News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

How do I build an elevated junction?

Started by Matthew, April 25, 2022, 02:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I am trying to build an elevated junction (or in this case, a station throat). I have build the elevated lines that will be platforms. I have built a Concrete Elevated Diagonal (West) one tile to the east of where the junction will be.  I have built Four concrete posts for concrete elevated to support the junction. But now I need to build the concrete that will hold the actual junction. But despite trying many different tools, I can't work out which elevated tool to use on top:

I have tried the various Junction and Cross Junction tools, but they either cannot be built or will not allow me to lay track, or look so wrong that I haven't tried to lay track.

Does anyone know, please?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

PJMack

Both the "Concrete elevated" and "Junction for concrete viaduct or elevated" need to be placed on the "Four concrete posts for concrete elevated".  There are several ways that this can be done depending on what is planned to go beneath the junction.

Since you have manually placed the "Four concrete posts for concrete elevated", I can assume there was a reason behind it, likely future plans (or leaving options open) for ways beneath the junction.  If this is the case, then the easiest way to proceed would be to place the "Concrete elevated" on the "Four concrete posts for concrete elevated", then use the "Concrete viaduct elevated support" from the automatic tools menu with the height offset set to zero to complete the junction by dragging.  None of the concrete junctions block ways beneath, so in that case there would be no need for manually placing one.

In the event that one were to need to place a junction elevated way block manually, one can use the sliced underground mode to set the cursor at the proper layer.  Starting from the beginning of the above screen shot, one would hover the mouse over the "Four concrete posts for concrete elevated", press Control-U, then proceed to place the "Concrete elevated" then "Junction for concrete viaduct or elevated" on such posts with the appropriate orientations.  If one were to place the junction first, the aesthetics would be bad, however the track would still be place-able. 

In the event that one does not care about what ways could be built beneath the elevated junction or way, I would recommend purely the use of the automated tools.

Matthew

PJMack, thank you for the swift and helpful explanation. :thumbsup:

Quote from: PJMack on April 25, 2022, 05:25:54 PMthen use the "Concrete viaduct elevated support" from the automatic tools menu with the height offset set to zero to complete the junction by dragging

This reveals my fundamental misunderstanding: I didn't trust the automatic tools to build junctions...

The old system left me with a distrust of automatic junctions because of all the times I ended up with elevated ways built on top of elevated ways. But now it seems to work beautifully, thank you.

Quote from: PJMack on April 25, 2022, 05:25:54 PMStarting from the beginning of the above screen shot, one would hover the mouse over the "Four concrete posts for concrete elevated", press Control-U, then proceed to place the "Concrete elevated" then "Junction for concrete viaduct or elevated" on such posts with the appropriate orientations.

So we can put more than one support at the same XYZ tile co-ordinates....! I had wrongly assumed not. That explains a lot  ;D , thank you.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

PJMack

Quote from: Matthew on April 26, 2022, 03:47:23 AMSo we can put more than one support at the same XYZ tile co-ordinates....! I had wrongly assumed not. That explains a lot  ;D , thank you.

You're Welcome.

There are caveats to placing multiple supports onto a single tile based upon the volume of space each support occupies in a giving rotation.  More details can be found in the pakset documentation.

Matthew

Quote from: PJMack on April 27, 2022, 12:13:00 AMThere are caveats to placing multiple supports onto a single tile based upon the volume of space each support occupies in a giving rotation.  More details can be found in the pakset documentation.

I will respond to this in that thread.

PJMack