM
This is an interesting thought, although the same vehicle cannot have multiple types of goods (e.g., both bulk goods and piece goods), although they can have more than one of the same type (e.g. grain and coal, both bulk goods).

This is a totally accurate description of how Simutrans works, but perhaps misses Vladki's point. I will try to annotate to indicate what I think he said:

Quote from: VladkiThere is a lot of vehicles [in real life], that can be used quite universally. Simple open wagons or lorries [in real life] can carry bulk goods, as well as long goods, or even piece goods (barrels) [at different times]. Now that we have mixed_load_prohibition this could be feasibl[ly replicated in Simutrans by] allow[ing] more cargo types (freight=) [at different times] in the same vehicle [in Simutrans].

Vladki, if I have misunderstood you, you can of course speak for yourself!  ;D

This change would not make much (any?) economic difference now,  but it might come into its own when the new consist system comes into operation. So it would be possible to recommend that any new road vehicles in Extended use something like the hulls system for ships so that they are ready to be used under the new scheme.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Vladki

Matthew understood exactly what I mean. Thanks for adding the notes. What I am suggesting will make economic benefits even now. Think about a train using the open wagons carrying coal in one way and loading wood for the way back. This is not possible now, and won't be possible even if using the cargo holds system from ships. It would take an insane amount of micromanagement - send train to depot, replace all of cargo holds, and send it again. Also it will disrupt the flow of cargo - there will be no wood waiting on the station, unless there is at least one train with the appropriate hold on the way.

So for the players the incentive may be - use universal wagons with lower capacity and higher load times, but use them both ways; or use specialized wagons with quick unloading, higher capacity, but with less opportunities to fill on return trip.

jamespetts

Do I understand correctly that this is intended to be a feature request for allowing multiple types of goods to use the same wagon at once? This is likely to require a fundamental rewrite of large parts of the code, as there are large and disparate areas of the code which all assume the current system, which is quite fundamental to how a lot of things work, and would probably be a very large task. It is not a priority for my own work at present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Yes it is a feature request. Although not for loading multiple types (categories) of goods _at once_ (not mixing coal and wood), but without need to rebuild in depot (whether as an upgrade or using cargo holds). So that the vehicles can e.g. deliver coal one way and wood on return trip. I agree that this is not top priority, but at least the knowledge that the assumption of single goods category is on many places is valuable.

freddyhayward

I agree with Vladki. Short-distance and small-scale freight is currently very difficult to achieve without significant micromanagement or expense.

jonbridg

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2020, 03:56:21 PMallowing multiple types of goods to use the same wagon at once
My understanding is that the feature would allow, say, bulk goods OR long goods, but not bulk goods AND long goods, so they wouldn't be both using the wagon at once.

Ranran(retired)

It has multidimensional complexity. In the real world, the load capacity depends on the difference in volume and weight (and seat).
For example, if you fold a seat in a room and carry luggage instead, what does that capacity depend on? Capacity, the number of seats, has turned into a useless number.

Quote from: prissi on November 26, 2020, 01:56:50 PMHowing both a weight and capacity limit to obey would make a 100% load calculation somewhat more challenging.
For this reason I think this is quite complicated and difficult to implement.
Game balance and GUI clarity must also be considered.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

knotwork

Surely that is simply a matter of assigning a weight to passengers? Those folding seats could each provide seating for a weight of passenger(s) that corresponds in other goods to "one" unit of weight?

Even though oil is given in litres and bulk goods in what, pounds or tons or whatever, and mail in bags, is there not an overall implied unit in which one bag of mail or one unit of oil or one unit of coal all kind-of correspond?

-MarkM-