News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Where are all the elevated tracks gone?

Started by Donald C., December 26, 2022, 06:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald C.

For now, all I get are bridges (which cannot make turns) or 'elevated way support', which cannot be built above a road in the same direction.

Leartin

Probably Extended? I don't play myself, but I think Extended removed elevated ways in favour of a system where supports and ways are built separately. So the old elevated ways are gone intentionally and not coming back, most things can be replicated with supports, and what isn't possible is probably intentionally left out.

Donald C.

Yes, that's exactly extended. But I have no idea how to build elevated ways using those tools. And I can't even find any tutorials about them.

jamespetts

Quote from: Sandbox Player on December 26, 2022, 11:57:55 AMYes, that's exactly extended. But I have no idea how to build elevated ways using those tools. And I can't even find any tutorials about them.
There is a video tutorial here.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Donald C.

Thanks, but the game never allows me to build elevated way over road. The video only builds over river.

jamespetts

Quote from: Sandbox Player on December 26, 2022, 01:32:02 PMThanks, but the game never allows me to build elevated way over road. The video only builds over river.
Make sure to have the elevated way high enough over the road - try making it two tiles high.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Donald C.

No. I've tried it many times. Moving the bridges higher won't make them possible to go parallel above roads. Only 90 degree crossing with roads are allowed. Have you tried building elevated tracks following a road yourself?

209CATrus

Quote from: Sandbox Player on December 26, 2022, 03:49:31 PMNo. I've tried it many times. Moving the bridges higher won't make them possible to go parallel above roads. Only 90 degree crossing with roads are allowed. Have you tried building elevated tracks following a road yourself?

Are you sure you are building the elevated way using the supports that actually support stacking?
Here's an example from 1910, you can clearly see why brick elevated ways are not allowed to be stacked upon other ways, and iron girder elevated supports are:

Mariculous

Quote from: Sandbox Player on December 26, 2022, 03:49:31 PMMoving the bridges higher won't make them possible to go parallel above roads. Only 90 degree crossing with roads are allowed.

Assuming you are in an early era where iron supports are not a thing, this is entirely intended.

Stone bridges need wide supports for their arcs. These simply cannot be built parallel to a road (or any other way) below, because this would make the road below impassible.