News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Pak64 Crashing upon loading

Started by Arkamaic, November 04, 2008, 12:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkamaic

Not sure if this is the right place. So sorry in advance.

Anyways... I just decided to switch back to pak64 from pak128. However, I can't play because as soon as the map finished loading, the whole program crashes.

BTW I'm using the latest and greatest on versions and releases.
My girlfriends photography site : A.A.J Photography

(I'm still working on it, so not 100% complete yet.)

Combuijs

If I understand you correctly, you made a map using pak128, played it, and then tried to load it using pak64?

If that's the case, then I have bad news for you, because that is impossible. Paks with different sizes are not exchangeable, different paks with same size are only exchangeable if all buildings, vehicles etc on the map can be found in the new pak. So, your map can only be played with pak128.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

robofish

Quote from: Combuijs on November 04, 2008, 07:47:37 AM
If that's the case, then I have bad news for you, because that is impossible. Paks with different sizes are not exchangeable,
Nope. The size does not matter, but the following is right for all paks, independent of the size.
different paks with same size are only exchangeable if all buildings, vehicles etc on the map can be found in the new pak.
Furthermore there is the so called compat.tab, a file that defines which objects of this pak replace the objects from the other pak best.

vilvoh

but that file is used in another sense, isn't it? I mean, it's used to keep the retrocompatibility between versions of the same pakset, new one and old one. Suppose you have written the right content for compat.tab , could it be used to play a savegame/map from another pakset?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

DirrrtyDirk

Only if all objects (especially factories) are the same size (number and shape of tiles they cover) - and I guess that's not the case.

So in theory one could, but in practice... nope.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Arkamaic

No, I started a brand new map when switching back to pak64. I kept tryin with it and I would get about 3 out of 5 games would crash once all buildings etc were loaded.

whoami

We might be able to help you more if you gave us the last lines of the file simu.log (start Simutrans with parameters "-log 1 -debug 3" to create it), taken directly after such a crash occurred.

Random guess: deleting file default.sve might help.

Both files reside under the user's "own data" folder.

QuoteI'm using the latest and greatest on versions and releases.
That's a little fuzzy. Please state the exact version details.

edit: How did you install the newer releases - on top of the existing installation?

Arkamaic

I'm using Simutrans 100.0 (r1867) with the newest pak,(which ever one is here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15.0)

As for starting Simutrans with the parameters.. how do you do that?

Sorry... I don't know what's going on when talkin about that.

Combuijs

QuoteAs for starting Simutrans with the parameters.. how do you do that?

In this topic http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=176.0 you will find a batch file. Put it into your simutrans directory, edit it to start with the right parameters (delete the pak128 part for exemple), save it and rename it to simutrans.bat. Double click on this file to start the program.

Your starting values for a new game might also be an issue. Maybe you can post them here. Or throw away default.sve and simworld.cfg in the Simutrans directory in the My Documents (or similar named) directory before starting Simutrans.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Arkamaic

Sweet, I just deleted the default.sve and the simworld.cfg files. Workin good now.

I had a bunch of weird settings I guess.

TRy to remember so if it helps:

Cities: 4 or 5
All Climates were from 5 - 7 (maybe that messed it up, too much for it??)
Year was 1975