News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[feature] Routing graph for ware_t is directed!

Started by gerw, December 09, 2008, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerw

Arg, I found a feature ;D

Have a look at the image. Halt A only accepts passengers and halt B goods. The train has a wagon for passengers and one for steel. You can see that halt A have a steel connection to halt B but not vice versa. Other way round with passengers.

In my opinion, the reason for this is the following: If you have a halt that accepts both passengers and goods. When you remove your only station building (to replace it with a larger one) the halt will no longer accept passengers. When the halt now have no passenger connections to the next halts, all passengers will disappear. But this is not reasonable if the player only replace his station buildings.

Since I want to compute and save the connected components of the routing graph to save some time for computing the routes of goods, the graph has to be undirected.

My suggestion is: If a halt no longer accepts e.g. passengers, they will not dissapear immediately, but after a short time (maybe one real time minute). Is this reasonable?

Edit: Other suggestion by me: If the station building is removed, the halt will wait some time before he won't accepts passengers. So the player has some time to build a new station building.

And it's not realistic if you have a goods station with lots of passengers waiting...

prissi

The passenger will not disappear immediately but it will take some time, depending on the total number of stops. First will be connections recalculated, then the routes.

And what you have discovered is a feature that exists since the first days of Simutrans (mostly visible for mail those days). It could be changed, if required, then during route calculation traget station must accept good too.

gerw

Quote from: prissi on December 09, 2008, 09:25:49 PM
The passenger will not disappear immediately but it will take some time, depending on the total number of stops. First will be connections recalculated, then the routes.
Yes, of course, they will dissapear after 33 till 64 steps (~5 - 15 seconds).

QuoteAnd what you have discovered is a feature that exists since the first days of Simutrans (mostly visible for mail those days). It could be changed, if required, then during route calculation traget station must accept good too.
But these halt will never generate mail, does he?

So I will change this feature in order to have a undirected routing graph. But I plan to update the connections of stations immediatly and therefore the mail can dissapear already after one step. So I will first program the changes to the routing system and then we have to take a look, wether this observed feature is needed and how to include it.

prissi

I think, bidirectional connections only are ok, as long as we do not have unload only stations. I merely pointed out, that this feature existed a long time ago (and then those stations were producing mail but not accepting them ... )