News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

How does humidity work?

Started by Mishasama, June 08, 2022, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishasama

I can't find any guide on humidity.

What do these options mean?
Screenshot_20220609-043433__02.jpg
 And how is this used?

I always generate a weird map.
Does it not work with map generator?
Because of some reason. I am looking for volunteers who can help me update the Pak64.Nightly.

I'm helping to build the Chinese community for now.
如果您是使用中文的玩家,歡迎到這裏尋找同好或張貼您們組織的聯係方式。
如果你是中文玩家,欢迎来这个帖子里找组织或者贴出你们的联系方式。

prissi

Please say what you mean by wierd. If most is desert, you set the summer snowline at too high values.

For more explaiantion, see this thread: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,20086.0.html

Mishasama

Screenshot_20220615-062343_c37b88de9b08b704a3dd015a06efa4aa__01.jpg
I using these settings to create the map.

Screenshot_20220615-062527_c37b88de9b08b704a3dd015a06efa4aa__01.jpg
And then I always get a map like this.

Rivers are often accompanied by desert areas. Moreover, the desert areas are longitudinally strip-shaped.
But they don't seem to be related to the height of the terrain.
Because of some reason. I am looking for volunteers who can help me update the Pak64.Nightly.

prissi

On smaller maps the increase parameters must become higher. The climates work better the larger the map is.

Also the winter snowline is decisive. Too far away from the snowline it always tropical or desert. Try to lower the winter snowline.

Mishasama

Quote from: prissi on June 23, 2022, 03:02:15 PMOn smaller maps the increase parameters must become higher. The climates work better the larger the map is.
Screenshot_20220627-093234__01.jpg
But all these settings can't be saved. How can I modify it?

Mishasama

Quote from: prissi on June 23, 2022, 03:02:15 PMOn smaller maps the increase parameters must become higher. The climates work better the larger the map is.

Also the winter snowline is decisive. Too far away from the snowline it always tropical or desert. Try to lower the winter snowline.
Screenshot_20220627-094050__01.jpg
I have followed your instructions to increase the relevant parameters.

But I still get a map that generates desert areas next to water.Screenshot_20220627-094200__01.jpg   

And the desert is still a strange north-south strip.Screenshot_20220627-093946__01.jpg

prissi

The desert stripes will be along north-south, if you use northern wind. Usually when I generate a new map, I fiddle with the climate settings until I get something I like. The smoother the map, the more boring are the climates.

But maybe there is an error on the increase parameter, because 10 should generate extreme maps. I will look into it.

Flemmbrav

Heyo,

hijaking this:
I'd love to be able to change the presets of that kind of map generation within the pakset.

In plus, is there a way to make some climates disappear from the map?

Mishasama

Quote from: prissi on June 27, 2022, 12:28:07 PMThe desert stripes will be along north-south, if you use northern wind. Usually when I generate a new map, I fiddle with the climate settings until I get something I like. The smoother the map, the more boring are the climates.

But maybe there is an error on the increase parameter, because 10 should generate extreme maps. I will look into it.

Don't you think the area near the water source should not be a desert? I felt very strange about this. The humidity near the water source should be very high.

Octavius

I always play extended and don't know about Simutrans climates, but let me pop in.

Deserts can definitely be near a source of water. Look at the Nile or the Red Sea. What happens here, I think, is that the rivers and coasts are lower than the surrounding plain, which makes it hotter and may trigger desert formation. In real life, these elevation differences are way too small to cause a different climate (coastal plains and the sea, or lowland rivers and the surrounding plains, are at the same level plus or minus a decametre or so, whilst a significant change in climate takes several hectometres), but in Simutrans elevation is not to scale.

Just pretend those deserts along rivers and coasts are actually beaches.