News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simutrans.com site - general feedback

Started by IgorEliezer, February 03, 2013, 09:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

I have seen "Contribute" used elsewhere also, thought not necessarily as a replacement for "Development". However, "Development" doesn't sound quite right to me for a category that also includes making graphics and translations.

prissi

But contribution sounds for me like donation page ... But I am no native speaker. To me making graphic objects sounds also like pak set development ;)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: prissi on May 28, 2013, 08:33:02 PM
But contribution sounds for me like donation page
Hmmm.... you just made me remember a sleepy idea of mine.

Ters

Donation pages are usually labelled "Donate" I think. A major project I found even uses "Sponsoring" for development, in addition for "Contributing". (A sponsor seems to be a developer with commit rights that help contributors get their contributions reviewed and committed.) Google code also uses "contributors" for people that seem to be developers, with the other category being "committers". Another text I have seen is "Get involved", which is very broadly scoped, and includes testing and support.

freegamer

This is all nice but... where on earth are the screenshots?

You have what amounts to thumbnails leading to forum threads on the paksets page.  That's all I can see without going to the social media sites?

jamespetts

Seems to be working for me - this thread is at the top of the list because of your post...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: freegamer on July 11, 2013, 11:06:05 PM
This is all nice but... where on earth are the screenshots?
Yes, it's a good idea. :)

In fact the site was released almost 100% done, I guess there are still a few things that need to be implemented. We've done some fixes ever since.

IgorEliezer

The site can't get the news from the blog and the forum.

prissi

Could we change the download page a little bit. The actual download is well hidden.

First click goes to to another unexpected pages, which just tells you to run the installer. Not very useful, and will not work on Linux/MAC

Well, clicking on this page get~s you onto page 3. Here is only a very tiny link in a color very similar to the main text to click on.

Coudl we remove page number 2 and instead directly show something like page 4? Also a direct like to the sourceforge site (maybe with for older versions or source code) or so would be extremly helpful.

At the moment a download was rather difficult.

An_dz

First, you're getting the Windows installer download link because you are on Windows. Use a Linux machine and you'll see the Linux download. Same for the other platforms. If it's an unsupported platform (like iOS, Android, Windows Phone) you'll get a page listing the available platforms.

For older versions there's a dedicated link below the download box. Those links are more visible now.

I'll think on a way to remove the d3 page.

Clicking on SourceForge below the download button in front page will also redirect to Simutrans project page at SourceForge.

prissi

The pak128.german was not updated 91 days ago. But thanks for adding the new version.

An_dz

I use the time it was uploaded on SourceForge.

prissi

Ups sorry, I ment the pak129.comic has a new 0.3 release. This was missing.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I don't think this is a server-side problem, but I'm investigating. :)

Ters

If the server is returning HTTP 500, then the server is at fault in one way or another.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Not necessarily. For example, permissions problems can return HTTP 500, which is not what I would classify as a "server" problem. :)

A test.php functions, so it's not basic php functionality, so far.

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 02, 2014, 08:02:45 AM
Not necessarily. For example, permissions problems can return HTTP 500, which is not what I would classify as a "server" problem. :)

If it's the client that don't have permissions, I would still classify this as a server problem, because the server is sending faulty response codes. It is saying that it is at fault (5xx means server is at fault), when it is the client that did something wrong (4xx means client is at fault). If the server doesn't have permissions, then that's the server's problem.

By the way, I noticed that the server redirects me from www.simutrans.com/ to www.simutrans.com/en/, so whatever fails is after that part, or because of that part. It is a bit strange that the server is giving out a 500 without writing anything about it in the logs.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Finally got errors printing...

QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected ''pak128.japan'' (T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING), expecting ')' in /home/s/public_html/lang/globalvars.php on line 120

Someone removed the closing parenthesis and comma. It was a code problem, but it appears to be resolved.

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 02, 2014, 04:10:28 PM
Finally got errors printing...

Good. Although it is a good thing that simutrans.com doesn't spit out error details to the client, which is/was default for php, it is equally important that errors are printed someplace safe where the admins and webmasters can find them.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ters

That depends on what you define as server. It certainly didn't happen on the client (although our DBAs at work call our webservers clients).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

That perhaps explains things a bit better.

The problem was in the code, so it was a code problem, not a server problem. I wouldn't say it was a server-as-opposed-to-client, I'd say it was website-as-opposed-to-browser. So we're talking past each other until now. :)

sdog

I wonder how much admin-power was wasted on such errors, that are almost inherently built into php. (It's such a fuss to test it on the client side, a good language ought to have safeguards such simple syntax errors don't end up on the server.)

Ters

Detecting errors before runtime? That's soooo 20th century. (Unfortunatetly)

IgorEliezer

It seems the problem was sorted out.

Thanks Isaac and other involved with the solution. :)

An idea from other topic:

Quote from: Markohs on February 05, 2014, 08:49:48 PM
This can be solved adding in www.simutrans.com a sub-tab named "Get source code" to the "Download" menu. Or just expanding the "download" with more versions, I'd add linux 32-bit and 64-bit versions, with no dynamic libraries if possible, a MacOS X and a "Sourcecode" link to the github mirror or a .zip with the release code.

But this is just a suggestion, ofc. :)

An_dz

Sorry, it was my fault, but right after the change my HDD died. It took me some time get a new one and re-install some stuff.

nopeftw

I would like to make a suggestion. The homepage would be even better if there were more screens of each pakset, rather than just a small preview image. Otherwise, it's great!

An_dz

I have updated the site to auto detect if you're using Linux x64 or i686 in download page. Report with your user agent if you got it wrong.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

32-bit Linux here - looks like it works for me. I know that's not what you were looking for, but still. :)

An_dz

prissi

Given that we had so many nice screenshot contestes, a seperate screenshot category with the description of the images as submitted might be a great addition, if someone feels motivated to give the website some more love ...

And pak64.nippon is missing:
Website https://github.com/wa-st/pak-nippon/releases/download/v0.2.0/pak.nippon-v0.2.0.zip