News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Question about weird branching conditions in can_overtake()

Started by Ranran(retired), December 07, 2022, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

I am sorry to have to write such a complaint but THLeaderH has destroyed some overtaking features in extended. He's not going to deal with it. Because he recommends in his own video to merge the patch into stanrdard/extended to free himself from code maintenance. (However, IIRC James made a note that if you submit a patch, you basically have to do the maintenance yourself. The configuration of the board changed and I couldn't find it now...)

Especially his patch labeled as the bugfix on 2019 broke a lot. He completely disregarded the advice of Acarlotti and Turfit, causing their expected consequences. Unfortunately I don't have enough coding skills to deal with those issues. And addressing one bug can cause another. And above all, it is a huge black box.

Regarding one of the bugs, he made it impossible to overtake a bus that loading at a bus stop on a default road. Breaking basic functionality like this will only make players sad. And it has been broken for 3 years...
I checked the code to try to fix the problem.
https://github.com/aburch/simutrans/blob/ce018efdd1c8cae7735357280d9db3d4b2fa6172/src/simutrans/simconvoi.cc#L3691
He rewrote this line and broke the overtaking function of the bus stop in extended.
I found that reverting this code (same as standard) should fix this bug.
But here other_speed is always 0 because it inside if( other_speed == 0 ) {} also with standard.
So here it always evaluates tiles = 2, but THLeaderH did the opposite, then it looks like the overtaking function is broken.
Anyway, my point is this line (line 3691) of standard also looks weird, I mean, in standard sint32 tiles is always a constant of "2".
So I would appreciate it if you could confirm the intention or correct processing of this line.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Dwachs

Honestly, I do not know why this change was made in standard. Both values for 'tiles' look legit to me.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.