News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

r5830 new landscape (binary and source versions)

Started by kierongreen, July 19, 2012, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

Ok, it's still not appearing but I've managed to find the picture. I've tried reproducing the situation in the screenshot but I can't get it to crash - could you provide a saved game which this occurs in please?

Yona-TYT

here this  the starting http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pqr8d8nol3hox5h
for playback,  cover the ground with water
in this manner

kierongreen

Many thanks Yona-TYT, bug was crash when setting water climate next to map edge. Will be fixed in next release :) Still working on another couple of bugs then will release new version.

Yona-TYT

:) ok

kierongreen

Here's another update to latest trunk version (6161), also fixing the following bugs:
Bridge construction ending on single height tile with existing way was broken.
Bridge save/load over water.
Factories with location land, climate water were never built - now built if a tile is next to water.
Setting climate to water at edge of map crashed game.

Source files - the patch, along with all dats, pngs and simutrans config files necessary to make the updated files for pak128.Britain
Binary files for pak128.Britain - copy over an existing install to use one of the executables below
Windows executable - simutrans and makeobj, copy over an existing install of simutrans
Linux executable - simutrans and makeobj, copy over an existing install of simutrans

Use latest versions of simutrans and pak128.Britain as a base to copy these files over.

Notes:
As always, forwards and backwards compatibility with other versions are not guaranteed. If you get a crash on startup check that you've deleted any settings.xml or default.sve file lurking around in your personal directory.
makeobj isn't entirely up to date in binaries as it's not compiling for me at the moment, however this shouldn't be a huge issue.

Please let me know if you encounter more bugs :)

Andyh

Hi kierongreen,

Don't know if this is a bug or not (might just be a backward compatibility issue) but I loaded a map using your latest new landscape binary that I had made with the previous version of the binary, and it crashed with the following error message:

loadsave_t::rdwr_str() string (2252652) longer than allowed size (6771884)

I can create new maps (and save and re-load them) without problems.

If it's not a bug is there anything you can recommend to hack the file to enable it to be opened using the latest binary?

kierongreen

Unfortunately not. There have been changes the save format in trunk which means that savegames made with older versions of the patch will not be compatible. To load these you would have to hack the load routines so that simutrans thought the game was new in terms of having new landscapes but old in terms of trunk changes. My priority is for standard saves to load over those from previous new landscape test releases so this incompatibility is to be expected (and I try to warn of it being likely).

The Hood

I've finally got round to downloading this and having a play. Great work! One thing I miss is the ability for half height bridge ramps - I can understand not allowing half height bridges but it seems odd not to be able to build ramps sloping up at half height e.g. onto elevated ways for flyovers etc. How hard would this be to add in?

VS

Finally got to testing this. And it's great! The beachheads are just... \o/

Anyway, two things:
1) I guess terraforming is (currently) meant to destroy climates?
2) Trains driving through bridges - see attached screenshot.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

kierongreen

Yes changing height is designed to reset climates on affected tiles. Will need to look at bridge issue after the weekend when I am back at a computer. I suspect wrong height bridge graphics may be the cause. Tunnels can have single and double heights in them so it would be possible to have a more flexible elevated ways which could be freely adjusted rather than only following the landscape. This would be a more general extension request though, and would need new graphics also.

The Hood

Quote from: kierongreen on January 02, 2013, 06:07:42 PM
Tunnels can have single and double heights in them so it would be possible to have a more flexible elevated ways which could be freely adjusted rather than only following the landscape. This would be a more general extension request though, and would need new graphics also.
That sounds great - which is why I'm concerned it would never happen :( - I'd do graphics for pak128.Britain at any rate.

kierongreen

The problem is the amount of graphics required - 64 images (or two lots of 8 )  for the base of pillars which have to seemlessly merge into 23 elevated track images (hence you might need several lots of 64), plus various combinations of 0->1->2 height slopes. All in all potentially many hundred images, for each type of elevated track. Unless there is an easy way to crop images in simutrans I can't think how this could realistically be achieved :(

VS

That might be easier implemented as cutting pillars in two, the "always" and "extended bottom" part... More or less like bridges with zero and one height pillars, perhaps...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Incidentally, are there river graphics for the shallower slopes yet...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Just an updated patch to latest svn version (no binaries as no real changes). I'm going to be busy moving the next few weeks so next update might not be for a while...

prissi

Good luck with it, I am still struggling with the outcome of my recent move ...

Markohs

how much time do you estimate will happen till we incorporate this into trunk? I'd like to take this code into account because it's a bit related to my world limits not limited to water level project.

