News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Welcome to SMF2 :-)

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, November 24, 2011, 11:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please report bugs and problems here or elsewhere :)

Ashley

Hm, new posts at the top? Madness :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ooh, lemme fix that.

EDIT: Okay, fixed. :whew:

IgorEliezer

YAY! The house is now nicer with new painting. :D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: IgorEliezer on November 24, 2011, 11:51:47 PM
YAY! The house is now nicer with new painting. :D

:D

We have to re-customize some things, though.

Also, I do have a backup of the database as it was before the transfer (though of course that's already out of date hehe)

IgorEliezer

O well, the karma thing is there.

Vonjo

Everyone,
Check your time offset setting.
Forum time is now Central Time (UTC-6).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: IgorEliezer on November 25, 2011, 04:42:39 AM
O well, the karma thing is there.

Didn't bother to shut it off, which we can most certainly do. It might be nice to vote up helpful people - especially now that we have the warning system for actual warnings.

I know, I know, changes without going through an approval process, but I hope it's okay for things that aren't important. Especially since they're easily removed. :)

Severous

May I ask why the forum changed?
Regards
Sev.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Severous on November 25, 2011, 07:38:24 AM
May I ask why the forum changed?

Yes, you may.

;-)

Okay, serious answer: We were running an outdated version of SMF 1.x. A lot of spambots were intelligent enough to register and post lots and lots of spam - it was a growing problem. Also, SMF 2.x has finally been out (for some months or so), so it was really time to upgrade anyway.

Thus, this was a forum upgrade - but we're still running SMF - and much of it on the backend hasn't changed much, although there are some new (nice, I think) features. Most of the new features can be turned off, but... I hope we like most of them. Some of them are definitely necessary, i.e. anti-spam things.

VS

Forwarding: VaclavMacurek complains about lack of translations...

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8625.0

You will also want to turn off notifications by default? Or...?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: VS on November 25, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
Forwarding: VaclavMacurek complains about lack of translations...

I'm currently doing a better than normal job of watching for unread messages (i.e. across all boards). The message made me curious to translate it since google does Czech... :) So actually, I already replied there. hehe.

I'm hoping he can provide more specific info of what's not working. I know he says basically email alerts - but he seems to say (via automated translation, which is always poor) that some things are already better?

Václav

Quote from: Vonjo on November 25, 2011, 04:58:32 AM
Forum time is now Central Time (UTC-6).
I am not sure that it is good that now forum time it is UTC-6. I think that original time was better. Really I am a little confused by UTC-6.

But else new face is quite good.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Fabio

You can change your time offest in your account settings, as I did immediately :)

rsdworker

wow that's new look - more better

Václav

... done. Time showed to me corrected.

Lmallet

Testing posting for Isaac.

EDIT:  Good, my permissions seem to be back.  All that just to say I like the two-toned messages.

jamespetts

I do like the autumn colours. This new forum software is rather lovely.

Edit: But, hmm - what has happened to the means for voting "helpful" or not?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

wonderful, buttons large enough to press them from a mobile device!

QuoteMost of the new features can be turned off, but... I hope we like most of them. Some of them are definitely necessary, i.e. anti-spam things.
Benevolent Dictator, what are some of those non-necessary new features you afraid there could be demands to turn them off? Can you give examples?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: jamespetts on November 25, 2011, 11:06:59 PM
Edit: But, hmm - what has happened to the means for voting "helpful" or not?

You should have that - I limited it somewhat. So it means I screwed it up. heh. About to leave for a party; will fix tomorrow. D'oh!

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on November 25, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
You will also want to turn off notifications by default? Or...?
I failed to figure out how to turn off notifications by default via Admin Center. So you might want to disable it in your profile. Check: Profile's side bar > Notifications > [ ] Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. Might it work.

EDIT:

It's possible to turn off notifications and such but "changing these will only affect new members and guests".

EDIT2:

BTW: I added two redirect links in the forum index: The Simutrans Blog and Wiki. By clicking on them, you'll be redirected to these sites from here. Nice? ;)

Václav

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 26, 2011, 12:54:45 AM
You should have that - I limited it somewhat. So it means I screwed it up. heh.
It is under number of posts. May it be. It gives sense.
You may know that one point of helpfulness you have from me - from yesterday's evening.

Spacethingy

Beautiful! Nice job, thanks guys, no probs as of yet....  :)

EDIT: Suddenly finding myself a native Albanian speaker was a little strange, but that was easily rectified!  ;D
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

TommPa9

What is wrong with attachments? It doesn't work under Firefox? Upload is OK, but download isn't working. It downloads only index.php. But it works properly in other browsers.

T0m4S

Quote from: TommPa9 on November 26, 2011, 11:06:20 AM
What is wrong with attachments? It doesn't work under Firefox? Upload is OK, but download isn't working. It downloads only index.php. But it works properly in other browsers.

Actually the file called index.php it's the right attachment type but you have to change the extension to match the one from the attachment, it's a weird behaviour...

MHD

I wonder how to give people the points for helpfulness...can someone give me a hint...?

vilvoh

Cool look! I like the new forum :-D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

Aha! Help ratings restored. Excellent. May I ask, for reference, what are the criteria for determining which members get them? Also, I just had to switch my language from Albanian to English, and use Google Translate to translate the Albanian administrative functions in order to do so...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Help ratings: I would like to encourage everyone to look for people making helpful posts, and clicking +1. That is, let us use it as a tool to reward people being helpful.

The -1 is there, yes, but I would encourage it to be basically ignored. If someone is breaking the rules, let moderation work - especially with the new moderation system we have. :)

Václav

So, if I understand right, after short while in the beginning of new face of forum, this is enabled only for admins.

May it be - but then this counter should be reset to zero - to it would be clear that all votes for helpfulness are from admins.

Fabio

No Vaclav, not necessarily. Every memberof the community can give a positive feedback to any other member (e.g. if they answered outstandingly to a question, if they released something you liked, etc...)
Only negative feedback is discouraged, as we try to keep the community as friendly as possible.

Václav

Quote from: fabio on November 29, 2011, 08:29:53 AM
No Vaclav, not necessarily. Every memberof the community can give a positive feedback to any other member
So, why I don't see possibility of giving points of helpfulness? Or every member has only limited votes?

Combuijs

Only Devotees and various teams (web, dev, mod) can modify Karma/helpfulness.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Fabio

Sorry, i stroked out my wrong reply...