News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[r10421] Multiplayer not usable since a couple of days

Started by Flemmbrav, October 24, 2022, 05:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flemmbrav

Heyo everyone,

I can't really give you a proper bug report, as this seems quite weird.
We encountered a couple of issues starting around the same time in the past days on our pak192.comic team server.
We didn't change the enviroment at all.
What did change was the announcement server going south, but that's a thing I'd expect to happen once a while and that should not result in the following:

- Sometimes some clients connect properly
- Sometimes the game freezes in the very first frame after joining the server
- Sometimes the client / server communication doesn't seem to work at all and the map of the server doesn't even appear on the "join server"-dialogue, even with manually typed in url&port number

The weird part on all of that I had all of the three on the very same machine. But some machines only have the latter two states.

I don't really know what kind of information would be helpful to debug this, thus I'm not attaching random spam.

But I'm not hesitating to send any kind of information that could be helpful solving this!

prissi

The list server was very slow for whatever reasons. I restarted it and it seems much faster. Did this solve this issue?

Michael 'Cruzer'

Quote from: prissi on October 28, 2022, 05:42:13 AMDid this solve this issue?

It seems to vary greatly from hour to hour. Works fine and then hours later again might have the same issues as before.

But I would highly suspect it to be related to the server list indeed: most times when there are issues, the server list doesn't load (= client takes 60 seconds before it times out when opening the servers list) and then when you manually login to the server via the IP address the server freeze after the login happens. So, my guess is Simutrans reports something back to the server list in that moment (for example, change of use count).

Maybe some alternative ideas (if the server list server is supposed to be running correctly): might there be any rule-based firewall infront of the server list server that occasionally blocks some of us? Maybe a change of the ruleset that had been too aggressive and now randomly blocks legit client requests.
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.

prissi

The serverlist responds for me always quickly. Could it be that you try to access it with https, which does not work due to the way it is set up. If I try https, I get a timeout.

It is also a shame that it does not have a 64 bit IP6 address record, even though the server can do IP6 since the beginning (and has an IP6).

Anyway, I could try to run the simlist on the other server. One would just need a change of DNS for that.

Flemmbrav

Serverlist still takes quite a while to load for me.
But you're right, it seems related to the serverlist.

I tried turning the server announcement off, and we got a proper game again.
^- that "fix" did not work when I've been posting about this issue first, but I'm very happy to be able to play again.

prissi

I am not sure. I have a backup serverlist at https://simlist.simutrans-forum.de/list which could be activated by changing the A and AAAA record (or just change the code).

But both websites have the same responsiveness according to uptimerobot, about 500-600 ms for the complete page. I strongly suspect the DNS lookup to be a part of the problem, maybe waiting for an AAAA timeout before trying A records for IPv4.

EDIT: The server has an IP6, but all request for IP6 are stopped t the gateway. I have contacted the hoster to see about this.

EDIT2: The simlist can reach the outside again, so hopefully the problem has been solved. Whenever a server had an IP6, simlist tried to verify it, but could not do it, since the outside route was broken (because the hoster changed his IP6 block without updating the servers ... )

EDIT3: The pak128.German still hangs every annouve for almost 120s, a very long timeout. Instigating further.

prissi

The AAAA record is still wrong. New IP6 ist 2001:41d0:700:5b4b::234
Really annoying that they moved around my server so much.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Did someone update this? I went to update the record and it was already set to the new IP. Weirdness.

prissi

According to authorative DNS lookup, there is still the old address roported from ns1.pc2.io

makie

yes google-dns too :-[
#
Quotedig @8.8.8.8 servers.simutrans.org any

; <<>> DiG 9.18.2 <<>> @8.8.8.8 servers.simutrans.org any
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25146
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;servers.simutrans.org.        IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
servers.simutrans.org.  14400  IN      AAAA    2001:41d0:700:2b8e::234
servers.simutrans.org.  14400  IN      A      5.135.125.166

;; Query time: 884 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) (TCP)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 03 13:16:31 CET 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 94
::-\ ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com give also -> .:2b8e:
Quotedig @8.8.8.8 ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com any

; <<>> DiG 9.18.2 <<>> @8.8.8.8 ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com any
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49088
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com.      IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com. 3600  IN      A       5.135.125.166
ct234.pm2-host.1awww.com. 3600  IN      AAAA    2001:41d0:700:2b8e::234

;; Query time: 356 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) (TCP)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 03 13:24:42 CET 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 97
http://[2001:41d0:700:5b4b::234]/list --> OK
http://[2001:41d0:700:2b8e::234]/list --> no answer

prissi

I think only you (Isaac) has access to the DNS settings.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I see the issue. I looked at the beginning and end and didn't catch the only part that was changed... sorry. Updated now, propagation will take standard propagation time.

prissi

That seems to have done the trick, the servers have their announcements on time without 60s timeouts anymore. I think long-term I should choose a different hoster that does not move around IP6 at a whim.

Michael 'Cruzer'

Both the server and my local computer support IPv6, so that could be related.

Seems the authoritative DNS servers are up to date already and the recursors picked the entries up too already:

% dig +short servers.simutrans.org A

% dig +short servers.simutrans.org AAAA
2001:41d0:700:5b4b::234

I also just gave it a quick try and the network game seems to currently be running stable (without any 60s timeouts) for me too.
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.