News:

Beta test the new forum at https://simutrans.forum/
Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

City road layout in pak128.german

Started by Donald C., September 13, 2023, 06:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald C.

You can see the difference by looking at the screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13YC1jwnzdJ24pyV6jJgcwVx63QiekVVE?usp=sharing

I don't know why are city roads spawned differently in pak128.german. It spawns a large amount of 2x2 loops joining together (as circled in simscr03.png). Is there a way to make them spawn normally like in pak128?

I'm using the Steam version of the game and I can see that there are a lot more cityrules files in cofig of pak128.german that other paksets, but even after moving those files away, the cities still spawn in the same way (even if I start a new map).

prissi

The cityrules are saved with the game. Deleting the rules will not spawn new roads at all. You can replace them with the ones from pak64.german for instance. A new game will then feature the new rules.

The double road rules of pak128.german is indeed not for everyones liking.

makie

https://pak128-german.de/inc/spieltipps.html.en
Quote Two lane roads?
At the start of the game and during normal city growth, two-lane roads have been built since version 1.2. These could be boulevards or highways. Unfortunately, these streets are a bit random and are not planned by any city planner. In addition, if there are to be motorways, some reworking is necessary. The cross connections that Simutrans automatically builds must be deleted again and the traffic signs set up accordingly. For me, two-lane trams were the reason to change the configuration file cityrules.tab so that two-lane streets are created. I no longer wanted to tear down rows and rows of houses and weaken the city. Other players start with very small cities and specify the road grid and the two-lane traffic routes from the start. Each player has a different approach.
Since the highways are a matter of taste, some like them, others don't. There are two versions of the cityrules.tab in the config folder.
cityrules_VS1.2_mit_Autobahn.tab
cityrules_VS1.2_ohne_Autobahn.tab
As the name suggests: with(mit) or without(ohne) highways. By renaming or copying to cityrules.tab you can choose whether two-lane roads are to be built.
don´t delete the cityrules files
rename the cityrules_*xxxxx*.tab to "cityrules.tab"

Donald C.

Quote from: prissi on September 13, 2023, 12:04:18 PMThe cityrules are saved with the game. Deleting the rules will not spawn new roads at all. You can replace them with the ones from pak64.german for instance. A new game will then feature the new rules.

The double road rules of pak128.german is indeed not for everyones liking.

What I don't like is that the parallel roads are connected at every single tile that they form a lot of loops. Is there a way to make the roads only generate in one direction (like in a real highway)? I don't really think so as the city roads tend to generate tile by tile (I think) and they're connected to each other wherever possible.

Andarix

You can write a script tool that removes these connections. Removing such connections probably doesn't cost anything.

Donald C.

Quote from: Andarix on September 14, 2023, 09:28:57 AMYou can write a script tool that removes these connections. Removing such connections probably doesn't cost anything.

Ah, but I'm not into scripting.