I'd also like to rename ist_in_gittergrenzen and ist_in_kartengrenzen to is_in_grid_limits and is_in_map_limits . I know it might sound an unnecessary change for german coders, but for non-german makes code quite cryptic.

Dwachs

No estimate. After the next bug-free release :P

Renaming: full support.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Dwachs

kierongreen

Here's another update to latest trunk version (6428), making this work with the new map edges:

Source files - the patch, along with all changed dats and pngs and simutrans config files necessary to make the updated files for pak128.Britain when copied over the standard sources.
Binary files for pak128.Britain - copy over an existing install to use one of the executables below
Windows executable - simutrans and makeobj, copy over an existing install of simutrans
Linux executable - simutrans and makeobj, copy over an existing install of simutrans

Use latest versions of simutrans and pak128.Britain as a base to copy these files over.

Notes:
As always, forwards and backwards compatibility with other versions are not guaranteed. If you get a crash on startup check that you've deleted any settings.xml or default.sve file lurking around in your personal directory.
I've not tested all the new elevated ways, there might be problems there if I've made typos in the dats.
I've not been able to include all the source pngs to produce the now large numbers of elevated ways as it would be over the 10mb limit - as half height graphics are now in the Standard pak128.Britain images this isn't a problem.
Clicks to lower tiles at the edge of the map are not always detected - I think this is a more general problem?
Water height at edge of map must be groundwater height, in theory... even so some weird things can happen when extending map edges...

Please let me know if you encounter more bugs :)

Dwachs

Impressive!!!

One note: in umgebung.cc, you do not need to change line 289/290, then old settings.xml will load without problems.

Edit: I cannot understand the 'Raise water tool'. Will it flood over a tile if the tile's height is equal to new water height? This seems unintuitive, as the patch supports also lakes with flat shore ??? This tool also does not understand the concepts of dams :D

Markohs

Oh, very nice work. :) And I see your patch and mine were much more compatible than I thought, you didn't had to make much adjustements from what I saw (I might have overlooked some details). Great!

kierongreen

Regarding umgebung - I've always incremented the release version by 1 so that existing games will be converted. When the patch is finally incorporated with a particular simutrans version this problem will be solved.

Raise/lower water does flood over all ground at the same level. This is so that you can create lakes where there is no water at present. I don't know whether it would be more intuitive to have different behaviour when the tool was used on existing water as opposed to on land?

A lot of changes that were made were just variables being renamed but a few required a bit more thinking than that! :)

Markohs

Will this be released on next release? I see it's not able to load old paksets, is there something that can be done to achieve that?

Doesn't this deserve to be relased as simutrans 113.0? We can incorporate it to trunk now and work on that release.

VS

Rather as Simutrans 200 :)

What is needed to make pak64 workable?

Markohs

pak 128 doesn't have support for this yet I supose, no? coudn't find it anywere. :)

Dwachs

Quote from: kierongreen on April 03, 2013, 11:15:08 AM
Regarding umgebung - I've always incremented the release version by 1 so that existing games will be converted. When the patch is finally incorporated with a particular simutrans version this problem will be solved.
You do not save anything patch-related in umgebung.cc, only a file->get_version query is touched, which is totally unrelated to the patch.
Raise/lower water does flood over all ground at the same level. This is so that you can create lakes where there is no water at present. I don't know whether it would be more intuitive to have different behaviour when the tool was used on existing water as opposed to on land?
I would expect the tool to raise water one level but not to flood over the next level: build a dam, then increase water level, without flowing over the dam.

And support for old existing paksets should be continued. Maybe creating some fake heightmaps by stretching the single-height tiles?

prissi

pak64 has a set of double height lightmaps. As far as I understood, those are the only 100% requirements. THis will of course disallow steep strees and such things.

kierongreen

In addition double height markers and grid tiles, along with more texture transitions are required. Where are the double height lightmaps?

prissi

I will search them on my old harddrive. (Somehow this sounds like greenling now  ;) )

Alex. Brose

Quote from: prissi on April 04, 2013, 11:00:45 AM
I will search them on my old harddrive. (Somehow this sounds like greenling now  ;) )
Haha. So right... ;-)

prissi

Auf www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~prissi/simutrans

liegen unter anderem farms.zip fields.zip, field2.zip. trees.zip, bridgesxxx.zip, die alle von Alltaken für pak128 für doppelte Geländehöhe gerendert. Leider ist meine Blenderdatei galube ich unvollständig.

panoramam-grey.png ist die heightmap.