News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Curious Question: What paint program would you use for creating pak128?

Started by stmaker, August 20, 2010, 08:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stmaker

Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I use Photoshop, because I'm fortunate to have it; and I like using layers - it works well for the type of things I do.

stmaker

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 20, 2010, 08:08:42 AM
I use Photoshop...

I always wanted to have Photoshop... now I need to buy -.-

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 20, 2010, 08:08:42 AM
...I like using layers - it works well for the type of things I do.

Me too. Layers are the MOST important thing to use for.
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Zeno

The GIMP also has layer management, and is free. But I also use Photoshop, because I know it better :)
For creating simutrans objects I use Blender, a custom tool and Shades. Some (few) times also Photoshop.

Fabio

ӔO

photoshop has this one feature that GIMP does not have, and it's magic wand without contiguous selection. This tool really simplifies cleaning up 3D renders.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Zeno

Quote from: AEO on August 20, 2010, 12:26:04 PM
photoshop has this one feature that GIMP does not have, and it's magic wand without contiguous selection. This tool really simplifies cleaning up 3D renders.
Nice shot! 8)  I really used the magic wand a lot to clean my 3D renders. Even it is great to repaint graphics with special/player colors. Now I don't use it any more though.

Freewayman

I use PAINT.NET, it's fast, simple, and free.
The anti-aliasing sucks, though.

stmaker

stmaker

Another question:

Where will you get textures (rather than textures from this file.)

ӔO

for textures, you can use google image search and just type in something like 'red brick wall'.
You'd then have to somehow change the perspective of the image, be it a function of the painting program or popping it in a 3D program.

or you can play around with the hue, saturation and colour balance of the textures that are already made.

Colour safe chart:

stmaker

Quote from: AEO on August 25, 2010, 07:35:29 AM
You'd then have to somehow change the perspective of the image, be it a function of the painting program or popping it in a 3D program.

But how? :P

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Depends on the software you're using.

Try something like this: http://duckduckgo.com/?q=photoshop+perspective+tutorial -- only change the software to match what you're using.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

stmaker

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 25, 2010, 11:58:32 AM
Depends on the software you're using.

Try something like this: http://duckduckgo.com/?q=photoshop+perspective+tutorial -- only change the software to match what you're using.

Thanks but I don't have Photoshop.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

stmaker

sojo

Quote from: AEO on August 20, 2010, 12:26:04 PM
I had found this "The Magic Wand tool allows you to select an area of an image based on its colour". This tool is in GIMP too.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

ӔO

Quote from: sojo on August 27, 2010, 07:08:18 AM
I had found this "The Magic Wand tool allows you to select an area of an image based on its colour". This tool is in GIMP too.

but does it work with the entire picture or just the connected sections?
if it's the entire picture, is it a new feature for gimp or is it an extension? because that's about the only thing that keeps me from using GIMP for editing renders.

what usually happens with renders, is that all the unwanted parts of edges will not be selected by the magic wand in GIMP, instead forcing me to erase these pixels one by one.

Colour safe chart:

stmaker

Paint.NET has a magic wand that can be selected on full picture (100%), some parts of the picture (20% - 50%) and at the same colour-or-some-sort (1% - 15%).

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

stmaker

Fabio

Quote from: AEO on August 27, 2010, 07:14:08 AM
but does it work with the entire picture or just the connected sections?

Not the Magic Wand -- but a standard and different tool to select by colour imagewise (the button just on the right of the Magic Wand).

ӔO

Quote from: fabio on August 27, 2010, 09:20:31 AM
Not the Magic Wand -- but a standard and different tool to select by colour imagewise (the button just on the right of the Magic Wand).
I'll have to try that the next time I make something.

Colour safe chart:

stmaker