News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

PigeonPack: It's finally back!

Started by passengerpigeon, August 18, 2017, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passengerpigeon

Introducing PigeonPack, the complete game expansion pack for Pak64!

PigeonPack is a set of vehicles and infrastructure pieces created with the goal of improving the Pak64 experience, by introducing features only found by default in 128-pixel paksets, and filling important gaps in the default vehicle library. This early release focuses mostly on infrastructure, early electric trains, multiple units, trams and carriages, as these categories are the most lacking in the default game, but future releases plan to cover all aspects of the Simutrans vehicle library as well as buildings, industries and tourist attractions. With PigeonPack, it is now possible to build electric tramways starting in 1888, electrify track with third rails, separate high and low-speed rail traffic with minimum speed signs, service cities with overhead railways, carry mail in trams and multiple-unit trains and choose the right train, bus or boat for the job with a wider selection of vehicles. I also plan to improve the appearance of some current sprites and fix a few niggling issues in the shorter term. Please feel free to post any praise or constructive criticism in this thread.

Additional credits go to:
•The artists of Pak64 default (several images or parts thereof were reused in a modified format)
•Tenuki-Sharyo and Fabio Gonella (images used as templates for alignment)
•An_dz (Help with datafiles)

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1diA8k4sbU9Sfo-_dHyswpifclHlaeIoy/view?usp=sharing

Here are some examples of game scenes created using PigeonPack:

This forward-thinking metropolis already has an electric tramway in 1888, as well as an overhead railway.

Meanwhile, out in the countryside, a steam railcar prepares to pass an oncoming train at a small-town train station, whilst a riverboat loads up with passengers and mail at the quay.

A bustling urban station in the mid-1960s, serving a fast intercity line, a regional railway and a subway line.

This early-2010s tropical town may be bypassed by the new high-speed trains, but residents are well-served by intercity coach services and an interurban tramway.

passengerpigeon

I have taken a long hiatus from Simutrans, but I am back now and working on this pack again. After losing tons of money on my main game world with the high-speed Tiger-series trains, despite running them full over long distances on completely segregated high-speed railways, I am creating a new high-speed train that is better balanced. The next release will feature this as well as a few other vehicles.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: passengerpigeon on June 16, 2018, 02:11:24 AMI have taken a long hiatus from Simutrans, but I am back now and working on this pack again.
Welcome back. :)

passengerpigeon

I will aim to release the new version of my pack tomorrow, containing a (hopeful) fix for a carriage alignment bug and a few new vehicles, one of which is attached here. The download link on the first post will be updated once it is out.

My aim for this pak is to create a "one-stop-shop" extension for people who like the gameplay, graphics and/or balance of Pak64 but want the variety and functionality of Pak128. The third rail and old overhead lines currently implemented are a step in that direction, and subsequent releases will add trolleybuses, additional platforms and station buildings, elevated track, and a whole fleet of new vehicles. Post-1930s multiple units and road vehicles are the next priority on that front, with locomotives and airplanes planned for later.

passengerpigeon

This addon has been updated; see the first post for details.

captain crunch

It looks very nice, but how can I install and use it?
Is this an addon to pak64 or a pakset?
It seems to be a pakset as it comes within its own folder, but it has no config subdirectory.
Please send help.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: captain crunch on August 26, 2019, 08:56:59 AM
It looks very nice, but how can I install and use it?
Is this an addon to pak64 or a pakset?
It seems to be a pakset as it comes within its own folder, but it has no config subdirectory.
Please send help.

It is an addon to Pak64; you take the pakfiles out of the folder and paste them into either the "pak" folder in your Simutrans directory in the applications folder (easiest), or the "pak" folder within the "addons" folder in the Simutrans directory in your Library (recommended); you may need to create the addon and pak folders yourself with the latter option. Unfortunately, I have a Mac, so things might be different for Windows, but I'm sure there are other guides on how to install addons.

captain crunch

QuoteIt is an addon to Pak64
Thank you for your help! It now works and is looking good so far.