News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Patch: rework warning about doubled loaded objects

Started by Dwachs, November 12, 2022, 04:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

I found the message window about doubled objects highly annoying. So I tried to change it to be more user-friendly and still easy to access.

Here is a patch, which consists of several pieces:

1) the warning is only issued if the checksums of objects differ, identical copies of the same object will no longer trigger the warning.

2) instead of smashing the warning into your face at startup, the warning is added as message to the message box (and appears in the ticker if allowed by user settings)

3) clicking on the message opens the full warning

4) clicking on messages in the ticker either jumps to the coordinate for the message under the cursor, or opens a message window.

See the screenshot

patch-doubled-warning.png

As attachment: zip containing patch queue (or one big patch file rework_doubled_paks_warning.patch)

What do you think?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Dwachs on November 12, 2022, 04:20:15 PM4) clicking on messages in the ticker either jumps to the coordinate for the message under the cursor, or opens a message window.

I don't understand why the duplicate objects window has coordinates ?, if it is an object that appears many times on the map (such as a building) it means that it will show a long list referring to the same object but in different coordinates ?. ???

makie

Quotethe warning is only issued if the checksums of objects differ, identical copies of the same object will no longer trigger the warning.
If a pak is double it is a error.
The pakset should be corrected. Hide the warning an the error will be never corrected. 

Dwachs

Having accidentally the same pak/object twice is not an error. Imho. And the warning is not terribly useful. You do not know, where the two objects came from.

prissi

I agree somewhat that identical objects should not trigger a modal windows. However, a warning should be still written to the log upon and indentical double object. This problem mainly affects pakset def\veloper and thus looking in the log files is ok for this.

Dwachs

This now submitted: r10803--r10808.

The log (with -debug 2) contains full info about overlaid object. The program itself warns about overlaid objects only if checksums differ. The warning is in the message box (and ticker if permitted). The full window can be opened by click on ticker/message.