News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

Yes, I am -- the announcement post still does not have 64-bit Linux binaries.  Or can I find that somewhere?

ӔO

there seems to be more crashes in 1959. The only thing different, that I've noticed, is the new power plant.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

jamespetts

I am very sorry about the Linux problems - for some reason, the automatic Linux builds refuse to compile for version 10.10, although I can compile the server build without difficulty on my server. If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, I should be most grateful. I can post the error messages if that would help.

DustNbone - would you mind if I linked to your version on the official release thread?

AEO - can you elaborate on the nature of these crashes - are they preceded by the odd behaviour suggestive of memory corruption discussed above?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

the crashes seem to come most at the beginning of the month.
that particular one in 1959 caused a lot of convoys to get stuck.

I've also noticed that one ship, when replaced, was sitting in the depot with something like 20 copies of its line in the schedule list right before the crash. It was like "stop A, stop B, stop A, Stop A...".

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm. Looks like memory corruption in collection classes again.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

dustNbone

Yeah I don't mind, should I keep it on dropbox or will you put a copy somewhere else and link to that?

ӔO

server seems to lag or even crash when replacing electrification en masse
same deal with removing tram tracks en masse.

Colour safe chart:

Milko

Quote from: wlindley on February 28, 2012, 05:15:57 PM
Yes, I am -- the announcement post still does not have 64-bit Linux binaries.  Or can I find that somewhere?

The server and the client versions must be the same. Using different versions increases the disconnection because the code that runs on the server is different from the code that runs on the client and the results of the calculations are so different. I think you have to build the repository "master" from github to use online games...

Could this be the reason?

Giuseppe

wlindley

I did a 'git checkout master' 'git pull' and 'make -j3' ... with that binary I can now connect, wait about two minutes for initialization, and play for a couple seconds before everything freezes.  No errors, just a freeze.   At least I have been able to replace some of my circa 1870s  horse-and-carriage with a bus, but at this pace I will never be able to upgrade the rail lines.

jamespetts

dustNbone - that is very kind. I will take a copy, if you don't mind.

AEO - noted: I'm not sure what might be causing that.

Wlindley - may I ask what the significance of "-j3" is? The server version is built without this switch.

wlindley

j3 just means to compile up to three modules at once.  Dependencies are still respected.  The same thing happens without that switch.

jamespetts

Interesting. What version of GCC are you using, and from which branch are you pulling?

Junna

Desyncs and crashes are near constant making it frustratingly unplayable. I bet it's the city cars.

Changing electrification also seems to contribute.

dustNbone

Yeah I've noticed even in single player the city cars seem to just brutalize the CPU starting around the mid 60s.  Is it simulating their trips or just animating them?

jamespetts

Hmm, I have also noticed issues with desyncs (at the beginning of the month mostly, but also at other times) and some crashes. Not entirely sure why at present, as have not had time to investigate. A problem is that there are known memory corruption issues which should be fixed when I am able to merge all the latest changes from Standard 111.2.1, on which I have been working. Until I do that, it will be hard to tell which issues are and which issues are not related to this problem.

As to the private cars, their trips are simulated, but in a rather abstract way, and the private car graphics are not themselves simulating car trips, but just wandering around more or less aimlessly in numbers directly proportionate to the number of actual private car trips.

Edit: Incidentally, if anyone would like to help to track down this issue, I should be very grateful if anyone could run the current server game with profiling enabled to see which parts of the code are currently the most CPU intensive.

ӔO

server seems to have crashed from
minivec_tpl<T>::resize()
new size 256 too large
(>255).

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Apologies for not having got to this before - I had been preoccupied with trying to deal with the pesky iterator issues in the merge version. I have now found and fixed the cause of this crash in the 10.x branch - would anyone care to test whether this fix causes unintended anomalies?

