News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Modern high level residential blocks

Started by Fabio, October 06, 2011, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

There is a significant lack of high level buildings, so downtown of the biggest cities are cluttered by the same few buildings.

I'm painted a set of high level residential blocks. Check this out:

The set has 450 objects from level 16 to level 60, in two rotations, snow images will be added soon.

There are 10 base layouts.
Each layout goes from 4 to 12 floors of 16 px.
For each number of floors there are 5 color schemes with progressive level.
4 floors --> levels 16 to 20
5 floors --> levels 21 to 25
6 floors --> levels 26 to 30
7 floors --> levels 31 to 35
8 floors --> levels 36 to 40
9 floors --> levels 41 to 45
10 floors --> levels 46 to 50
11 floors --> levels 51 to 55
12 floors --> levels 56 to 60

Here's a test pak: RES_TEST_20111006.zip (7.4 MB)

DOWNLOAD OF THE LATEST VERSION (December 22nd, 2011):

SOURCES:

res_20-21.zip (22 MB)
res_22-23.zip (18 MB)
res_24-25.zip (30 MB)
res_26-27.zip (30 MB)
res_28-29.zip (30 MB)
res_30-31.zip (30 MB)

PAKSETS:

res_pak_20-25.zip (23 MB)
res_pak_26-31.zip (24 MB)

Václav

They look splendid - and mostly those with flat roof. But I would like to suggest adding of more colour schemes - mostly some more bright ones.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Zeno

They look bit & beautiful!! That will help cities look like cities instead of big towns in advanced games. Thanks a lot for sharing them :)

PS: This deserves a new city in my current game in your honor, would you like it to be named "Fabio City" or "Gonella City"? ;D

greenling

fabio the building looks good out.Gives from your building the Png and dat´s too?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

sdog

Quote... the set has 450 objects ...
! oO

greenling

Make nothing.I have space on may Harddisk!
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

wlindley

Wow! Dare we hope for a pak128.Britain treatment of a few of those splendid buildings?

VS

Wow... ahh... painting slowly, now I see what you mean... painting all the time!

Assuming it's still a WIP, no complaints from me :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Here's the release of the project, including winter mode:

sources are split in 2 zips for hosting reasons.

blocks_111010_src_1.zip SOURCES PART 1 (18.4 MB)

blocks_111010_src_2.zip SOURCES PART 2 (16.0 MB)

blocks_111010_pak.zip TEST PAK (12.6 MB)

blocks_111010.xcf.bz2 GIMP SOURCES(12.2 MB)

greenling

Fabio your building looks good out.
Thanks.

Isaac_Clarke

Fabio, your pak is a gold mine :) I already use the building to embellish my cities and this makes them very nices. Thanks for your release and go on like this to feast us with yours creations.

Fabio

Here's a new screenshot, made after a complete redesign of the pak:

Now it counts about 540 buildings from level 25 to level 60, each in 8 rotations.

(The current .pak is 300MB)

More updates will follow...

On the right you can spot an office tower inspired by Chicago's AON Tower  8)

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

I know, I just don't know what to do about... These buildings need 8 rotations, in order to look nice on corners. They have 5 color scheme which will go with climates: white/brick red, white/green and white/blue for temperate, med, desert and jungle; brick red/green and brick red/blue for temperate, alpine and tundra. It's hard to reduce the number of images. I wish winter image could be a (smaller) front image leaving the back unchanged. Any advice? do you like the visual impact and the layout?

greenling

fabio
you have be make many new modeles that without your modelles pak128 be get broing!

Václav

Fabio: what you wrote about better face in corners is right - but is it needed everywhere? I am not sure with it. I would suggest choosing only few ones for all 8 rotations - but which, that is a question.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

sdog

you hand-painted 8 rotations + snow?

Different question, you hand-painted and copy-pasted 300 MB of gifs?

How did you fit half a lifetime required for such a task into a few months. You happen to have a time-machine! ;-)

Zeno

Quote from: fabio on November 04, 2011, 05:57:05 PM
The current .pak is 300MB
Uhm.... you *do* mean 300MB of sources... don't you?!?!
Otherwise, are there 30000 buildings in the pak or...?  :o

Fabio

A few quick answers, developed later... (Again smartphone isn't so writing friendly...)

300 MB: this is the compiled pak. It's 540 buildings in 8 rotations, so 540*8*2=8640 single images (half of which 2 tiles high).

Time: a few days,not too much. Imagemagick is awesome (and i spent half my time learning it and coding the scripts). Basically i paint a big gimp file with one floor per tile painted in 8 rotation. Buildings are modular, in 4 to 12 floor buildings i don't use more than 5 floor types and they are shared by different buildings. The layout is saved in excel. A first script cuts the tiles and applies the textures, a second one assembles the floors. Every time i have major changes in gimp i compile and test, the scripts run in 15+15 minutes to create all the sources. After that i makeobj them and test the pak.

Rotations: when buildings were full tile just 2 were needed. Now i shrank the depth from the curb to allow an inside block small courtyard and 8 rotations are needed.

What is the max size i'm allowed to?

wlindley

Fabio, Wow! ...The ImageMagick script approach sounds like an excellent way to build pak sets... I am still hoping to jump-start pak128.USA one of these days, but it's such a huge task, this could really cut that.

Although Blender is cool, it seems unsuited -- without much more automation than we have -- to making Simutrans buildings, all the magic colors and then having to use TileCutter... I would much prefer seeing factory complexes built from numerous stand-alone 1x1 components... which of course also should means lower memory footprint because those 1x1's can be reused within multiple rotations, or multiple versions (e.g., 1850s factory 1x1; 1880s factory = 1850 factory + new 1x1; 1920 factory = 1880 factory + 1x1 + 1x1 = 2x2; 1950 factory = 1920 factory + 5 more 1x1s = 3x3 factory)

Will you post some of your scripts?  As a Perl programmer from way back I would love to uber-automate things.

