News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

stop signs

Started by RealAmerican1776, December 30, 2020, 04:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Hello, in my Pak256.America, I would like to add a stop sign. Is there a way to have it function (I'm thinking like a signal) or should it be cosmetic?

freddyhayward

You could have one that sets a maximum local speed (e.g. 20mph) to loosely emulate the effect on traffic (though it won't actually make vehicles stop), but it should otherwise be cosmetic.

RealAmerican1776

Thank you. What about having it act like a stop light? I know vehicles will stop for lights so if do something with that I could adjust the time for the change to say a second. Would that work?

freddyhayward

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on December 30, 2020, 05:10:34 AMThank you. What about having it act like a stop light? I know vehicles will stop for lights so if do something with that I could adjust the time for the change to say a second. Would that work?
I don't think these are pre-configurable - players would have to set the times themselves, and could change them to whatever they wanted. So I probably wouldn't do it that way.

RealAmerican1776

Alright. Looks like cosmetic it is. Thank you for your help.

freddyhayward

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on December 30, 2020, 05:17:04 AM
Alright. Looks like cosmetic it is. Thank you for your help.
I believe most cosmetic signs use the maximum speed sign as a base, and set the maximum speed high enough that it doesn't affect gameplay, but I haven't tried this myself so I don't know the exact process.

Vladki

There is no MAX speed sign.  Maximum speed is defined by the way (road/track). However there is MIN speed sign. This can be (ab)used to completely block a road by setting insanely high value. Or set 0 and make a sign that does nothing. Also if you want a sign that is purely decorative, you can add it to the road itself - i.e. warning arrows in corners. So you can add a stop (give-way) sign to the road image with T-crossing. But it will confuse players as the vehicles will not obey it.

jamespetts

I have moved this thread to the paksets subforum since this is a question about pakset development rather than Simutrans-Extended code development.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.