News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Change of skin?

Started by Matthew, April 03, 2022, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

When I visited the forum today, I was logged out and the forum has a different skin. Is this a routine update?

EDIT: Oooh and I can see signatures again.

But non-ASCII characters no longer work....?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Roboron

I wonder how this happened since Isaac has been inactive for a while now. Can such a big update be automatic...?

It seems like it has reset my notification settings - I'm not receiving e-mail when a new reply is posted on a thread I was previously watching. This can be very problematic for people who rely on this for receiving updates on a topic

Vladki

Isaac is usually running stuff on Ubuntu. Maybe he got automatic updates to 22.04 lts (beta)

prissi

Somebody updated the forum this weekend according to the logs.

jamespetts

Yes, we now seem to be running the new SMF version. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost the Simutrans custom theme.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

On further investigation, it seems that Isaac has been in hospital in the last few weeks. He may have just had to run a quick update without being able to set everything up perfectly.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

prissi

We also lost the simutrans image captcha (which station has a train ... ) for new users so I switched to normal captcha for now.

prissi

The theme is there, but it works no longer. SMF 2.1 changed too much. An_dz did the old theme. But I could not easily spot the differences.

EDIT: I just added the simutrans icons to the blue flatline theme to have a little distinct look.

IgorEliezer

Oooooh beautiful. I like the new them. :)

EDIT: As said, I also see the forum is not supporting non-ASCII fonts. Probably it's going to a major issue for sections like Chinese, Czech and Russian.

prissi

I think whoever did the update had converted the UFT8 database again into UTF-8. I cannot check this, since none of the logins in the admin section is working, they all point to updated servers of non existing logins. So I cannot download the raw database. However, if this what was happened, then one would run the database again through a converter and reimport.

There might be also the case that one just needs to run this query again:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme for each user, but that should have been done in the past. Again, I cannot check user entries, since I have also no myphpadmin access.

EDIT: However, new posts wie Umlaute and japanese together work,, so I think someone messed up the main database.

Vladki

Oh yes, the czech section looks like it was converted from iso-8859-* to utf8 twice...

prissi

I think the database is mangled with UTF8 and no UTF8 beyond recognition. There is nothing I can do about it anz more.

PJMack

UTF-8 and ISO-8859-* is usually distinguishable as UTF-8 has byte sequences not often found when non-English text are encoded using ISO-8859-* and Non-English text encoded in ISO-8859-* would likely have byte sequences that are invalid to UTF-8 decoders.  For example the English-French word Resume (With the accents) encoded in ISO-8859-1 would be 52E973756DE9 but the second an third bytes E973 are an invalid sequence for UTF-8.  The Wikipedia article on UTF-8 gives a better explanation to this and gives the details of the encoding. 

Fortunately there are several already written utilities for character decoding detection so it should not be too difficult to find the right one for the database.  If the database has multiple encodings within the same file, that could become a pain though.

prissi

Thank you, I do programming since before UTF-8 was used in any system, actually implemented UTF-8 support in SImutrans in 2004. ;)

The database has been restored to UTF-8, when opening in an editor. However, the most entries are still converted into ISO, so there must be a flag somewhere to ignore UTF-8 per entry.

See for instance message 132627: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,10538.msg132627.html#msg132627
and in the database it is utf8

prissi

OK, after some sweaty operations on the open datatable with several crashes of notepad++ handling 149 MB of database dump, I could reconstruct the database to UTF-8 for all posts as well as change the internal communication with the database server to UTF-8 which was (for unknown reasons) in Swedish?!?

This has cost me certainly several more grey hairs.

Roboron

Thank you. I like the function for changing the forum primary colour.

But my interface seems to be half spanish, half english .-.

isidoro

Quote from: prissi on April 13, 2022, 05:03:04 AM[...]
This has cost me certainly several more grey hairs.

Lucky you that have some stock to be converted... ;)

Vladki

Thank you very much Prissi, for the encoding fix.
Unfortunately, user profiles are also messed up.
E.g. look at TommPa9

Yona-TYT

Quote from: isidoro on April 13, 2022, 10:10:09 PMLucky you that have some stock to be converted... ;)

I still don't get the first gray hair hehehehehe 😅

prissi

I need to convert one by one tables by hand, sicne the database is too large for automatic. I will look into the profiles.

prissi

Members are also converted. This hopefully concluded my work.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: prissi on April 15, 2022, 02:00:08 AMMembers are also converted. This hopefully concluded my work.
I congratulate you for your admirable work!

Unfortunately the new theme doesn't adapt very well to mobile devices I'm afraid.

This is where An_dz used to do his magic. 😔

Vladki

Thanks prissi.

I think the forum looks good on mobile phone

PJMack

I noticed that warnings for concurrent posts are not working as they used to.  I missed a warning for one post, and when I was writing a reply, the warning only showed up once.  Hitting preview made the warning disappear and I was also unable to view the other person's post before submitting my own.

prissi

I think this is entirely down to the software, as SMF 2.1 is ratehr a major release taking 11 years development than just a tiny update. (Themes not working is a clear indication of that.) You would need to complain to SMF directly.

Yona-TYT

Email notifications have since stopped working.

jamespetts

Quote from: Yona-TYT on April 20, 2022, 11:30:40 AMEmail notifications have since stopped working.
I had an e-mail notification about this post, so I do not think that that is right; however, you may need to change your settings about e-mail notifications, as some of these seem to have been reset.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: jamespetts on April 20, 2022, 04:24:48 PMI had an e-mail notification about this post, so I do not think that that is right; however, you may need to change your settings about e-mail notifications, as some of these seem to have been reset.

You're right I apologize, it seems that the email notification settings have been restored. :-[

Ranran(retired)

The thanks button seems to be gone. But it was completely broken at some point...
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Yona-TYT

In the recent posts Board and Date information no longer appears, this when it is opened from the mobile device.

Ranran(retired)

I thought the Thanks button and Thanks point display were obsolete in the new skin, but recently I noticed that James is using the Thanks button. But I can't see such a button. Also, I don't see any other users using it. Is this button limited to admin?
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Roboron

Admins want thanks only for themselves...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'd noticed that I could enable "thanks" in the forum admin (options/setup). Had no clue it was only admins. d'oh.

That makes it sound like it might have a permission, so I'll check that out and see if I can expand access to it.

Quote from: Roboron on May 27, 2022, 03:33:23 PMAdmins want thanks only for themselves...

Technically, it would be that admins only want to *give* thanks. hehehe

edit: Ah, there was a setting for membergroups allowed to use it - I've allowed all.