News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Bridgewater-Brunel is not compiling makeobj-extended for Linux

Started by Matthew, September 16, 2022, 06:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Bridgewater-Brunel normally provides up-to-date versions of all Sim-Ex executables.

Makeobj-extended for Linux is provided here. But it has not been updated since 2022-05-23. There is also no makeobj-extended for Linux in the Complete ZIP file.

Makeobj-extended for Windows appears to be built successfully, though I have not tested it.

I am slightly curious as to how B-B is building the nightly pakset distribution. Perhaps it is using the old 2022-05-23 version of makeobj-extended; that would explain why the distributed themes are broken. But it's possible that it is building another copy in a directory that's not exposed to public view.

I am also having difficulty getting makeobj-extended to run, which may or may not be a separate problem.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ranran(retired)

There was a report on the Japanese BBS that makeobj-extended is currently unavailable.
I've been using the self-built version for a long time, so I haven't used the recently distributed version.
I downloaded it from here and tested it, but indeed it's not working in my environment.
On the other hand, standard's latest makeobj works fine.

It seems that makeobj was updated 5 months ago. I suspect this patch may be involved.

I'm not sure if the problems Matthew is reporting from time to time are related to this.
He seems to be able to output the error by makeobj, but I can't even boot it, so I can't even print the error.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Ranran(retired)

I've tested the makeobj executable for windows generated by git action and it doesn't work. This works but somehow prints a bunch of errors(same error message Matthew previously reported).
This behaves differently than the distributed makeobj. This throws a lot of errors but works.
I built the latest source myself and it was the same. It works.
But the one distributed on the server doesn't work. And it has a very large file size.

Ranran(retired)

I've verified that reverting this commit no longer produces a bunch of meaningless error messages.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. The commit in question appears to be a large merge commit making very wide-ranging changes to the structure of makeobj. It appears to have originated from PJMack.

Can I check - when you tested reverting that specific merge, was everything working as normal?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ranran(retired)

I'm posting my take on the matter in this thread.
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21476.msg201744.html#msg201744

EDIT:
I think the patch caused two issues.

(1) Spamming bunch of error messages

(2) Stop build environment for makeobj or generate broken makeobj.

I have no idea about (2).

jamespetts

I believe that this has now been fixed, the problem having been an error in the build scripts on the server.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on November 05, 2022, 01:19:44 PMI believe that this has now been fixed, the problem having been an error in the build scripts on the server.
Still it doesn't work. (´・ω・`)
I'm wondering why the one distributed on the Bridgewater Brunel server is 895KB.
Both the standard one and the self-build version are only about 300KB, but they work.
It's so fat.  ???

jamespetts

Looking briefly at this - makeobj-extended does seem to be compiling: we have a version from the 9th of January 2023 downloadable here. Can I check why it is thought that this was not working?