News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Checking in and out (hiatus thread)

Started by Matthew, February 22, 2021, 05:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

People going on hiatus is a natural and normal part of Simutrans life. But people tend to just disappear without trace, which can be demoralizing to our generous contributors.

So this is a thread where people can check in and out.

I am checking out!  ;D I like to have connections between my input (reading books, listening to podcasts, watching TV/films/videos) and my output (playing and modding games).

For Christmas and my recent birthday I got half a dozen thick books on ancient history, 20th century East Asia, Christian epistemology, and other topics that are unrelated to Simutrans. So I am unlikely to be following this forum closely much in the near future. But no doubt I will return at some point.

Thank you to all the devs and other contributors who make Simutrans so much fun!
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

KneeOn

I've been recently checked out but this week i've started working on painting again - I played a bit of GTA, a bit of Football Manager and was studying.

Yona-TYT

I was working on the scenario tutorial, but honestly I've been a bit unmotivated due to a little patch being rejected for no apparent reason
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,20764.0.html ) :/ , so now I am experimenting with some web design in JavaScript.

prissi

This was not rejected. Just I usually do not touch the scripting code and Dwachs maybe overlooked it.

Matthew

Next week I am starting at a new school and the Rugby League World Cup will start to eat up a lot of my free time, so I am going on hiatus from Simutrans. See you at some point in the winter!
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Matthew on October 11, 2022, 08:26:13 PMNext week I am starting at a new school and the Rugby League World Cup will start to eat up a lot of my free time, so I am going on hiatus from Simutrans. See you at some point in the winter!
See you !.

At the moment I am active testing and correcting the tutorial script. :P

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: Ranran on indefinite leave on April 01, 2022, 12:00:05 AMWe are pleased to announce that we have started developing extended fork for our habitat Jalapagos.

As I mentioned two years ago, we had planned to create an extended fork for Jalapagos. This is because simutrans-extended is designed for the British culture, whereas Japan has a strange culture that differs from most of the rest of the world and is often derided as "Jalapagos". For example, the signaling system, the system of getting on a train standing up, and the way of thinking about cities are very different.
We decided to focus on it because of the growing demands and limited time within our community. It's finally time.  Think of it just like OPRP for standard. We hope we can show some deliverables next year. Hope to see you again next year when the cherry blossoms are in bloom.
I have to make a disappointing report. Disgusted with THLeaderH's destruction of road traffic features (It has been pointed out that there is a problem with multitile city buildings, but unfortunately Pakset Work was interrupted before testing) and his attitude, the project manager ranran quit the project and the project was discontinued.

(In particular, that ranran likes buses and provided many brilliant bus assets, anyone who got the previous one will know.)
So I lost the reasons and motivation to contribute to Simutrans. In particular, THLeaderH's rant was very unpleasant, (well, I was kidding with the forum all the time, but I think I was sincere for the bug), so I wanted to leave Simutrans.

As a result, we decided to quit Simutrans playing and development work and play another game. Now I'm so enthusiastic about playing another game, and I don't have time for Simutrans anymore. Now I enjoy war games with ranrans, and there are still many games I want to play.
I am convinced that I am not irresponsible as him (apart from coding skill), so I want to solve a known issues someday.
But now I want to leave Simutrans. A hobby that is not fun is not a hobby. Playing games makes me forget unpleasant things. Therefore, I take an indefinite hiatus.

In the work of the EX-15, I had to recreate almost the consist order UI as mentioned earlier, so I was in the middle of the work. (Maybe James's recent changes have caused many conflicts. But I don't have time to deal with it.)
In a few months, when I'm feeling better, I'll remove the Japanese comments and commit the WIP. I don't want to do that right now and I don't have the time.
The proverb "Time is Money" has been in Japan for a long time. In modern times, excess entertainment is provided, then especially for Japanese people who have less free time, time is very valuable.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Junna

prissi

No time is very familiar.  There is a cartoon on that that sums it up pretty well:
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/inversion
Good luck with all your future projects.

Roboron

I've seen it summed up in this image

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Matthew

Quote from: Ranran on indefinite leave on April 02, 2023, 09:51:12 AMI have to make a disappointing report. Disgusted with THLeaderH's destruction of road traffic features (It has been pointed out that there is a problem with multitile city buildings, but unfortunately Pakset Work was interrupted before testing) and his attitude, the project manager ranran quit the project and the project was discontinued.

You are talking about the ex-JP project, right? It's very unfortunate that this project was launched on 1 April last year; I thought it was an April Fool's Joke. I would have supported it more if I'd realized it was a real project.

QuoteSo I lost the reasons and motivation to contribute to Simutrans. In particular, THLeaderH's rant was very unpleasant, (well, I was kidding with the forum all the time, but I think I was sincere for the bug), so I wanted to leave Simutrans.

As a result, we decided to quit Simutrans playing and development work and play another game. Now I'm so enthusiastic about playing another game, and I don't have time for Simutrans anymore. Now I enjoy war games with ranrans, and there are still many games I want to play.
But now I want to leave Simutrans. A hobby that is not fun is not a hobby. Playing games makes me forget unpleasant things. Therefore, I take an indefinite hiatus.

My personality is similar. Half the year I play Simutrans and half the year I play Paradox games or the rugby league game. I think that going on hiatus is a normal part of Simutrans life. If isn't fun to play or develop, don't do it!

QuoteI am convinced that I am not irresponsible as him (apart from coding skill), so I want to solve a known issues someday.

In the work of the EX-15, I had to recreate almost the consist order UI as mentioned earlier, so I was in the middle of the work. (Maybe James's recent changes have caused many conflicts. But I don't have time to deal with it.)
In a few months, when I'm feeling better, I'll remove the Japanese comments and commit the WIP. I don't want to do that right now and I don't have the time.

That's fine, in my opinion. We are all volunteers. You have made many improvements to the Extended UI so your contributions will make players happy for a long time. Thank you so much!

QuoteThe proverb "Time is Money" has been in Japan for a long time. In modern times, excess entertainment is provided, then especially for Japanese people who have less free time, time is very valuable.

Japanese work hours are crazy. I hope you can make the most of your free time!