News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Trains ignoring or forgetting about token block/single staff signalling

Started by 1993matias, June 20, 2022, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1993matias

It seems like some trains have troubles remembering. I have a setup with a single track line and a single passing loop in the middle to serve two trains. I use token block signals after they have left the platforms, and it all works fine. Until the train reaches the last station and turns around. Then it forgets all about the token and reverts to 1 kph driving. It happens several places on the map, and with both token block and single staff cabinets. Both narrow gauge and normal gauge lines are affected.

Try with the savegame attached. Let the game run for a bit and you should hopefully see a train totally and completely ignoring the single staff cabinet at 234,655.
The narrow gauge line at 2502,1466 shows strange behaviour too, as does the line at 1683,1130

This is a new problem, as the save was last edited in January and did not present these problems back then. Try looking at the departues per month and scheduled departure charts for the narrow gauge line NG Abbeyleigh - Enniskillen of player Irish Rail.

These are not the only places affected, many other places are affected too.

Savegame available on OneDrive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KeNV0tivCgYaT5FcUrogCUMSF-KHv06e/view?usp=sharing

Matthew

Quote from: 1993matias on June 20, 2022, 08:23:17 PMSavegame available on OneDrive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KeNV0tivCgYaT5FcUrogCUMSF-KHv06e/view?usp=sharing

I tried opening the Google Drive link, but it can't be opened without permission. (This is the default on Google Drive, I have made exactly this mistake many times myself!).
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Matthew

Thank you for fixing the link.

I was able to reproduce the bug on the narrow gauge line NG Abbeyleigh - Enniskillen of player Irish Rail.

In my experience, the Extended signalling system does not handle all possible cases, but only those that the designer expected it to handle. So I changed the layout to the one recommended by the in-game help pages, using passing loops (Irish Rail was not actually using passing loops at all) and twin One Train Staff cabinets on adjacent tiles. It can be downloaded here. I am not saying it's a better layout that the original one, but I think it is closer to what James had in mind when he designed the signalling system. Even in the changed layout, trains continued to use the One Train Staff working method even after they had passed the One Train Staff cabinet at the exit of the dead end. I guess it's possible that this is some hangover from the original layout, but I did a lot of cycles and used the Block Reservation Cancel tool to try to reset the trains and the problem persisted, so I think it's a real bug.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

1993matias

I mean, it's easy to avoid the bug by providing ample signalling and passing sidings. But the point is that it's a rail company that wants to save money and not build signal cabins all over the place. 

Thanks anyway :)