News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Rivers for pak128

Started by Fabio, January 28, 2009, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

Quote from: fabio on January 27, 2009, 03:30:46 PM
Rivers for PAK 128 are READY!!!

They are new channel named river.
ATM i disabled the icon, so that they are used only when you generate a new map (ver. 101.1-2266 28/01/09 or newer); yet with no icon the player can't build his own river, but only canals. If possible, it would be nice to have its icon for Public Services, as it happens with cityroads.
Max speed and max weight are trivial and can be adjusted.

Here are the sources:
[ obsolete - removed ]

sojo

Quote from: fabio on January 28, 2009, 10:43:39 AM
yet with no icon the player can't build his own river, but only canals.
At the moment, there is a problem. If you delete the crossing, the first remove is for the river. So you can not build the river, only a channel.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Roads

Looking great!  Many thanks to all who are working on it.  If possible, it would be good if the names were posted.  They deserve recognition!

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

whoami-test

Quote from: sojo on January 28, 2009, 10:57:27 AM
If you delete the crossing, the first remove is for the river.
I assume that this needs to be changed in the program. Would you mind opening a bug report, or do you want this post to be moved there? Canals+rivers should be removed last, due to their high cost, and the low probability of an alternative route.

Actually, IMO rivers shouldn't be deletable tile by tile in their middle, because the water needs to flow somewhere.

EDIT: stupid me used the wrong account.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: whoami-test on January 28, 2009, 06:00:58 PMActually, IMO rivers shouldn't be deletable tile by tile in their middle, because the water needs to flow somewhere.

I think rivers could be deletable tile by tile in their middle only if you have build an alternative way for its course first. Also, if a river crosses a city, you will want to "change" the river course.

EDIT: topic name changed... and, seems we have a problem: the discussion about river development has split up into 3 topics... :(

Please, keep the discussion here on graphic approach.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: IgorTekton on January 28, 2009, 06:33:19 PM
the discussion about river development has split up into 3 topics... :(

And that's only here... some of it is duplicated in the German forum as well... talk about keeping track of this whole topic  ???

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Since it's now possible to have multiple types of river for different sizes, could you please try to make some more? :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Sure, i will! but please tell me how should i code them in dats (i need te test them!!!)

sojo

At simuconf.tab:

river_type[x]=name

x=0...9 the highest is the smallest river. Will be 2 river to 1 so will be used the next x. And so one.

For rivers is max speed 0.

This has prissi written in the german forum. I hope I have it translated corectly.

Edit: My english is bad :(
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

wernieman

Or look at the PAK64 SVN. I think prissy code some river....

Or if you have some grafik, I could look of I could write the dat and pak it for you ...

@sojo:
My english is baaaaaaad tooooooooo  >:(
I hope you understand my English

Fabio

Quote from: wernieman on January 30, 2009, 10:30:31 AM
Or look at the PAK64 SVN. I think prissy code some river....

I have access only to pak 128 svn... can you provide me with a .dat file?

vilvoh

The SVN is public... you can access to it through Simutrans SF.net website: http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Fabio

stupid me, i just realised this now...

anyway, thanks!!!

whoami

Quote from: sojo on January 30, 2009, 09:43:30 AM
For rivers is max speed 0.
Apparently, this is not required (pak64 waterways.dat), but by this, a river can be coded to be unusable by ships.

VS

Well, the way you made the first river was just what it needed. Now there is possibility to have more types, so it might be good to have more of them with varying sizes. The only requirements  for "rivers" (and not really enforced) are:
1) water waytype obviously
2) player can't build (probably better)
3) added in simuconf.tab as a river

I updated 128 to match this specification and added your river. If you update your wc (working copy of svn), it should be there... also check out the pak64 repo, as suggested, it uses two river sizes.

One thing that I wanted to tell you about your first river was, the end (start?) tile does not have to be covered completely with sand or what it is. Oh and one more. It is straight, straight, straight... Natural foramtions are all but that. For the largest river size it is fine, but smaller ones should have a bit more jagged edges, so that they don't look as abandoned canals.

Fabio

thank you for your suggestion, i started working exactly the way you told me now...
i hope i'll manage to finish it next week (i'm a bit caught these days, but i'm working on it)

VS

Don't hurry, I prefer quality. Take as long as you need :)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on January 30, 2009, 05:55:05 PM
2) player can't build (probably better)

If a river crosses through a city and I want to change its course. How could I do it? ;D

VS

As a public service... Frank enabled their icons and made them special item (system_type=255) and I just now changed menuconf to show them in editor toolbar for PA.

wernieman

I don't want to make you angry but ....

Have you the river next week?
I hope you understand my English

hApo

Rivers...
And what about the lakes or waterfalls?

Fabio

The work is almost done, i want to test them better.

Lighter water is for streams (not navigable), darker (= canals and sea) for navigable rivers.

TODO list:
- some ice for winter images
- some shadows
- small details at stream source (maybe also in rapids?)

gerw

VS

Excellent!

/jumps on bandwagon

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jamespetts

I love the streams! Very nice. Any possibility of slightly reducing the contrast between streams and rivers to produce a smoother transition?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ashley

Suggestion - Add white water/flowing animation (not sure if this is possible for ways nowadays) for the slope bits.

Otherwise this looks very nice :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

VS

Oh, one idea (perhaps for after this is done) - it might be possible to add some stuff in turns where is enough empty space. Like reed or such... putting that on straight sections is not good because of repetitions. But that is just cherry on top :) For now, thee streams absolutely rock as they are.

Fabio

Thank you all, guys!

Quote from: jamespetts on February 09, 2009, 02:51:20 PM
Any possibility of slightly reducing the contrast between streams and rivers to produce a smoother transition?
I could, painting the streams lighter than rivers - yet LESS light than they are now

Quote from: Timothy on February 09, 2009, 02:55:59 PM
Suggestion - Add white water/flowing animation (not sure if this is possible for ways nowadays) for the slope bits.
I would put animations for ALL, if it were possible...

Quote from: VS on February 09, 2009, 03:00:36 PM
it might be possible to add some stuff in turns where is enough empty space. Like reed or such...
I'll look into something like this...

Fabio

There are 5 types of river: 2 streams and 3 navigable rivers.
I fixed the winter images and the source.
I smoothed the colour difference between streams and rivers and i smoothed the edges of rivers' intersections.
I didn't add reeds or bushes as intended: i wasn't pleased with the outcome.

Here are the sources:
river_2_0_src.zip

and here the paks to test:
river_2_0_pak.zip NEW

Some screenshots:

Christiansen

Not Found

The requested URL /public/simutrans/way.river.pak was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8b DAV/2 PHP/5.1.2 Server at gonella.eu Port 80

this write

Fabio