News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

A couple questions from a new Extended player

Started by Antonin, May 06, 2022, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonin

After years of playing standard Simutrans I finally downloaded Extended. 

Which of the three exe files should I use to launch the game? Simutrans-Extended,  Simutrans-Extended-32 or  Simutrans-Extended-64? I have a 2-year old "x64-based PC" with an Intel Core i3-9100 CPU and 4.31GB of available physical memory.

How do you get sound in the game? I see how to turn off music, but I would like "revenue sounds," etc to play.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Matthew

Welcome to Extended, Antonin!

If you are on Windows, then I think Simutrans-Extended.exe and Simutrans-Extended-64.exe should be identical, so you can use either of those on your x64 machine.

Sounds are turned off by default. To enable it:

• Open the Options Dialog by clicking on the top-left icon.
  • Open the Sound Dialog (in pak.128-Britain Ex, you can also press <SHIFT>+<Y> to open this).
  • Untick on "Mute sound".

On Extended, sounds are only played when you are close to the sound source (e.g. zoomed in on a vehicle). You might want to increase the default Sound range value. As you can see, I use 15 for lots of sounds.

If you never want Simutrans' own music, you can load the game without it, which will slightly improve performance and memory usage. On Windows, you should make a shortcut for the game and edit the Target field to add this parameter:

"c:\path\to\exe\simutrans-extended-64.exe" -nomidi
As a new player, you might find my Quick Reference Guide to pak128.Britain-Ex is helpful. Extended has a steep learning curve, so do ask more questions here or on the Simutrans Discord server.

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Matthew

Quote from: Antonin on May 07, 2022, 10:20:06 PMUnfortunately, I still do not have sounds even when I zoom in all the way. I remember years ago I used to have vehicle sounds (sounds when a vehicle leaves a stop) in standard Simutrans, but only with the default pakset. I never had sounds with the Britain pakset.

Sounds are a welcome part of the game.

Hmm. This is strange. I definitely hear sounds.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but have you tried turning up the volume just for Simutrans? Right-click on the Volume icon in the Taskbar.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Quote from: Matthew on May 15, 2022, 07:39:56 AMHmm. This is strange. I definitely hear sounds.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but have you tried turning up the volume just for Simutrans? Right-click on the Volume icon in the Taskbar.
My apologies: I did indeed forget to push the commit. I have now done so, so I should be grateful if you could re-test with to-morrow's nightly build.

Edit: My apologies: I seem to have put this post in the wrong thread.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.