News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Hmm - I haven't noticed any loading and saving other than when players join. As to trees - this would affect memory consumption more than anything, and only a small proportion of the server's available memory (around 17%) is currently used.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

I suppose with all the desyncing going on, that could have been what was causing it.

Junna

AP

jamespetts

Incidentally, some testing suggests that increasing additional_client_frames_behind in simuconf.tab to 3 or even 4 seems to reduce desyncs.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Don't know if anything changed overnight, but I had quite good performance/low lag last night with 2-3 clients connected, today, large lag in similar circumstances (30s between click and action occuring).

jamespetts

The lag may be due to network conditions - I haven't changed anything on the server itself, certainly. How are you doing for desyncs?

AP

Could be. Only one desync today so far. I have manually disconnected / reconnected to try to reduce lag (variable success).

Milko

Hello James

- delay in command executing -
The reduction in the number of frames per second set in the server allows to improve the response time to commands on the client?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Ahh, no: it makes the delay in executing (slightly) worse, but reduces the chance of desyncs.

AP

Right, I'm concluding I'm rubbish at Experimental, need more practice in private I think, having near bankrupt 3-companies!

ash1794

is this server down? cause i tried joinin and failed... "SERVER DID NOT RESPOND"..

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - it's not down for me...

Edit: Having checked, I think that my cron job for auto restarting the server has suddenly started working again!

Milko

Hello

So things are looking better, I can stay connected for about 10 minutes before a desync, even when we are connected in two or three.

We must still work on desync, but now you can play decently. Thanks James.  :)

Edit: now we are connected in 6 players!!!

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Giuseppe - yes: I am player 6! As for desyncs, you can reduce these by increasing your additional_client_frames_behind setting.

ӔO

james, when you have the time, I need to have roads fixed up between.
- Axemead, Catingfield
- Scarmead, Reinwich
- Reidwich
- Kingshampton
- Pointshore, Cheringfield
- Cheringfield, Workmere
- Mathorn (your sign is in the way)

thanks!

Colour safe chart:

Guvnor

I'm pretty sure the server's crashed.

jamespetts

Hmm, seems indeed to have crashed. Investigating...

jamespetts

The server is back now: the error that caused the crash was most peculiar, as was the fact that the way that I was able to get it working again worked (if any coding minded person is interested in helping to solve the mystery, a detailed explanation is available here).

Sorry for the outage!

Guvnor

James,

It crashed again.  I've attached a screen shot.  Notice the load bar behind.

Dave

jamespetts

Yes, I was online at the time - trying to track down the issue. It's back up again from an earlier saved game: sorry if anything has been lost.

jamespetts

Hmm - the quickstone error (discussed here) seems to be occurring too frequently to deal with effectively manually, so it will have to be fixed before we can go live again, I'm afraid. There's a workaround on my 10.x branch, but I don't have time to deploy to-night, so I'm afraid that AEO will have to take a brief break from world domination!

jamespetts

The server is now back online with 10.8, and is also now on the announce server - thank you everyone for your patience.

ӔO

is it just me, or does it seem like the save/load takes longer now?

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

dustNbone

Seems about the same to me.  I would think it would get progressively larger as the game progresses.  Overall it actually seems a touch more responsive to me. Could just be weekend network conditions but wondering if maybe the bug was causing the server to chug away on some endless task.  Anyway seems to be working fine.  Except my client just segfaulted during a map reload after someone connected.  :)

jamespetts

dustNbone

No I forgot to copy it out of the terminal before I restarted the client, then it was past the scrollback buffer.  I'll try to remember next time.

jamespetts

ӔO

okay, it's probably just my senses throwing me off.
so far, so good :)

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

I am noticing that it seems to take other clients longer to load: the time that I am paused after loading is longer than it was before, but the loading itself is not.

TurfIt

When I connected previously to browse around, I noticed it taking a very long time to save/reload (this was the older 10.7). I was barely finished the save/reload cycle before it unpaused when someone joined. Not a super fast machine but an old Core2 @3.3GHz that was pegged for the duration. Changing my local saveformat to zipped instead of bzip2 was a huge help. I suggest that those temporary saves done on all clients should be zipped rather than bzip2 (or even binary), but leave the server with bzip2 for faster transfer - ~50% difference in file size.

sdog

just a question, can the time-line time slowed down for a server? So that a year takes longer in real life time. However game time for vehicle movement stays the same. (eg ticks per month increases at the same rate).

jamespetts

TurfIt,

that's a very interesting idea that merits some consideration.

Sdog,

I am not quite sure what you mean here: I can change the ticks per month setting, but do you mean something different to this?