Fabio

Sure I'll post them. To be more precise, now I have a MS Excel workbook with the layouts and two macros reading the data and writing two  .bat files with the IM instructions. Then it runs the batches :-)

obviously you could convert it to perl, there is also an IM library.

sdog

imagemagick always astonished me for being so brilliantly good.

uber-automation +1
n hours spent for a script that saves n-m hours of work is time well invested (for n>m).

"learn to program or get programed yourself" -- Jörg Kantel

VS

There is no doubt to the quality of these buildings, but obviously you can generate more and more on a whim ;) I think it would be beneficial to see first how well the buildings compress, and base any limits on that. Pak128 is still less than 30 MB to download, so not going over 100 MB with the whole pakset is a good target for now :P

edit: After thinking about it and a bit of research, there are a few things that could be helped.

First, it seems that windows are same everywhere. That isn't exactly usual. But it does not hurt nowhere as much as #2.

Second, the colours are a bit... dunno. The "green" as you called that wouldn't exactly work for me, I'd replace that with something closer to yellow, maybe. It's hard to imagine who would ever want to use such colour on a house. And pak128 has been always a bit on the brighter side, if you consider esp. all the renders.

Third, these all create blocks, which is... good, except that they also really easily dwarf the other buildings that are supposed to be skyscrapers. Come on, for a city's skyline there will be the baseline, and then the few exceptional buildings that rise above that. Having all of these same height as the exceptional buildings is just wrong, they drown in them and look comical at best. Look at the green skyscraper or beige conical tower. Either the roofs of blockable houses stay down, or everything else needs replacing too. That isn't to say they need a lower pax level, that's ok at 60 too. Cities shouldn't get to final levels with skyscrapers licking each other :-/

I hope the last is understandable...

Fabio

(1)
Good news: I tested this morning to zip the pak file, and it compressed very well (about 26 MB)

So, as long as I stay within this boundary I can assume it's ok.

(2)
The concern with the height is understandable (too bad you didn't say it earlier ;))
I'll look through it reducing max height to 10 floor for most of them (and seeing how hard it can be to reduce the floor height from 16 to 14 pixels (in my scale, I assumed 16 px = 3 m and i dimensioned everything accordingly; 14 px would mean 1.70 m anyway, which is often used as a floor [internal] height for most of new RL housing)
I will test some more...

(3)
Unfortunately I cannot access the pic you linked, so I can't get what you mean about the windows.

(4)
Colors: beside the whites (which I made personally) I took the other textures from the latest PARTS_*.PNG available in pak128 documentation. I really like the brick red. The "greens" and the "blues" could be easily be replaced with better textures, I'll research into it, too...

VS

Compression: That's some very good news! I had a suspicion they will be well compressible :D I know I'm a bother, but could you try and see how it works, if you compress them unmerged?

Height: Yes, it took me too long to respond... sorry ::( Anyway, as you generate these, it should not be so much work... or not? (And the question sneakily implied a possibility to answer "so let's make skyscrapers, too" :P )

Colours: It's just the green that doesn't work, others are fine. Imho it has some poop-like quality that makes it quite natural, but ugly.

Windows: The picture just showed a city and every house had somewhat different windows. I can't access it any more, either. Anyway, forget that. I suppose changing that only now would be uneconomical.

Fabio

Quote from: VS on November 07, 2011, 08:44:41 AM
(And the question sneakily implied a possibility to answer "so let's make skyscrapers, too" :P )

Sure! If high level/highrise RES were thought  with a max height of 2 full tiles, COM skyscrapers were thought up to 3 tiles tall :D (see the three AON towers on the right of latest screenshot) Also supertalls are considered (4 tiles or more!!! but coded as attractions; I would also like some REAL supertall like Empire State Building, Chrysler, Chicago's SEARS tower, etc, coded as MON in order to have one and only one around a map...)

Quote from: VS on November 07, 2011, 08:44:41 AM
Colours: It's just the green that doesn't work, others are fine. Imho it has some poop-like quality that makes it quite natural, but ugly.

I'll try some other texture, do you have any to advise? ;)

Fabio

Here's a new screenshot with the blocks created with a max height of 140 px (10 floors of 14px each), whereas they previously had a max height of 192 px (12 floors of 16px each).

Although lower, they have the same pax level.

Double post: something changed!!!

VS

That's certainly better! Looking at this, however, it's clear that high buildings probably need some space around them, and that is currently impossible.

Fabio

Great, so i'll keep these proportions.

Quote from: VS on November 07, 2011, 01:08:32 PM
it's clear that high buildings probably need some space around them, and that is currently impossible.

It *IS* possible, if we code them as attractions or monuments

Also, for their "odd" shape, the green and the yellow towers would look much better if fewer instances were added to the map. What do you think?

prissi

Or some gardens with low enough chance as buildings in between.

Fabio

Fabio

New update with more color schemes and climates:

TEMPERATE

bird view of a big city:

TUNDRA/ROCKY

MEDITERRANEAN/DESERT/TROPIC

EDIT: added the bird view picture

greenling

Fabio
you have be make a very good work!

Fabio

New screenshots, with modified scheme colors and ground floors.

TEMPERATE:

TUNDRA/ROCKY:

MEDITERRANEAN/TROPICAL/DESERT:

stmaker

Awesome! When will there be a final release (just curious)?
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.