News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Japanese characters do not appear in demo game

Started by Matthew, June 01, 2021, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

The demo game includes vehicles with Japanese characters. I guess they are kanji.

But they do not appear on my system (Ubuntu, no Japanese IME):

I guess that I need to install a BDF font for Simutrans-Extended? Do you know a good BDF font with Japanese characters, please?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Phystam

You can use Unicode fonts installed in your computer, instead of the simutrans standard BDF fonts.
Or use unifont: http://unifoundry.com/unifont/ that supports almost all Unicode glyphs.

Roboron

You can use Unicode .ttf fonts installed on your system if you have compiled Simutrans Extended with FreeType. Take in mind, that if you compile Simutrans-Extended using cmake, that this option is off by default (I don't know why).

Matthew

Quote from: Phystam on June 01, 2021, 05:03:44 PM
You can use Unicode fonts installed in your computer, instead of the simutrans standard BDF fonts.
Or use unifont: http://unifoundry.com/unifont/ that supports almost all Unicode glyphs.

Quote from: Roboron on June 01, 2021, 08:42:58 PM
You can use Unicode .ttf fonts installed on your system if you have compiled Simutrans Extended with FreeType. Take in mind, that if you compile Simutrans-Extended using cmake, that this option is off by default (I don't know why).

Thank you; I didn't realize that OTF/TTF fonts were now usable in Extended. Simutrans finds fonts in ~./fonts but not /usr/share/fonts (where Ubuntu installs system fonts). I can use symlinks to get around this though.

I will now be able to play historical games with historical fonts!

Quote from: Andarix on June 01, 2021, 10:28:33 PM
wenquanyi_9pt.bdf ~3,3 MByte

Thank you! This actually looks much better than OTF/TTF fonts for CJK text. It seems bitmap fonts still have a niche.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。