Thank you everyone for your patience!

dustNbone

I built and ran the latest save I had locally from the server game, October 1977 game time and ran it for about 2 years and it seems fine.  Saved and reloaded a few times, it still won't let us have more than 10.7 billion or so but that's enough money I guess.  It would be nice if it would at least rollover to 0 maybe at that point (maybe as an option).  Maybe not realistic but at least you can keep progressing.

Oh and here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38204997/simutrans/stexp10xmar9x64 is a link to my x64 Linux build if anyone needs it.

jamespetts

The 10.7 billion issue, I suspect, is indirectly caused by the negative interest bug, which I have now fixed in 10.x. It's rather difficult to test, as it requires the game to run for a rather long time in the right conditions, however.

jamespetts

Apologies for the recent downtime - this is now running again with the latest 10.11 release. In view of the problems discussed here, I have enabled assume_everywhere_connected_by_road, so there will be much more private car competition to and from all cities than there was hitherto (when the road connexion databases were, due to a bug, no updated after they were first created).

Thank you all for your patience, and happy playing!

rsdworker

i tried to get on but problem is simtrans hangs up when loading the server - its seems something wrong?

i updated the simtrans exp to 10.11

jamespetts

Hmm - I can't reproduce this. It does take a fair while to download the game, but it is rather large.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on March 25, 2012, 07:04:58 PM
Hmm - I can't reproduce this. It does take a fair while to download the game, but it is rather large.
before that update - its didn't take long time to load world

jamespetts

Hmm. It does seem to take a little longer, although it's not clear why at present. However, it does eventually load.

rsdworker

ӔO

I was dropped the first time I connected, but it seems to work now.
I think the general slowness is caused by the lack of processor power on the server side, because if I load the game as a local copy on my computer, it becomes very unresponsive as well.

Colour safe chart:

rsdworker

Quote from: ӔO on March 25, 2012, 09:28:31 PM
I was dropped the first time I connected, but it seems to work now.
I think the general slowness is caused by the lack of processor power on the server side, because if I load the game as a local copy on my computer, it becomes very unresponsive as well.
- that's what i thought when i tried to login to server - its was very slow well

ӔO

private cars are spawning where they shouldn't.

for instance: PEX Catingfield station

Colour safe chart:

rsdworker

Quote from: ӔO on March 25, 2012, 09:48:34 PM
private cars are spawning where they shouldn't.

for instance: PEX Catingfield station
that's true - i saw alot of traffic and its was very slow

jamespetts

AEO - can you repost that as a bug report? It's not really specific to the server. Thank you for reporting it, though.

ӔO

There seems to be some instability upon quitting the game. Sometimes it reverts to an older save and other times it works fine.

public cars are piling up in the diagonals and this sometimes causes grade crossings to jam. some designs are worse than others. Addham seems to be particularly bad.

The input delay on the client end might be caused by the client lagging behind the server. For me, this is a gradual build up. I've noticed that when logging on with a second computer, both underpowered, there was always a delay for the computer that's been logged on. The computer that just logged on will be paused with the server, waiting for the other client to catch up.

Electricity works great now.It just needs to be connected to cities :D

Colour safe chart:

Vonjo

I think 18 MB to download this network game is really too big.

ӔO

once the game loads, you have to wait for your computer to catchup to the server. How fast that happens seems to be related to how fast your computer is.

You can give a lot of command inputs while the game is paused and they'll either all go through, or you'll be desynced.

Waiting times for sync are quite long.
Unloading the map or quitting the game after the server game is loaded also takes a ton of time.

For my computer, which is Core 2 duo 1.86ghz and 2GB ram, the waiting time is anywhere between 20 and 40mins.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm, that's rather a long time. The difference in performance seems to have occurred after the update to 10.11. The only thing that I can think of is that it is the number of private cars, which would have increased as a result of setting assume_everywhere_connected_by_road=1. I shall have to perform some tests if I have time to see whether this is indeed the problem, and shall have to consider, if it is, what to do about it, and, potentially, how to reduce the amount of memory taken by each private car.