News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Ignore weight limit for tile under shipyard

Started by wlindley, January 09, 2012, 12:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

Starting a new game of Pak128.Britain in 1830, I have a city where a river (weight limit 1000t) flows into a bay.  However, I must build two shipyards there because

• Canal boats cannot travel one square from a shipyard built on the bay, into the canal (Must Use: Waterway)
  • Ships can be built in, but cannot leave, a shipyard built on a canal tile built next to the river (Canal weight limit, 80t)
  • There does not happen to be a "dead end" 1000t-limit river square near the city where I could build a shipyard for both
Yes I could switch to Public Player and build one river square, but would it not make sense to ignore (or internally override) the weight-limit for shipyard and depot tiles?

wlindley

Perhaps I should move this to Extension Requests?  A shipyard on a canal tile should either:

• Refuse to build ships which cannot move out of the shipyard (what's the point of building them?) or
  • Since shipyards on a canal must be on a dead-end tile, automatically "teleport" any ship that cannot move over the shipyard's underlying tile, to that adjacent tile -- assuming that tile satisfies the ship's way restrictions.
Otherwise, it is pretty well impossible to build shipyards for large ships in the middle of long large rivers.

jamespetts

Hmm - I had not realised that I had not responded to your original post on this topic. Is the solution perhaps to build ships on a shipyard on the coast? Is this not how things were done in reality? We do now have ship canals for allowing things to be built inland.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

Ah, OK, yes everything does work now that we can build Ship Canals.  The only shortcoming is that you can't build a large ships in a shipyard next to a "Large River (Navigable)" but instead need two shipyards -- one on the river, one in the coast -- if you want to build river boats and ships too.  No fix needed.