News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

How to build a elevated way above a road

Started by TransportFanMar, September 11, 2022, 06:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TransportFanMar

It's 1850. I have a city district which has many valuable buildings, so to minimize demolition when building my rail line, I want to build an elevated way above roads. How can I do the following:
1. Where the current down slope is, change it to a slope going up leading to the elevated way so that the elevated way can have enough clearance underneath?
2. Rebuild Fenchurch High Street Station as an elevated station on an elevated way (which elevated ways can I use? See also #3)
3. Make the elevated way have sharp turns as shown in the image below: (I can't seem to make it work)
EDIT: 4. Build stations on the rest of the elevated way which I may extend further than shown on the top left

EDIT: I will probably have to demolish the buildings along the planned route. Is this correct?

I know this will be expensive, but I want to know. Is it even possible?

Check this picture for city layout: emchurch extension.JPG

1993matias

Elevated ways (now called piers) can't be built on top of buildings. You can click and drag to build the pier on top of the road. Only some piers can be built on top of and following roads. Only some piers allow to build stations on them.

To elevate the station, simply demolish it and rebuild it. Be sure to edit the timetables of any routes and convoys using the station, as they need the new coordinates of the elevated platform (they will try to look for the platform at the previous position otherwise).

TransportFanMar

Quote from: 1993matias on September 11, 2022, 08:06:43 PMElevated ways (now called piers) can't be built on top of buildings. You can click and drag to build the pier on top of the road. Only some piers can be built on top of and following roads. Only some piers allow to build stations on them.

To elevate the station, simply demolish it and rebuild it. Be sure to edit the timetables of any routes and convoys using the station, as they need the new coordinates of the elevated platform (they will try to look for the platform at the previous position otherwise).

Yes, but it seems that in 1850 no piers can follow the road.

zook2

I'm far from being experienced with elevated roads (and they are a great addition to the game, but they can be a pain in the neck). Anyway:

- CTRL-click the icon to set the starting height for the road (n levels above terrain). The default is two.

- You can build an ER over some buildings. I'm not sure what the exact rules are. For example, Timber Viaduct Lvl +2 can be built over Hovels, but not town houses. So it's height, but also foundations that matter.

- As for sharp turns: have you clicked the fifth icon in the menu bar? On the right of the ER submenu there's a button for Advanced Construction. There you'll find all the bits and pieces to build your ER from scratch, including junctions for 45 or 90°. Did I mention a pain in the neck? At least it took me a while to get the hang of it.

zook2

Quote from: TransportFanMar on September 12, 2022, 01:21:57 AMYes, but it seems that in 1850 no piers can follow the road.
I only know that brick or stone pillars (four in a square) can follow the road, but I don't know what to put on them.

Matthew

Quote from: zook2 on September 12, 2022, 01:30:46 AMI only know that brick or stone pillars (four in a square) can follow the road, but I don't know what to put on them.

I don't think they can in 1850.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

PJMack

Quote from: zook2 on September 12, 2022, 01:30:46 AMI only know that brick or stone pillars (four in a square) can follow the road, but I don't know what to put on them.

If the pillars you are referring to are the "Pillar for Brick arch Cross Junction" and "Pillar for cross junction for stone arch", then they are designed to support the "Brick arch cross junction" and "cross junction for stone arch".  The "junction" pieces cannot support a way by themselves but are for retrofitting straight pieces to allow road intersections and rail junctions.  Those particular pieces were designed for the throats of elevated rail stations.

Quote from: zook2 on September 12, 2022, 01:24:00 AMYou can build an ER over some buildings. I'm not sure what the exact rules are. For example, Timber Viaduct Lvl +2 can be built over Hovels, but not town houses. So it's height, but also foundations that matter.
This is done on a case by case basis.  By default, Elevated way supports cannot be built on buildings, however some buildings have a pair of flags in their pakset data to allow specific classes of elevated way supports to be built on, one set of flags for the first layer and another for the second.  I only set those flags for "buildings" that would realistically and geometrically allow types of elevated ways above them and not create too much of a visual anomaly using existing graphics.