News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

When was the last incident of vandalism in a multiplayer game?

Started by Matthew, January 15, 2021, 12:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

A great deal of Extended coding effort goes in to protecting online multiplayer games from vandals.

I am wondering whether this actually a realistic consideration.

When was the last incident of intentional vandalism in an online multiplayer game? For example, a new player logged on and redirected the trains of a player who did not use a password.

I know that we have had vandals in the Discord server. However, they were quickly dealt with and it is much, much easier to access a Discord server than to access a Sim-Ex online game.

It could also be argued that we do not have vandalism because of all the effort that goes in to avoiding it. That may well be true. But it also reminds me of the old joke about the squirrel and the elephants.....  ;D
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

I am not sure when the last incident of deliberate vandalism/trolling was; but not all things that are exploits are so easily defined as such. There is very little coding effort that is specific to outright vandalism as opposed to more subtle exploits. I know that, before the public right of way code was introduced, it was routine for players to destroy roads between towns, and even between different parts of towns, to build their own networks - not through any malicious intent, but because it was more convenient to build their networks that way; but this has the incidental effect of suppressing competition from private cars and other players who would use road transport.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

The only two things I saw that were close to vandalism on Stephenson-siemens was this:
- someone (probably a newbie) connected to the game. Default player was unlocked, and some other players too (abandoned but profitable).
- his connection was very bad and laggy, so he had the feeling that it doesn't work and probably started to smash the keyboard or clicking here and there
- the result was a few stretches of nonsense roads and rails here and there, a few new villages, and wasted money of the unlocked players.
In general not that big deal anyway.

Second case was a player who first asked for sharing seaports, which was granted, but later started to use also the railways of the other player, which disrupted his precise scheduling and perhaps caused deadlock.
I'm not sure but I think this was reported as wishlist request, to make the permission system more granular - i.e. allow permissons on each waytype separately. It is no big deal sharing seaports, as they do not simulate congestion. Also sharing roads and airports is quite easy, but sharing railroads requires some more cooperation and trust between players.